Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, I need a bit of help, I have recently started taking Bisoprolol and the last couple of days I've had constant hypos. I've looked at the side effects and it didn't say anything about causing low blood sugars. Is there anyone else on these that has had the same issue?

Reactions: Freema

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Hey everyone, I need a bit of help, I have recently started taking Bisoprolol and the last couple of days I've had constant hypos. I've looked at the side effects and it didn't say anything about causing low blood sugars. Is there anyone else on these that has had the same issue?

Bisoprolol reduce heart rate. It does not affect blood glucose level. I monitor a diabetic type 2 patient taking Bisoprolol for a year plus so i am pretty sure about it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Zebeta (bisoprolol fumarate) is a type of antihypertensive drug called a beta-adrenergic receptor blocking agent (beta blocker) used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure). Zebeta is available in generic form"

"Zebeta may interact with other medications including other beta blockers, heart medicines, clonidine, digitalis, disopyramide, guanethidine, rifampin, insulin or diabetes medication you take by mouth,"

One thing it can do is reduce awareness of a Hypo. Some beta blockers are known to do this.
It also can interact with steroids

Must add am not 100% sure of differences of it's its affect on T1 or T2

https://www.rxlist.com/zebeta-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Royally

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
It has effected my blood glucose in that it that been higher than usual. Not allot higher but enough. Since I have started taking it. I have not changed my diet and this is the only thing that is different
T

D

Deleted member 308541

This thread rang a bell, Just tested after taking my bisiprolol and my other medications with breakfast. I was 5.5 before eating and 5.4 after two hours.

Royally

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take any other medication and bs have gone from low 5 and under 5 to 6 and above. Was 42 on my a1c....had one done recently and will be curious of results.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @No1DeadlyPoison, I am with @JohnEGreen. It is a beta blocker which blockers the usual hypo signs caused by adrenaline (fast pulse, sweating, pale skin etc).
It may not be lowering blood sugar, but disguising the first symptoms.
It is also a pretty heavy duty beta blocker with a long length of action, which probably does not help either.
Ref: medicines.org.uk

D

Deleted member 308541

I had another look after dinner bgl after taking bisoprolol 5mg and the rest of the evening medication, before dinner it was 5.3 and two hours after was 5.8.

Dinner was steak and veggies which included a couple spudlite's.