What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB, @DJC3, and @Prem51,

Personally, I especially like Spanish wines -- especially those dry, heavy, spicy ones with little acidity. I have to admit, though, the French and Californian wines are also quite fabulous.

Btw, I seem to have read somewhere that a higher alcohol content usually translate into lower sugar levels.
oooh!! That's naughty about the sugar content.
My personal Spanish favourite is Conde Valdemar @ziggy_w

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tips and links DJC3 and ianpspurs. You are probably correct about my own dressing ( murphys law ). Eating out, when i have time is never a problem, as i can always find something or some option (skip or postpone meal ) . But when working and you have 15 mins to refuel its tricky. Ta

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like your choice @SueJB. I have a decent stock of San Antolin Navarra Reserva 2005 as Waitrose regularly have offers on this so it is a good go to when I don't want a good one. Also found a reasonable cheapy Rioja via Groupon which looks and tastes better than its price. But as they all say in my neighbourhood, chacun a son gout

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Like your choice @SueJB. I have a decent stock of San Antolin Navarra Reserva 2005 as Waitrose regularly have offers on this so it is a good go to when I don't want a good one. Also found a reasonable cheapy Rioja via Groupon which looks and tastes better than its price. But as they all say in my neighbourhood, chacun a son gout
Nice choice @ianpspurs. I can also recommend Haza, a lovely red and there's also Faustino

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone
5.3 this morning and I have been in the 5 range for several days now, so am thrilled!
This morning I decided to skip breakfast for the first time, and now I'm wondering if that was wise
with being on Metformin? I just have the one tablet (used to be three) but it's always with breakfast.
Will it mess up my system to not have that until lunchtime?
Would appreciate some advice

Hi @Mal37 I think @ziggy-_w is right and it doesn’t matter too much when you take Metformin. I’m on 2x day normally take with breakfast and evening meal. If I skip breakfast I take with lunch instead.
Quite often I forget to take it anyway and that doesn’t seem to make much difference either.

Ziggy thanks for the high alcohol low sugar theory. It works for me!

@SueJB and @ianpspurs some interesting recommendations. I’ve never ventured much into Spanish reds maybe too many cheap Riojas in my youth have put me off. Time to revisit I think.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry, @SueJB and @DJC3 -- I think I have expressed myself ambiguously :wacky:-- What I meant to say was that during the fermentation process sugar is turned into alcohol, so that the more alcohol is in the wine, the less sugar is left in it. Of course drinking loads of it, also leads to lower blood sugar levels, as we all know:D.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched this link, can’t believe how much there is to learn, thanks for that link - gonna find him on Facebook now. Fascinating.
@flexi06 The person to thank for that is @ziggy_w . I learned loads from that but I distilled it down to meat is good so steak and salad is a winner for me!

Last edited:

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Then thankyou @ziggy_w yes we need an “ easy “ option on a menu sometimes, there seems to be a plethora of Italian or spicy restaurants and as we don’t “do” spicy and Italians are mostly pizza or pasta you need to try to mix it up a bit and it can take the “choice fatigue” away lol yet more re-education for my palate- I’ve never been that big on meat- I’m not a vegetarian but I often ate meat free meals. Ah well it’s amazing what we are capable of if we want it enough- I would never have guessed I could lower my carbs to such a massive degree and it not be the end of the world but it’s really ok.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@SueJB, @DJC3, and @Prem51,

Personally, I especially like Spanish wines -- especially those dry, heavy, spicy ones with little acidity. I have to admit, though, the French and Californian wines are also quite fabulous.

Btw, I seem to have read somewhere that a higher alcohol content usually translate into lower sugar levels.

I like wine.
Don’t mind where it comes from as long as it tastes good for me.
Quite like St Emilion and wine from the Haute Medoc, both not far from where my parents live. Or from Languedoc-Roussillon, Alsace, Rhône or Provence. My sister lives in the Cognac Petite Champaigne Crus, so a nice cognac please, from a small producer.
Had some pretty good wine in Hungary and in the Balkan countries and strangely some Columbian wine in Panam City (don’t ask).
But scotch - if that was all that people ever brewed or fermented or distilled, then just give me scotch.
Cheers :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sorry, @SueJB and @DJC3 -- I think I have expressed myself ambiguously :wacky:-- What I meant to say was that during the fermentation process sugar is turned into alcohol, so that the more alcohol is in the wine, the less sugar is left in it. Of course drinking loads of it, also leads to lower blood sugar levels, as we all know:D.
I wonder what "loads" is?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I like wine.
Quite like St Emilion and wine from the Haute Medoc, both not far from where my parents live. Or from Languedoc-Roussillon, Alsace, Rhône or Provence. My sister lives in the Cognac Petite Champaigne Crus, so a nice cognac please, from a small producer.
Had some pretty good wine in Hungary and in the Balkan countries and strangely some Columbian wine in Panam City (don’t ask).
But scotch - if that was all that people ever brewed or fermented or distilled, then just give me scotch.
@dunelm you're totally right, all good stuff. my sadness now is not be able to drink a Tokaj or a coteaux du Layon

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like wine.

Goodness, I now have wine envy. What a lovely list.
I’ve never got into scotch though, which is probably just as well.