Type 2 Beer

Bigbumcooper

Hi All, last December my bloods were 17 and generally now between 5.8 and 8. I have been sticking to the odd red wine or G&T but am really missing a pint of bitter. Does anyone know if it would be ok occasionally to have a couple of pints?

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, last December my bloods were 17 and generally now between 5.8 and 8. I have been sticking to the odd red wine or G&T but am really missing a pint of bitter. Does anyone know if it would be ok occasionally to have a couple of pints?

Well done! The only way to know is to test. For me alcohol lowers my BG but beer gives me a small rise so I have it on occasion.

Reactions: Bigbumcooper

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Well done @Bigbumcooper

Like you I love my Lager - but too much .... probably one of the reasons I ended up here!

As I have said before, I had a long standing affair with Stella, but we split up. I now have a nice relationship with Gordon ... and a few Beefeaters!!! I do however still see Stella occasionally - just old times sake!

So in answer - I have now discovered the wonderful world of G&T, but do occasionally have the odd lager - in my very humble opinion, it works for me, and I am a very healthy bunny these days.

H

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd say if you do try it, don't just monitor your immediate before and after blood sugar levels, but also watch what happens to appetite, weight and fasting levels for a few days afterwards. I just couldn't keep alcohol in my life while losing weight and keeping blood sugars low.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby is a very big beer fan. His staples now are Resolution, by Marston’s, you can order it on-line and if you buy 3 cases, delivery is free. It is a specifically low carb beer, at only 3g carbs per bottle I think or his newly discovered one is Brew Dog Nanny State, actually a low alcohol as well as pretty low carb beer, which is, apparently, really good (he always thought low alcohol beers a complete waste of space). He can have 2 or 3 bottles a day with no problems.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After I got diagnosed I cut out beer totally ( about 8 months), when I got my BG under control I though as it's Xmas I'll have a beer or 3 . I found it quite difficult at first as I decided only real ale would pass my lips, not John smiths and other such rubbish. I now have a couple of pints once a week and have not suffered any ill effects. I must admit to getting completly " bladdered " ( maybe 5 or 6 pints) on 2 occassions, My Birthday and when I met up with some ex work colleque. Didn't really effect my BG up maybe < 0.5 only problem was in my inebriated state I went for a donner kebab with the lads !!
I think a pint or 2 does you good it reduces the stress of being diabetic.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know if it would be ok occasionally to have a couple of pints?
Hi Bigbumcooper,
First your numbers are looking great well done.

Ok so beer plenty of people on here still do so is it Ok? Yeah sure. BUT why did you give up beer in the first place? Beer (liquid bread) gives you a beer belly the beer belly smothers your liver with fat which gives you T2 diabetes. :meh::banghead:

Your numbers are so close to reversed why would you want to jeopardise that?

Speak to anyone whose numbers have crept back up its when the added something back into there diet and ended up slipping back in to old habits.

NOW IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY THIS FOR SURE but looking at your numbers I would guess if you keep going the way your going your a couple of months away from hitting non diabetic numbers, reversed diabetes.
That would be a good time to have a beer. ;)
:bag:

Bigbumcooper

After I got diagnosed I cut out beer totally ( about 8 months), when I got my BG under control I though as it's Xmas I'll have a beer or 3 . I found it quite difficult at first as I decided only real ale would pass my lips, not John smiths and other such rubbish. I now have a couple of pints once a week and have not suffered any ill effects. I must admit to getting completly " bladdered " ( maybe 5 or 6 pints) on 2 occassions, My Birthday and when I met up with some ex work colleque. Didn't really effect my BG up maybe < 0.5 only problem was in my inebriated state I went for a donner kebab with the lads !!
I think a pint or 2 does you good it reduces the stress of being diabetic.

All sounds like the answers I want to hear!! Off to Whitby for a couple of days and a pint or two instead of red wine sounds good

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All sounds like the answers I want to hear!! Off to Whitby for a couple of days and a pint or two instead of red wine sounds good
I find on a day out I stick to 3 pints max and a couple of glasses of red wins with a G&T maybe( apart from my 2 slips ups) does you the world of good, feeling normal. Keep away from the kebabs though !!!:):)

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!

@Bigbumcooper ...., a pragmatic approach, good call.

I soooo love Whitby, but not been for a couple of years. Intend to go sometime this this summer with the ‘memsahib’ and dog. I’m looking forward to a couple of drinks in the Dolphin and definately a visit to the Magpie for fish and chips .... and then a long walk along the beach to Sandsend.... and possibly up the steps to the Abbey.

Not something I would do every day - or that often, but once in a while will do you no harm. We all make the changes we have to in order live longer and remain healthy ...... so live it!

Enjoy the day.

H

Gazzamius1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having a beer.

Hi i always drink Marstons Resolution 2grams carbs per bottle.... not the greatest ale on the planet. but definitely quaffable when cold. i love it. go to there website at Marstons ale check out the shop for marstons resolution. 24 bottles £24.99
Be Lucky Gaz

D

Deleted member 464700

Hi i always drink Marstons Resolution 2grams carbs per bottle.... not the greatest ale on the planet. but definitely quaffable when cold. i love it. go to there website at Marstons ale check out the shop for marstons resolution. 24 bottles £24.99
Be Lucky Gaz
I have found Skinny Beer and Holsten Pils are good and low carb as well