Type 1 Unexplained rise in morning since taking Anastrozole and Atorvastatin any one else ?

R0salindM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type one diabetic (20 years) and completed chemo in Dec last year. Over the past 1-2 months I have noticed a spike in morning blood sugars. I have less of an appetite so often test myself have coffee and meds Anastrizole and Atorvastatin. Two hours later even after a walk my bloods can be 5-7 units higher. Any ideas ?

Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Atorvastatin and other statins are known to raise bg levels.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry, just noticed that this is your first post as a new member. A warm welcome to the forum.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The morning rise in blood sugar could be related to the coffee, caffeine can cause a rise for some people. Maybe try decade coffee and see if you get the same rise? It could be related to dawn phenomenon/feet on the floor syndrome - not eating anything for breakfast can make that worse, your liver thinks you're starving so pumps out glucose to keep you going for the day, but you don't have any insulin to deal with this. Have you basal tested recently to check to see if you are on the right basal dose? I imagine the stress of the cancer and the medications could have changed things.

R0salindM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The morning rise in blood sugar could be related to the coffee, caffeine can cause a rise for some people. Maybe try decade coffee and see if you get the same rise? It could be related to dawn phenomenon/feet on the floor syndrome - not eating anything for breakfast can make that worse, your liver thinks you're starving so pumps out glucose to keep you going for the day, but you don't have any insulin to deal with this. Have you basal tested recently to check to see if you are on the right basal dose? I imagine the stress of the cancer and the medications could have changed things.
Thanks catapillar I have recently not fancied breakfast, apparently Anastrozole ,(similar to Tamoxifen) can affect your appetite. l may give some Q acting in morning and see how it goes or perhaps increase my basal as you suggested..

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much its ironic that one gets put on a statin because being diabetic increases risk !
When I started taking Pravostatin “because all diabetics must take them” and I was less informed than I am now my hba1c rose from 48 to 54. Due to other side effects I came off them and my bs levels soon dropped and hba1c has been between 38 and 35 for the last 4 years

Reactions: Freema and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started taking Pravostatin “because all diabetics must take them” and I was less informed than I am now my hba1c rose from 48 to 54. Due to other side effects I came off them and my bs levels soon dropped and hba1c has been between 38 and 35 for the last 4 years
There does not appear to be any increase in my Hba1c; of course, that might mean that it would be lower than it it now without them.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There does not appear to be any increase in my Hba1c; of course, that might mean that it would be lower than it it now without them.
I had noticed that my BS had risen but when I mentioned that I’d read about the possibility of a rise in Hba1c to my DN at my next 6 monthly review she told me ‘not to believe everything I read in the papers’ her face was a picture when I told her it came from the drug company’s website. I was also having dizzy spells and sleep issues so stopped taking them for a while and my symptoms improved so told dr I wasn’t going to take them anymore which he agreed to and my next hba1c was lower.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much its ironic that one gets put on a statin because being diabetic increases risk !
I think that the risk is increased by having bad blood sugar control rather than necessarily the diabetes itself whichever Type.
Hence no statins for me.

iHs

All hormone tablets have some degree of side effect that may influence blood sugar levels but just go with the flow and if using insulin inject a bit more or less. I also take atorvastatin 10mg which was needed because my LDL cholesterol had risen to equal my HDL mainly because of eating low carb and high fat like butter, full cream greek yogurt, cream cheese, coconut oil. Once I stopped eating so much fat and eat vegetables a bit more like cauliflower, green leaf cabbage, spring greens, sprouts, green runner beans, a small amount of carrot, frozen peas, my LDL started to drop. I now take atorvastatin every other day and it's never given me any side effects. I do get leg cramp a bit but when that happens, I know it's because my Vit D levels have dropped but once I start taking Vit D once a week, the leg cramp goes.

Hope you get on the mend again with C and welcome to the forum. I drink instant coffee on and off all day long....the kettle is always on in my house and it's had no effect on bg levels that I'm aware of. Maybe ground coffee is a bit more potent but I can't afford that as I don't have a coffee machine.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on statins for some years before I was diagnosed with T2; in retrospect I feel they were one of the things that pushed me into diabetes. I actually discovered their relationship to increased glucose levels not long after I was diagnosed, and mentioned this to my DN, who just told me they were good for me. Eventually refusing to take them any longer resulted in a noticeable (but not huge) drop in my levels. I don't see the point in taking them "just because" if they actually cause me other health issues... :banghead:

Robbity

Reactions: Daphne917