Feeling Fobbed off !!

Bubbles 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 on the 6th March with a level of 61; after nearly a month of coping with getting my head around the facts ,low carb diet etc monitoring how foods affect my blood sugar and losing nearly a stone . I was feeling I’d got a grip of thing . I got to see the dr who deals with diabetics today, to say I feel completely fobbed off ( I could use a different word but I’m being a lady today) is an understatement, He didn’t look at any of the information I had, most of them below 7 mmol/l apart from a few blimps (Chinese)told me diet alone to control it is a waste of time, seemed annoyed when I turned down going to a class, seem shocked that i told him that I didn’t really want to take meds and demanded to know why I didn’t want to take them ,went on about how I am damaging myself if I don’t, He has put me on statins and metformin 500mg for a week then 1000 from the second week [ more than my dad took after being diagnosed for 30years) he controled his for 20 years with diet) . He went on about blood pressure , mine has always been “normal” . I took the meds but will not be touching them until I have gone further with the low carb diet and returned to see him with results . I went home had a cry from sheer anger at letting myself be railroaded, Is this the way drs treat us all or is it because I’ve just got a knob of a dr, SORRY for the rant :mad: Going for a swim to work it off so I don’t eat a big bar of chocolate :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Completely understandable. In my opinion, diet is key to improvement. People who must take medicine or insulin to treat their Diabetes also have to take their diet seriously. Fobbed is the right word.

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 on the 6th March with a level of 61; after nearly a month of coping with getting my head around the facts ,low carb diet etc monitoring how foods affect my blood sugar and losing nearly a stone . I was feeling I’d got a grip of thing . I got to see the dr who deals with diabetics today, to say I feel completely fobbed off ( I could use a different word but I’m being a lady today) is an understatement, He didn’t look at any of the information I had, most of them below 7 mmol/l apart from a few blimps (Chinese)told me diet alone to control it is a waste of time, seemed annoyed when I turned down going to a class, seem shocked that i told him that I didn’t really want to take meds and demanded to know why I didn’t want to take them ,went on about how I am damaging myself if I don’t, He has put me on statins and metformin 500mg for a week then 1000 from the second week [ more than my dad took after being diagnosed for 30years) he controled his for 20 years with diet) . He went on about blood pressure , mine has always been “normal” . I took the meds but will not be touching them until I have gone further with the low carb diet and returned to see him with results . I went home had a cry from sheer anger at letting myself be railroaded, Is this the way drs treat us all or is it because I’ve just got a knob of a dr, SORRY for the rant :mad: Going for a swim to work it off so I don’t eat a big bar of chocolate :)
Sorry for your bad experience. Seems to me you were doing the right things. Please stick with it. My recent experience - I handed in a letter to Health Centre reception requesting a blood test form be posted out. Stood there for several minutes while the person poured over it. I was about to point out that I hadn't asked her to read it, just to pass it on to the DN. After several more minutes, I asked, "So, is that okay then?". Yes it was, apparently. What a relief to have my request approved by someone who knew nothing about it. The outcome - no form. I will now waste a doctor's appointment to fetch it myself.

Reactions: connie104

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep doing what you are doing. It is working. If you keep going and are seeing great results by the time of your review tests, take the unopened pill boxes with you or you will most likely be told it was the pills that did it and you will be back with another rant. I am appalled at your doctor, particularly as he is the diabetes GP.

As a matter of interest, what was your cholesterol breakdown that made him give you statins?

Reactions: eggs11 and dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coo - you got to see a doctor after diagnosis!!
You are honoured (note sarcasm mode is ON)
I am 18 months from diagnosis and not seen my doctor once. Maybe I am being too proactive and getting normal readings flips the switch to OFF. I am probably being saved from high blood pressure interludes.

Bubbles 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep doing what you are doing. It is working. If you keep going and are seeing great results by the time of your review tests, take the unopened pill boxes with you or you will most likely be told it was the pills that did it and you will be back with another rant. I am appalled at your doctor, particularly as he is the diabetes GP.

As a matter of interest, what was your cholesterol breakdown that made him give you statins?
All added up 6.2 triglyceride 1.8, HDL 1.5, LDL 3.9 possibility not as good as it should be , but I think he should have waited to see what is is now after my changes . They took blood today so I hope it wold have improved in the last 4 week

Reactions: dbr10

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor is a knob ! .. very much like mine who believes that diet won't help.
I threw the metformin in the bin after feeling really ill on them and have controlled very well with diet alone.
Stick with what you are doing, it sounds like you have more of a grip on this than your GP ever will have ! :banghead:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coo - you got to see a doctor after diagnosis!!
You are honoured (note sarcasm mode is ON)
I am 18 months from diagnosis and not seen my doctor once. Maybe I am being too proactive and getting normal readings flips the switch to OFF. I am probably being saved from high blood pressure interludes.
I’ve not seen the Dr for diabetes since I was diagnosed about 5 years ago.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem with this story is that once you find out that many doctors don't know much about how nutrition can help resolve diabetes, then you start to worry about what else they don't know about. Being diabetic has rocked my faith in anything but acute medicine.

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He sounds worthless. My old GP was like that so I stopped seeing him. You are doing the right thing just find a new GP.

Bubbles 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely not taking the medication my dr gave me , got my new results today, so in 4 weeks my bloods have gone from 61 to 52 and my cholesterol has gone from 6.2 to 4.7 so onwards and upwards with diet control, thank you for the encouragement to keep doing what I’m doing :):)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great reduction in a short time. Does show you (shame your GP didn't wait to see these results) that what you are doing is working, Keep up the good work. Well done.