GP and feeling ignored

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Most meters have a memory function. Mine can accessed by keeping the button pressed to switch on. Take the meter to your GP or A&E and show them these high figures.

Reactions: Prem51

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
if the local A&E closed up early.

Even my local hospital's MIIU is open 24hrs, 7days a week, 365 days a year. However, they cannot treat anything that would require hospital admission. I wonder which hospitals don't have 24hr A&E departments? Not really A&E or are we meant to restricts accidents and other emergencies to 9 to 5.

I did see an out of hours service GP with a BG level of only 23, just got sent home and told to see my own GP on the Monday.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya,

My GP refuses to believe that I am diabetic because I have depression. My blood sugar level has been as high as 33.3 which has landed me in hospital but my GP is still adamant that it's just my mental health. The diabetic nurse at my GP surgery said if my blood sugar has been 27.5 and 33.3 than I have to be diabetic because of my high blood sugar and that both my parents have diabetes. I just want to be taken seriously, I feel like doctors are taking me seriously due to my mental illness.

-thegeekyblonde

Well this is just insane, such a high blood sugar is obviously not normal and that doctor is simply wrong. Had it occurred to them that you may be suffering from high blood sugar causing depression? If you ask some diabetics, many of them will say they have depression/anxiety. It's because blood sugar affects your brain, affecting mood, concentration, tiredness etc so diabetics often have those symptoms. What a hopeless doctor! I hope you get treatment soon, and a competent doc!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It was reported recently that ketones being checked as routine in a&e was being hugely encouraged.
Our a&e has a ketone tests bin on nursing station.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Warning.

There is a whole lot wrong with this thread. It does not ring true. Yesterday a moderator closed several other threads that started with exactly the same opening post - with different user names.

I hope I am wrong.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Replies to one of the other threads where directed to this thread so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Replies to one of the other threads where directed to this thread so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.
Same. I’d rather have a bit of time wasted if it helps someone in a potentially life threatening situation.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Warning.

There is a whole lot wrong with this thread. It does not ring true. Yesterday a moderator closed several other threads that started with exactly the same opening post - with different user names.

I hope I am wrong.

Bluetit - It isn't altogether unheard of for new members to end up creating additional accounts; mainly for totally benign reasons.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and Gents - If members have nothing positive to add to the thread, then it would be helpful for them not to participate.

Should anyone have any concerns they feel need to be brought to the Moderators' attention, then the Report button works very well for this or a PM.

Thanks in anticipation.

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
please do keep on at your gp, and if all else fails, go to a&e, you could always attend a different hospital a&e if you feel your current hospital are dismissing your symptoms.
I was told there was nothing at all wrong with me and it was all psychological right up until the day I was diagnosed. The day before I was diagnosed I was rushed to hospital via ambulance struggling to breath. They refused to do any tests and said it was due to anxiety.
Next day I ended up at another hospital (this one has a bigger resus area and intensive care unit) after collapsing in the street.

Following a simple finger prick test they discovered I was more than likely in dka, my blood sugar when sent to the lab was 49mmol and ketones were 5.5
My ph level was 6.9 and no one thought I would make it..

Basically what I’m trying to say is that because we trusted the medical professionals, I Almost died. You know your body best, keep fighting for answers, even if they find out Your are not diabetic (even though your readings are extremely high) they should still search for the reason you feel like this.

Please feel free to pm me if needed

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
UPDATE: my mam has been able to get me an appointment with a newer gp at my surgery on Thursday, hopefully I'll be able to not feel ignored. Thanks

-thegeekyblonde

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
If you are under a mental health team ask them to advocate for you. I work in mental health. Why have you not contacted your mental health team if you are under one. They would get this sorted and ensure relevant professionals see you prompt. They could also put in a safeguarding against your practice for professional negligence.

Have them call your practice and mention Safeguarding. You will get seen and sorted believe me!

Good luck..

Reactions: Energize
D

Deleted member 308541

I wonder which hospitals don't have 24hr A&E departments? Not really A&E or are we meant to restricts accidents and other emergencies to 9 to 5.
All of the public hospitals here in Australia have 24 / 7 emergency departments with a triage system. Private hospitals do not have them though.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Not quite true mate ... a fair few do

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All of the public hospitals here in Australia have 24 / 7 emergency departments with a triage system. Private hospitals do not have them though.
Sometimes we have to travel a fair distance to an A & E, but they are available and open 24/7

Reactions: Petaluk

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I learn something every day, I'm pleased to say. A&E departments are indeed open 24/7. Then there are Minor Injury and Illness Units, our local one is 24/7. Then there are Urgent Care Centres which if the NHS blurb is correct, are manned by GPs and emergency nurse practitioners, rather than A&E doctors and nurses, and will not be open 24hrs. There seems to be thousands of Urgent Care Centres, most towns being within 10 miles of 3 or more. I never knew we were so well provided for. Add to that the out of hours GP service, I feel positively spoilt.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I learn something every day, I'm pleased to say. A&E departments are indeed open 24/7. Then there are Minor Injury and Illness Units, our local one is 24/7. Then there are Urgent Care Centres which if the NHS blurb is correct, are manned by GPs and emergency nurse practitioners, rather than A&E doctors and nurses, and will not be open 24hrs. There seems to be thousands of Urgent Care Centres, most towns being within 10 miles of 3 or more. I never knew we were so well provided for. Add to that the out of hours GP service, I feel positively spoilt.

In some instances, the Urgent Care Centres are manned by the Out of Hours GPs, so there is a maximising of manpoewer/potential cost saving there.

I just feel very fortunate that if I become quite unwell, there are services I can access without firstly checking my bank balance and making sure I have a credit card and insurance policy number in the pocket of my nightie.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
UPDATE: the doctor said that i had unusually high amount of glucose in my urine and very low amount of sodium in my urine as well, they said to stop drinking so much water but i always have a dry throat no matter how much water I drink.

-thegeekyblonde