Sore Toe

MING

My OH has a sore big toe. There's nothing to see at all - toe looks normal - but the side of the big toe he says is sore. If the covers in bed rest on his toe, or when he puts shoes on, its sore. So just when something is touching it, its sore. And he says the foot feels "funny" underneath on the pads of all the toes. He is asking what this is & what he should do ?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Presumably he's a type 2 diabetic since that is the forum you posted on. I would tell him to see his DN or GP as soon as possible to check it as you can't be too careful with your feet when you've got diabetes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ming,

It's best he gets this investigated, make a appointment to see his gp who may refer him to a podiatrist.

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depending on waiting times you might want to see a private podiatrist/ chiropodist (they are the same thing), I did about a toe nail and it was only about £20 and I got an appointment the next day.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi
overly sensitive toes and feet could also be a type of Gout, so definately worth a trip to the doctor to decide
Crofty

Silverbob

I had similar problem with tingling and painful feet it was eventually diagnosed as neuropathy which
is the diabetes destroying the nerve ends in your feet.

MING

What did they do about it SB, or is there nothing they can do ? Did they give you any advice ?

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
I have the same problem with my feet. High blood glucose makes it worse, low blood glucose and it eases off. It feels like my feet are on fire sometimes and other times it is as if I'm walking barefoot on pebbles and then there's the kind of numb feeling but I still have some sensation in my toes and sometimes, when my feet are really bad, even light cotton socks feel like I am wearing steel wool on my feet! My doctor gave me Amitriptyline (taking 1 or 2 at night). He said that they use this medication often to treat type 2's nerve pain in their feet... It is also used as an antidepressant but not in the dose they prescribe....

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a sore big toe too (have had it since last Sept), when I went for my annual review the nurse said it was fungal nail infection, then didn't tell the GP, so back to see him on Friday so will see what he says.

I've also had the sort of problems that Eiche describes but not so bad. I was put on Amitryptyline for IBS and it also helped my feet but it made me put on weight and pushed my blood sugars up so I would watch that Eiche. Citalopram (a SSRI anti-deperessant) can also help with neuropathy but it can also lower your blood sugar slightly.

Silverbob

My Neuropathy has turned into a disaster I'm afraid,over aperiod of a few years I was prescribed Tramadol pain killers 400 mg.Amitriptyline 75mg.Gabapentin 300mg x6 daily I still get a lot of pain
feet burning and sensation of walking on stones.For the past 6 years I've had to get about in a wheelchair outdoors,but not everybody gets it so badly

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Postby MING » 07 Feb 2011 13:31
My OH has a sore big toe. There's nothing to see at all - toe looks normal - but the side of the big toe he says is sore. If the covers in bed rest on his toe, or when he puts shoes on, its sore. So just when something is touching it, its sore. And he says the foot feels "funny" underneath on the pads of all the toes. He is asking what this is & what he should do ?
From my experience sounds just like Gout ,same as mine started 1st Hit
the 2nd Hit 3 months later ow boy you cant Imagen how that hurt
Big toe is the most common place for gout to start.
Good thing if it is GOUT can be fixed with a Pill (Allopurinol) i take one every day

Try Asking GP for blood test for Gout (tests for uric acid)

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gout/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If its Neuropathy its Grin and bear it with pain killers :? I know coz i have it :(

Get him off to the GP

Bob

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Silverbob said:
My Neuropathy has turned into a disaster I'm afraid,over aperiod of a few years I was prescribed Tramadol pain killers 400 mg.Amitriptyline 75mg.Gabapentin 300mg x6 daily I still get a lot of pain
feet burning and sensation of walking on stones.For the past 6 years I've had to get about in a wheelchair outdoors,but not everybody gets it so badly

Oh my goodness, and I thought my feet were feeling bad! I find that all my foot problems ease significantly when I have good control of my BG. It is really disturbing in the beginning to feel constant pain in your feet before you are told what that is all about and I wish doctors would be more sympathetic to this. My foot examinations were ok every time as far as pulse in my feet and sensation was concerned and I did tell them about the pain and burning sensation and so on. Usually they told me to just deal with it as it's part of having diabetes, but two weeks ago I insisted he'd give me something as I couldn't sleep with the pain anymore.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to GP on Friday about my sore toe. He couldn't work out why I had a sore toe, but took some clippings to send off for fungal nail infection but said it was unlikely (results will take two weeks to come back).

As my sore toe arrived when I started wearing my winter shoes last September, his suggestion was to wear sandals indoors at work and give my toe a rest from shoes, so will give this a go. Also he did say that it may be nerve related.