licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
has anyone tried it?
im craving carby foods, pasta bread and potatoes and im so dam weak ive been caving in
im like a kid whos told they are not allowed it...........i then have it because i want it :(
obviously my glucose levels are getting high again
https://lodough.co/

Reactions: Freema

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There’s a few alternatives...

Slow roasted radishes for roast potatoes
Konjac rice, pasta and noodles instead of the the regular ones
LivLife bread is only 3.6g carbs a slice

They all taste a little different, but I’ve found they fill the gap left by the carbs x

Reactions: NannyP 2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
has anyone tried it?
im craving carby foods, pasta bread and potatoes and im so dam weak ive been caving in
im like a kid whos told they are not allowed it...........i then have it because i want it :(

I haven’t tried it, have you seen the price?! It’s around £2 per slice, depending what size pack you buy.
I use HiLo bread from Sainsburys, 5g carb per slice and in my view tastes like ordinary wholemeal bread.
I use butternut squash or Explore Cuisine products in place of pasta. I use butternut squash, swede or celeriac to make alternative mash or chips.
It is tricky to kick carb cravings initially, but a bit of will power in the first place then I got used to the alternatives and think of them as foods in their own rights now not substitutes. I actually prefer butternut squashetti in place of spaghetti for a bolognese now! :hungry:

Reactions: Mal37

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve tried it and felt it was a tasteless experience it looks like plastic and has no flavour in my opinion. Had a taster box but binned much of it as didn’t work for me. I wasn’t keen on white bread anyway so this may have meant I was less likely to like it. Preferred seeded and wholemeal.

Prefer following bread alternatives
Live life bread from Waitrose at 3.8g of carb
HiLo from Sainsbury’s at 5g of carb
Diet doctor keto rolls which you make yourself and are only a couple of grams of carb each

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Edited to add lots of great ideas on diet doctor would recommend their fathead pizza family prefer this now to real thing. Plus although I haven’t done this others have mentioned that the pizza dough works for pie toppings too it’s one I plan to try at some stage.
None of the above impact my bgs at all

Last edited:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
has anyone tried it?

There are low carb options -

Bread:
LivLife (available from Waitrose)
High protein roll (available from Lidl)
Keto bread (lots of recipes on YouTube).

Celeriac:
Cut in medium slices, boil for 5 minutes then roast or fry like chips and tastes so much better than potatoes!

Pasta:
Lots of Keto pasta recipes on YouTube.

....Absolutely no need to suffer!!!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I’ve tried it and felt it was a tasteless experience it looks like plastic and has no flavour in my opinion. Had a taster box but binned much of it as didn’t work for me. I wasn’t keen on white bread anyway so this may have meant I was less likely to like it. Preferred seeded and wholemeal.

Prefer following bread alternatives
Live life bread from Waitrose at 3.8g of carb
HiLo from Sainsbury’s at 5g of carb
Diet doctor keto rolls which you make yourself and are only a couple of grams of carb each

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Edited to add lots of great ideas on diet doctor would recommend their fathead pizza family prefer this now to real thing. Plus although I haven’t done this others have mentioned that the pizza dough works for pie toppings too it’s one I plan to try at some stage.
None of the above impact my bgs at all
Oooo I must try that Waitrose bread! Not heard of that one before and I do miss cheese on toast occasionally :)

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
There are low carb options -

Bread:
LivLife (available from Waitrose)
High protein roll (available from Lidl)
Keto bread (lots of recipes on YouTube).

Celeriac:
Cut in medium slices, boil for 5 minutes then roast or fry like chips and tastes so much better than potatoes!

Pasta:
Lots of Keto pasta recipes on YouTube.

....Absolutely no need to suffer!!!
I am going to have to start sitting with pen and notepad next to me to write down some of the suggestions I keep seeing on here! I love the sound of the Celariac ...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
7A95428E-4FB1-4EB3-A997-74A7A0EE2D01.jpeg
Oooo I must try that Waitrose bread! Not heard of that one before and I do miss cheese on toast occasionally :)
It makes a good sardine toastie too!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum!!! Ha haa :)
Think I will be shopping tomorrow!
I fry a piece in coconut oil to go with a curry and also pop in oven with garlic butter for garlic bread it also makes good toast. I freeze in small packs so there when need toast or fried bread!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I fry a piece in coconut oil to go with a curry and also pop in oven with garlic butter for garlic bread it also makes good toast. I freeze in small packs so there when need toast or fried bread!
I am picking up so many wonderful ideas from everyone! I cannot wait to start experimenting more :)

Reactions: shelley262

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am experimenting from time to time - I can make Yorkshire puddings with cream, water, eggs and bread flour - leaving out the milk and 1/4 of the flour from my usual recipe seems to work only too well.
I plan to make small amounts of flatbread in various ways so as to discover what I can eat - though these days my carb tolerance is a lot higher - I just need to ensure that I don't start to gain weight.
I have waited 18 months to start to experiment, so my tests are not so useful, as I can eat so much more and not spike these days.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some lo-dough. It's extortionate, and it's tasteless pap, but oh i did enjoy slapping a load of ingredients between two slices of bread and stuffing it in my face! I think it's about 4 years since I had a cheese, onion, tomato and mayonnaise sandwich and you know what? It was worth two quid :D