Bread ... why?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too, been low carb as a T1 and a children for all of my 50+ years except 6 months which I complied to hospitals and others telling me to eat bread and more carbs!! Ridiculous thing for me to do...soon ruled that out!
Eating a few more now about 60-70ish a day and on a very, very rare moon i o out to eat and always indulge in a pudding... but colon makes me for it the next day, so I do regret it afterwards but as this is barely once every year, well I eat it all.

Having to eat mushy veg and living butternut sq and parsnips etc its higher now for my bolus's as I also have to count things such as eggs as well for my bloods and insulin.

Mine stems from childhood though..just the way I ate..

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to love having toast with butter, a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon... it was such a nice comfort food haha.
Since being diagnosed I do still eat bread but mostly sourdough. As long as I inject, sourdough really doesn't rise me much at all. Other breads though... someone made me a toasted sandwich yesterday and it knocked me out despite injecting -___- when I woke up I was 11.2 mmol. I hate to think of the spike that happened! I really need to be more restrictive with what I eat again... I've gotten complacent.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it seems from this very long thread that many of us found bread the most difficult thing to give up If any of us has found they can eat a certain low carb bread of even a small slice of normal bread then why not have it. I have never seen the point of giving up what you don't have to or going lower carb than you need to

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was one of those 'guilty' about banging on over the loss of the Lidl rolls. I am certainly not hysterical about the fact that they are no longer around, nor am I throwing tantrums. I was not allergic to them and they didn't spike me if eaten in thirds over the course of a day, so why shouldn't I eat them as part of a low-carb lifestyle? In my view, being allergic to something is different from being able to accommodate it comfortably - of course if I was allergic to bread I wouldn't eat it, similarly if the Lidl rolls (and note this was the ONLY form of bread I ate since diagnosis) spiked me badly. Most of the Lidl thread posts were tongue-in-cheek anyway and many gave me a laugh, although granted there were a lot of them! Does it not all boil down to what suits the individual, what they can cope with and how they use foods in their low-carb way of eating to give them good results, rather than what someone else thinks they should be doing?

Rant over! I've had a bit of 'you should be doing this, why aren't you doing that, why ARE you doing that!' recently..... :(
Completely agree with you.
In fact I would go so far as to say why is anyone telling you what to do? Do your own thing.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Well it seems from this very long thread that many of us found bread the most difficult thing to give up If any of us has found they can eat a certain low carb bread of even a small slice of normal bread then why not have it. I have never seen the point of giving up what you don't have to or going lower carb than you need to

@Pinkorchid hussar!!! ..... well done absolute common sense!

I find Hovis lower carb bread VERY tasty ... in fact far more tasty than the white stodge I used to eat. I also enjoy Burgen Bread ..., I use both for the occasional sandwich and toastie ..... shock horror!!!!!

Both work for me so if it works for you ..... Bread why NOT!

H

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
As a "Pre-Diabetic" you probably can get away with eating bread and enjoy the versatility of using it in many forms-Many diabetics cannot however without worsening blood glucose levels,myself included so I totally "Get" wrapping fillings in lettuce leaves and the like for snacks and light bites.
No, I cannot get away with eating bread. I may have a slice of low carb bread once in a blue moon, but I know on a regular basis it would affect my BG..and still I cannot understand the lettuce wrap thing. It tastes no different as to if I were to make a salad of the same ingredients. I would much rather make a massive green leaf salad with ham cheese 4 cherry tomatoes cucumber and celery.

singsteve

check out Amylopectin A and you might not eat bread again

Nearly, all bread today comes from hybridized wheat. when we thought there would be a world food crisis (1950's) science mixed essential proteins and farmers were able to double their yield of wheat from each field (if you remember wheat used be 8 foot high in the field (not these days) Hardly, any IBS, gluten intolerance before this...

Amylopectin A is contained is many wheats as a starch and is capable of spiking blood sugar!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use heritage breeds of wheat and organic stoneground wheat for my bread making. But I recognise that i am lucky to live near a mill which does this.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I can testify that it is quite possible to put on weight without eating bread. You aren't exactly removing a food group by cutting out bread and it certainly won't lead to either malnutrition or starvation!
Adam I keep reading and re-reading your reply and cannot get your point. BUT, I think you may have missed mine - that is to say one can go too far with LCHF or any other crusade that entirely removes bread from one's diet.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Die of starvation?? Relying on bread or die??

I've not ate bread and still here! 6 months of bread when recommended by certain medics and other diabetic... well, no. Never. And I'm a T1 so can supposedly inject for it.

For me certain foods add to my colon problems and bread is certainly one.

If I have a slither of a piece my meds that night for my colon will have to triple..

