Same meal - why different results?

paulloseby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a newly diagnosed Type 2 but I am trying and slowly getting to grips with things but please tell me; why if I have a meal one day, it gives me one blood sugar result and a week later, exactly the same meal gives me a totally different reading?

I'm cutting my carbs down but last week, had a treat of half a M&S lasagne with side salad. Before dinner I was 5.6 and 2 hours later 6.3 which I thought was reasonable. I had exactly the same meal yesterday. My reading before dinner was low at 4.2 but two hours later 8.4. Why?

I had the same breakfast as I always have this morning. Normally I get 4.9-5.3 before and 6.3 or so, after. Today it was 11.9 after. Can someone explain please?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul, all I can say is it is not and never will be an exact science. So many other factors come in to it, mine changes if I'm at work or not at work, exercising or not exercising, in a mood or not in a mood and on and on, also the food itself can be different every time you eat it whether it's carb counted by M&S or a recipe of your own. I am sure others will be along soon but as a matter of interest what was your breakfast and was it the EXACT same components?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the last reading is a rogue reading.

It could be a number of things, just to give you an idea,
Not or washing hands,
Drying hands,
Different finger or hand,
Time of day,
Portion size,
Different ingredients or sides,
Different packet of strips, finger prickers.

As you see, it can vary, it is also skewed by what part of the month, hormonal stuff, wether you have a cold, mood, stress!

A rogue reading can throw you out!

It is not an exact science!

However, what you are looking for is a bit of uniformity, a detailed diary of food, portion, and wether you are two mmols higher than your pre meal reading.

One of the things you are looking for is trends, if you notice that the same portion is more or less the same, then you are not doing enough to reduce either your weight, fat threshold, your insulin resistance, your blood glucose levels.
If as your good readings show, your are getting regular readings around normal levels, then you have that control, and you can start introducing some carbs, but you must still test to see if your blood glucose readings are stable.
Your body likes stability.
Your body doesn't like foods that spike you.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you seem to be doing okay!
You must be doing something right!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
You know it was exactly the same meal, but your body thinks differently. Your body takes other things into account, particularly : the weather, the exercise you've done over the last couple of days, if you're about to go down with a bug. If you start with a higher bg, you may need more insulin for the same effect.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
before dinner was low at 4.2 but two hours later 8.4. Why?
This one could have been your liver panicking and giving you some 'helpful' glucose to keep from going too low.
Normally I get 4.9-5.3 before and 6.3 or so, after. Today it was 11.9 after. Can someone explain please?
This one looks more like a dirty finger.

Both could also be you developing a cold or such, which gives you higher numbers, or just diabetes being an ass that likes to muck around with us sometimes.

paulloseby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really appreciate your replies and help. I thought it was confusing at the start - I'm even more confused now.

Again, I really do appreciate your help

Kindest regards

Paul

Reactions: porl69

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My reading before dinner was low at 4.2 but two hours later 8.4. Why?

I suggest that if the 4.2 was a true reading, your liver kicked in and dumped glucose in addition to whatever was in the meal because it saw you dropping low. That is what the liver does.

Or, the 4.2 could have been a rogue reading, especially if you rarely see levels that low before dinner.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really appreciate your replies and help. I thought it was confusing at the start - I'm even more confused now.

Kindest regards

Paul
I try to keep in mind that its the overall picture which matters. I got some odd readings, or my body has weird days for no apparent reason, but my basic average over the weeks and months is good, so thats OK.

Its not something we can pass or fail, we can just do our best, work with our bodies, and look at things long term.

all the best, Lucy

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Kindest regards

Paul
Hey @paulloseby

I know these things can be confusing in beginning. I'm also a newly diagnosed type-2 (1 and half month since my diagnosis), I've been researching but the things are still quite confusing sometimes. However, as much as I understand how the diet affects the glucose levels of body depends on various factors. For example, maybe the last time you eat that food, you might have exercised it a bit intense than the latter one. I know these things can be confusing, for some basic information, I recommend you to read this blog: https://zovon.com/health-conditions/diabetes/

I hope you find it useful just like I do!