Type 2 Nerve tingles in strange places

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a recently diagnosed T2. My BG was about 21 at diagnosis a about 8 days ago. I have brought it way down via Keto diet and it’s now running between 6 and 8 depending on time. So over the past few months I’ve had nerve tingles in my hands and feet which I expect, but also near the groin area, especially when peeing. The groin tingles went away pretty quickly once my BG went down but I just felt them again and I’m at 7 presently. Is this normal? Is this an odd place for tingles? What does this mean? I’m also feeling them in random places in my legs and arms but not all the time. Thoughts? I’m not freaking out but also I am. Thanks for any insights.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a recently diagnosed T2. My BG was about 21 at diagnosis a about 8 days ago. I have brought it way down via Keto diet and it’s now running between 6 and 8 depending on time. So over the past few months I’ve had nerve tingles in my hands and feet which I expect, but also near the groin area, especially when peeing. The groin tingles went away pretty quickly once my BG went down but I just felt them again and I’m at 7 presently. Is this normal? Is this an odd place for tingles? What does this mean? I’m also feeling them in random places in my legs and arms but not all the time. Thoughts? I’m not freaking out but also I am. Thanks for any insights.

well yes you are going down in blood glucose very rapidly , no wonder your body is reacting to it, note that the blood glucose inside one's eyes is the last place to go down... but I think you are doing great, keep on the good work and also keep measuring your blood glucose every day and gain total control, you seem to have the spirit to do that.. and stay in the green area
50shades - Copy.png

Reactions: JMcB

tubsmacker

I have had tingles in my toes
Experimenting this week by taking vitamin B12 seems to have reduced by 50 % so far.
Tingles can be a symptom of B12 deficiency which I don't think could be due to the keto diet but metformin can cause it it seems primarily for high dosage users

Bear in mind that all diabetics are seriously deficient in Thiamine (vitamin B1 as well (source: University of Warwick diabetes research unit Prof Paul Thornally )
You would do well to watch the you tube video with Professor Thornally

Reactions: windhover and JMcB

ohneclue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Experimenting this week by taking vitamin B12 seems to have reduced by 50 % so far.
Tingles can be a symptom of B12 deficiency which I don't think could be due to the keto diet but metformin can cause it it seems primarily for high dosage users

Bear in mind that all diabetics are seriously deficient in Thiamine (vitamin B1 as well (source: University of Warwick diabetes research unit Prof Paul Thornally )

The fat-soluble form of B1 called benfotiamine is normally prescribed for diabetics in the UK. It is available over the counter in the USA and I use it to help my kidneys recover from their Class 3 B (not a good level in the USA) and now my kidneys are normal. It is my understanding that it also helps with nerve tingling. If your nerve tingling is infrequent or changes locations it can be more normal than abnormal.

Reactions: windhover and JMcB

Caxialoopy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi I have also had tingling in my toes and very fidgety legs with it, especially at night. It lowered when I reduced my Metformin from 2000mg to 1500mg and then again when I started taking R Alpha Lipoic Acid (I was already on 1000 microg of B12/ Methylcobalamin) so now hardly notice it. However I now have tingly lips and very sore tongue which I've been told by my acupuncturist is likely to be due to relationship between stomach acid and pancreas problems ie diabetes related argh. My diet is already pretty good, low carb virtually no sugar etc so a bit stumped as to next step. Didn't think about B1, I guess I should check that out as well. Do you think B1 could help with the tingly lips/ tongue issues? Sorry to moan, feeling a bit yuck atm :(

windhover

So that intermittent unpleasant tingling feeling in the soles of my feet that makes me feel odd all over and is very difficult to ignore may be related to my T2 diabetes? Even though I'm very low carb and well under control.
I first felt it when I was in labour with my first child (29 hour long labour, nil by mouth) 5 years before I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia and 16 years before I was diagnosed with T2.

And vitamin supplements might make it go away? Hoorah! I shall get some B1 / B12 tablets and some ALA and see what happens.
I had no idea that I might be vitamin deficient. I eat eggs daily and nuts, tuna and mackerel often (all supposed to be good B1 / B12 sources).
Is the fat-soluble form of B1 called benfotiamine better than the standard B1? and what dosage is recommended?

Thanks folks,
Hope you soon feel better JMcB and Caxialoopy.

Iban

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I too am T2 and was diagnosed October 2017 after years of cold tingling feet but it was a very itchy groin which took me to the GP where T2 was confirmed. I have opted to see an endocrinologist this month in order to get to the bottom of my symptoms.
I went to buy a blood glucose monitor and was told by the chemist that it could be provided by my GP on prescription but the surgery later told me that not for T2 as there is nothing to be done if readings are extreme.
Good luck to you, windover.

Tommelli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Realiy tV , Rudness/unkindness
I too am T2 and was diagnosed October 2017 after years of cold tingling feet but it was a very itchy groin which took me to the GP where T2 was confirmed. I have opted to see an endocrinologist this month in order to get to the bottom of my symptoms.
I went to buy a blood glucose monitor and was told by the chemist that it could be provided by my GP on prescription but the surgery later told me that not for T2 as there is nothing to be done if readings are extreme.

Tommelli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Realiy tV , Rudness/unkindness
Dont know where you live but I am type 2 (roughly over 30 years) I have never been refused anything from my excellent surgery. I thought in my ignorance that everyone got what they needed. I live in the South East of UK

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 I have the lose of fellings in my feet mainly toes and they tingle like h**l but after 55 years what more do you expect and I am now 72!

Iban

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dont know where you live but I am type 2 (roughly over 30 years) I have never been refused anything from my excellent surgery. I thought in my ignorance that everyone got what they needed. I live in the South East of UK
Very useful to me, Tom. Thank you. I come under NHS Scotland.

Caxialoopy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So that intermittent unpleasant tingling feeling in the soles of my feet that makes me feel odd all over and is very difficult to ignore may be related to my T2 diabetes? Even though I'm very low carb and well under control.
I first felt it when I was in labour with my first child (29 hour long labour, nil by mouth) 5 years before I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia and 16 years before I was diagnosed with T2.

And vitamin supplements might make it go away? Hoorah! I shall get some B1 / B12 tablets and some ALA and see what happens.
I had no idea that I might be vitamin deficient. I eat eggs daily and nuts, tuna and mackerel often (all supposed to be good B1 / B12 sources).
Is the fat-soluble form of B1 called benfotiamine better than the standard B1? and what dosage is recommended?

Thanks folks,
Hope you soon feel better JMcB and Caxialoopy.
Hi Windhover just a caution, I've found it best to introduce new vitamins, medicines etc one at a time so you can see which one makes what effect maybe give it a week or two for each before trying the next. Good luck :)

norenejk

Type of diabetes
LADA

norenejk

Type of diabetes
LADA
I'm not sure if I'm type 2 or 1 1/2. But 10 or so years before I was diagnosis, I would get tingling across my upper back. I still do to this day. It's when I'm eating when I believe my blood sugar is rising.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I got a meter and test all the time so I can monitor my BG. I have found it to be invaluable. Changing to a LCHF diet has brought my numbers down. The groom tingles from earlier are gone for the moment as are the ones in my ankles. Hoping this continues. Also taking B-12 and magnesium. I would suggest to pick up a meter. It’s a great feedback mechanism and allows you to have some control.