Is my chemist harming my health?

deadwood2

Well, if your prescription is to be repeated, there will be a repeat slip attached. No need to shout about getting a spare.

Talk to your pharmacist; s/he will now the score.

Find out what the timetable is for moving paper round the place. The internet has revolutionised most businesses, but is totally dismissed along with telephones and indeed fax and post by most practices. Most surgeries are, technologically speaking, back in the days of whisky and a hacksaw.

Most Surgeries only despatch scripts once a day. And they only accept repeat slips once a day. And then local pharmacies consolidate the delivery and receipt of scripts and slips, so if you're like me, where the pharmacy I want to collect from has to send and receive stuff from the consolidating pharmacy that has the vans, if I miss a run somewhere, call to collection can be a week. And the total distance is less than 800 yards.

In a word, (or two) get real. You can't walk in and out with drugs in ten minutes. It takes days of planning, and you need a couple of week's supply tucked up your sleeve for the sort of **** up you speak of. Leave the aforementioned slip with the pharmacy, ring them about a week ahead of requirement, and hope that leaves enough slack to cope.

I'm still not sure who are my friends in this battle, but I am pretty convinced that the pharmacies aren't the crims. Jury's still out on GPs. (But the management consultant says they're unbelievably cr*p at the basics).

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
deadwood2 said:
Well, if your prescription is to be repeated, there will be a repeat slip attached. No need to shout about getting a spare.
With the repeat, you still need to go to the GP to get it converted into a prescription, dropping off a repeat prescription is no quicker than ringing up or filling in the form online (if your GP lets you request prescription online), so as the delay appears to be with the GP there could still be problems.

You shouldn't need to 'shout' to get a spare prescription, why on earth would they refuse to supply one, especially for something harmless like metformin?

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
In our health centre repeats are dealt with by the secretary, that frees up the Dr's and speeds up the system, you only need to see the doctor for changes. Because there are several pharmacies in the area, you choose which one gets your script which creates healthy competition, our meds are usually delivered to our door within 2 days of the request going in.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
As i live in a village my GP has a dispensary too. They say to allow two working days, and i always allow 3 or 4.

A few times i'd gone in for my prescription and they have had everything but my insulin.

So i complained this had happened a few times, the head chemist man person :lol: apologised and asked me to let him know that i was ordering insulin when i dropped my repeat off. So i have ever since and now my prescription is always ready.

i've also learnt the lesson of ALWAYS order BEFORE you run out the hard way :lol:

viv1969

deadwood2 said:
In a word, (or two) get real. You can't walk in and out with drugs in ten minutes. It takes days of planning.

Maybe not in ten minutes, however I can drop off my repeat at the surgery on Monday morning...pick it up Tuesday morning and have it filled at my regular pharmacy in 10 minutes.

Whichever way it's viewed, the service (or lack thereof) ShyGirl is receiving is totally unacceptable.

Clairslloyd

Sorry you are having a bad time with your Meds. I use Boots - about 4 miles from where I live. I would highly recommend this as there is no chance you will be without meds (4 weekly service). If they don't have it in stock (usually my morphine), they get it for the same afternoon. Sounds like you need to change your gp and chemist. Don't be nervous or scared to complain, it sounds like you have every right to do so. Hope all works out :roll: