cramps

macj

Dislikes
everything bad in life
anyone getting severve leg cramps at nite. mines are terrible any suggestions to get rid of them

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Tell your GP and he prob give you Quinine tablets Worked for me :)

Also try sweeps light tonic water has small of quinine , i find also helps with hart burn

Bob

macj

Dislikes
everything bad in life
thanx for that have been drinking a whole litre of tonic water with quinnie in it to c if it helps but to no avail will ask doc for tablets i think seriously sore cramps wakens me up afew times every nite.

jaykay

Night cramps are horrible! There are various schools of thought about the cause but 2 of the most prevalent theories are mineral deficiency ( likely if you are on a restrictive diet ) and de-hydration which can of course be a side effect of diabetes. So, make sure potassium and magnesium levels are good by eating the appropriate foods/supplements and that you maintain good hydration levels through the day-not just last thing at night. Hope it helps :D

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Just athought
and i hate to keep asking people this same question when they mention leg cramps,
Are you on any kind of statin tablets?, i was and for years i suffered legs cramps a lot in the night, with my docs permission i came of my statins and within 2 or 3 months no more cramps !!!
as another experiment i went back onto statins at a much lower dosage, but after a few months the cramps started to creep back again
worth asking and considering with your doc perhaps?
Thanks
Crofty

bowell

Dislikes
I dont take statin tablets?

Still had cramps :? Until GP put me on Quinine tablets :)

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
I used to get the diet tonic water from Nett'os supermarkets, it was cheap enough to buy loads and drink loads..lol,
and it worked without putting my levels up, but if i stopped drinking it then the cramps came back, thats why i looked for the cause rather than the cure
thanks
Crofty

DeafDiabetic

What I did find helpful with me (may not work for everybody?) was to chop up a half banana and mix it with just enough tonic water to make it drinkable and mix it up vigourously then drink it all in one go. Tastes horrible but seemed to work with me (banana contains potassium and tonic water contains quinine).

bowell

Dislikes
for info

2nd thread on Cramp already running at:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18653

Muscle loss can also cause cramp

muscle mass is lost when glucoses are uncontrolled. There is some tissue breakdown, and there is considerable loss of "electrolytes". These are salts that are present in all tissues of the body, and are abundant in muscle. When they are lost, the muscle becomes very prone to a cramping pain.

macj

Dislikes
everything bad in life
cheers for the advice. was at docs today got quinnine and spoke to dietician (think thats how you spell that) they want to sort out my carb intake and exercise so now keeping log so fingers crossed.

Tony B

I had this, check you medication, i was on 40g of simms at night and my girlfriend check on the internett and if you take this volume of tablets and with the other medication for T2 it can cause really bad cramps that keep you awake most of the night.

im now on 29g of simms at night, no leg pains at all happy days

tonyb

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I'm on 40g too, and get cramps, but then again I got cramps before I took the meds 8)

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Ask your doctor for an exercise chart for leg cramping at night, I opted for the exercise instead of medication and it does help :)

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I find that if I can remember not to stretch when I first wake I dont cramp up :)

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Drink a large G & T every night. The quinine in the tonic reduces cramp and the alcohol in the gin reduces bg!

All the best Steve