I havent starved. Sure with cancer I lost too much weight but that was due to other problems. I got a good BMI of 21 and certainly not starved!!
Donnelly - I was just trying to reduce the madness about food in general being so so so bad for us. In your case you have my upmost sympathy and, of course, I left room for exception - notwithstanding the seriousness of your condition - you are surviving very well. Good luck go with you.

Last edited:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Die of starvation?? Relying on bread or die??

I've not ate bread and still here! 6 months of bread when recommended by certain medics and other diabetic... well, no. Never. And I'm a T1 so can supposedly inject for it.

For me certain foods add to my colon problems and bread is certainly one.

If I have a slither of a piece my meds that night for my colon will have to triple..

I havent starved. Sure with cancer I lost too much weight but that was due to other problems. I got a good BMI of 21 and certainly not starved!!
Donnelly - you have my upmost sympathy and my congratulations for living with such a serious condition BUT, of course, there was room for exception in my post.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
What "insanity" ? not eating bread because it spikes blood sugar? It's hardly a food essential now is it?
I never said that it was essential bulkbiker and "because it spikes blood sugar" so does EVERY CARB WE EAT - we are who we are and that is a creature that spent 5,000 years cultivating and crop rotating and making the human body as it is today and with its very necessary requirements for the ingredients that our ancestors developed. If we had stayed with their eating habits there would be no Type 2 Diabetes today BUT during the last five minues of civilisation we have become morbidly obese McD, KFC et al creatures. Long live oats, wheat and barley !!!!

Last edited:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adam I keep reading and re-reading your reply and cannot get your point. BUT, I think you may have missed mine - that is to say one can go too far with LCHF or any other crusade that entirely removes bread from one's diet.

If you read the text that I quoted from you in that post, it becomes more clear. I'll put the two together again for context:

STOP this insanity or die of starvation and not Diabetes - come on !!??

I can testify that it is quite possible to put on weight without eating bread. You aren't exactly removing a food group by cutting out bread and it certainly won't lead to either malnutrition or starvation!

I understand your point - that it is possible to go too far with a certain type of diet. I reiterate however that I don't think 'bread' is an essential food group. I don't eat low carb bread because I think I need to for nutritional value, I do it because I like it. I'd be more worried about removing all leafy veg from my diet for example. Although even there, I wouldn't tell people who do that that it is insanity and they will starve - because many people seem to handle it pretty well, and even say that they feel better for it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never said that it was essential bulkbiker and "because it spikes blood sugar" so does EVERY CARB WE EAT - we are who we are and that is a creature that spent 5,000 years cultivating and crop rotating and making the human body as it is today and with its very necessary requirements for the ingredients that our ancestors developed. If we had stayed with their eating habits there would be no Type 2 Diabetes today BUT during the last five minues of civilisation we have become morbidly obese McD, KFC et al creatures. Long live oats, wheat and barley !!!!
You seem to conveniently forget the hundreds of thousands of years when we didn't eat grains (or at least not domesticated grains). You stated Stop the Insanity... I don't think there is any" insanity" in not eating bread or trying to consume as few carbs as possible. I have no intention of starving and eat very well thanks. You were the one with the hysterical reaction to a simple question. Why eat something that we know has contributed to making us ill in the first place. To me it seems completely illogical but there are obviously many others who disagree.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Who’d have thought bread could be such an emotive subject? Just goes to show what a deeply engrained (excuse the pun) part of our culture it really is. While it’s only really been around for about ten minutes, evolutionarily speaking, our bodies haven’t really evolved sufficiently to be able to process it in the large quantities our western diets provide. And when you add in the extra hurdle diabetes puts in the way, a large proportion of us are even less well equipped to deal with it.

I’m don’t eat bread now, other than the odd slice of LivLife (3.6g carbs a slice, and I don’t need to bolus for a couple of slices), because I’ve found it’s impossible to manage my BG after eating it to a level that I’m happy with. Shame really, it’s nice. Hey ho.

But I am having sardines on toast for dinner ;)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who’d have thought bread could be such an emotive subject?

Tell me about it, I'm livid right now. I'm down to the crusts on my current loaf of LivLife, I really don't like them, and Waitrose complaints department seem to have blocked my number.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tell me about it, I'm livid right now. I'm down to the crusts on my current loaf of LivLife, I really don't like them, and Waitrose complaints department seem to have blocked my number.
Waitrose complaints department (like the BBC) are very good at fobbing off complaints I have found..Annoying as I like a good moan, no surprise there say lots of forum members!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the crusts. Send them all to me ;)

I await the PM with your address :)

BTW I had a look at your 'blog type thing' just now and really liked the visual style, the pics and the writing looks good. On my way out so will check out the recipes later.