Hba1c?

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am Lois, I’m 10 years old I have been diagnosed for four months, I am still on the honey moon period and only give 0.5 units for 50g, my hba1c is 44mmol/ol 5.4.... is this too low and what can I do to raise it?
Will it go up after the honeymoon period ends?

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As long as you don't have too much hypo's this is a great hba1c!
Since you're still in the honeymoon period and by looking at your insulin to carb ratio you can see that your body is still producing most of the insulin and therefore your hba1c is almost "non diabetic"

Yes, unfortunately both will go up when the honeymoon ends, you will need more insulin and your hba1c will probably rise a bit, my diabetic nurse and I used to be aiming somewhere around 7 when I was a kid, just to be safe for hypo's.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry but are we really going to start engaging medically with a 10 year old and start advising them? Lois, please seek advice from your parents and medical team.

Reactions: Yai

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As long as you don't have too much hypo's this is a great hba1c!
Since you're still in the honeymoon period and by looking at your insulin to carb ratio you can see that your body is still producing most of the insulin and therefore your hba1c is almost "non diabetic"

Yes, unfortunately both will go up when the honeymoon ends, you will need more insulin and your hba1c will probably rise a bit, my diabetic nurse and I used to be aiming somewhere around 7 when I was a kid, just to be safe for hypo's.

Thank you it’s good to know, I am not having hypos at all well maybe 1 a week

Lois

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sorry but are we really going to start engaging medically with a 10 year old and start advising them? Lois, please seek advice from your parents and medical team.

Thanks for you help, but I am here to get information, for my age I am quite smart I know what I am talking about I want advice from fellow diabetics not my nurses… I know my nurses are probably the best to speak to but I am worried about my hba1c I don’t want it to go too low… please if you are not going to give me valuable information about my question please don’t reply! Thanks though <3

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lois, a hba1c of 44mmol/mol is great as long as you are not having a lot of hypos, which I can see from a previous reply you are only having around one a week which is very good.
When your honeymoon period ends you will find you will need more insulin that you are currently needing, however the honeymoon period will end gradually, so do not worry about it, you will have plenty of time to discuss this with your diabetic team when the time comes.
As you reach the age of around twelve and your body starts to develop more through puberty, you may find that your hba1c may go up quite a lot and your blood sugars may become slightly harder to control, please do not worry about this as this is normal, I am 18 and currently have a hba1c of 131mmol/mol, and despite my best efforts it is very hard to bring it down.

What are your blood sugars on an average day?

I would just like to say how grown up you seem, and I’m sure your parents are very proud of you, remember that having diabetes can sometimes feel hard, and make you feel down and sad, this is completely normal, and there is always a good network of people on here and also I’m sure at your hospital if you should need advice.

If you ever wish to chat or would like more advice, feel free to message me.

Good luck, carry on with the good work,

Jade xx

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lois, a hba1c of 44mmol/mol is great as long as you are not having a lot of hypos, which I can see from a previous reply you are only having around one a week which is very good.
When your honeymoon period ends you will find you will need more insulin that you are currently needing, however the honeymoon period will end gradually, so do not worry about it, you will have plenty of time to discuss this with your diabetic team when the time comes.
As you reach the age of around twelve and your body starts to develop more through puberty, you may find that your hba1c may go up quite a lot and your blood sugars may become slightly harder to control, please do not worry about this as this is normal, I am 18 and currently have a hba1c of 131mmol/mol, and despite my best efforts it is very hard to bring it down.

What are your blood sugars on an average day?

I would just like to say how grown up you seem, and I’m sure your parents are very proud of you, remember that having diabetes can sometimes feel hard, and make you feel down and sad, this is completely normal, and there is always a good network of people on here and also I’m sure at your hospital if you should need advice.

If you ever wish to chat or would like more advice, feel free to message me.

Good luck, carry on with the good work,

Jade xx

Thank you so much

My average bgs are around 5-12

Only today I was high, woke up high was high all day too

Thank you

Lois xx

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

What exactly is a hba1c of 131 mmol/l ?
You mean your estimated BG based on you hba1c level?
Just wondering, my hba1c is always shown in %

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What exactly is a hba1c of 131 mmol/l ?
You mean your estimated BG based on you hba1c level?
Just wondering, my hba1c is always shown in %

hba1c is 131mmol/mol which is equivalent to 14.1% I think and an average blood sugar of 19.8mmol/L

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hba1c is 131mmol/mol which is equivalent to 14.1% I think and an average blood sugar of 19.8mmol/L

Wow, that's really high!
I saw you were 18 years old, me too.
you think it's because of the time you go through that is so high? like stress at school or something.
I had some hard times when in puberty, still though my hba1c stood quite low at 7,9% but spending low half the day and the other half spending high adds up to a not so bad hba1c, although it wasn't really representative and my BG were bad at the time, and obviously they still are sometimes.
You have any idea what causes you're extreme high hba1c?

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Spablauw, sorry for the late reply, only just seen your message.

I think it is a mixture of stress/general illness/college/normal teenager/adult life lol!!