Call From Doctor Regarding Low Blood Glucose Reading

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning, I went for my non-fasting Diabetes blood checks. I booked my appointment, as even though I have reversed it, (not sure which term to use sometimes), they still want me to have six monthly checks and my eye test. I don't mind as I'd rather keep on top of this.

About twenty minutes ago, I received a call from a concerned doctor because my reading was 2.2, (it was 2 something but at that point I was that shocked, I might have got the .2 wrong). I explained to him that I've radically changed my diet, barely eat anything like bread or potatoes and that I've lost 8 stone in about 18 months but it's all been done sensibly. I can't NOT eat, I have just cut out the majority of the junk I use to devour. I explained that the lower readings are generally before my midday/early afternoon meal more than any other time and they're usually in the 3 level.

I asked him if it was something to worry about and he did say that my diet change can do this. I wish he could see what I ate, it's just far healthier than it was before.

I have my appointment next Thursday with the Diabetic Nurse and the doctor did say that my Hba1c was good. I'm gobsmacked that the doctors and nurses are gobsmacked at what I've done, but that is more positive than negative. I admit though, that I'm a little worried now, given it was only hours after I had the test. I know you're not doctors on here but I just wondered if anyone else had something similar. I am elated, yet scared too. Thank you.

Reactions: Grannypat

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry there must be something wrong with the number you write here is it mmol or what is it ? was it the HbA1c that was that low ?

6 monthly chek ups ; is he in love with you... it seems crazy to spent so much time on a person that is in the non-diabetic area ? dont you have other diseases going on to explain all these visits ?

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning, I went for my non-fasting Diabetes blood checks.....
About twenty minutes ago, I received a call from a concerned doctor because my reading was 2.2, (it was 2 something but at that point I was that shocked, I might have got the .2 wrong). I explained to him that I've radically changed my diet, barely eat anything like bread or potatoes and that I've lost 8 stone in about 18 months but it's all been done sensibly. I can't NOT eat, I have just cut out the majority of the junk I use to devour. I explained that the lower readings are generally before my midday/early afternoon meal more than any other time and they're usually in the 3 level.

I asked him if it was something to worry about and he did say that my diet change can do this. I wish he could see what I ate, it's just far healthier than it was before

I reckon he was just phoning you to check you weren’t in a crumpled heap on the floor! :joyful:
He won’t be used to seeing levels like that from his Eatwell plate conforming Type 2s!

Reactions: flexi06

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Test result: 2.2
n = 1

I would call up a second test and check what the units are.
Please let us know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in agreement that the 2.1 appears so low (without symptoms) that it should have been re-tested. Even GP surgery machines throw out rogue results.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry there must be something wrong with the number you write here is it mmol or what is it ? was it the HbA1c that was that low ?

6 monthly chek ups ; is he in love with you... it seems crazy to spent so much time on a person that is in the non-diabetic area ? dont you have other diseases going on to explain all these visits ?

All I know is that he said my Hba1c was good. Given that I can only go on what I'm told, I can only repeat what he told me. My shock at the time stopped me barely getting any questions out to him. And no he isn't in love with me, it has been the protocol at our Surgery since I began there and I am more than glad they want to see me to check. They have been shocked that I have managed to do what I've done and understandably so, they want to check to make sure. It isn't crazy to check on me until they know that it is consistent and, fingers crossed, that is exactly how it will remain!
I reckon he was just phoning you to check you weren’t in a crumpled heap on the floor! :joyful:
He won’t be used to seeing levels like that from his Eatwell plate conforming Type 2s!
Lol, very possibly but at least he's on the ball. I have said this so many times though, they're reactions speak volumes when it comes to my turn around with the Diabetes. I'd rather that they checked to be sure. I will get more information next week at my appointment.
Test result: 2.2
n = 1

I would call up a second test and check what the units are.
Please let us know.
Will do hankjam. I will be at the Diabetic Clinic next Thursday to go through this but I have to say, my own readings have been in the 3's before midday a few times.
I am in agreement that the 2.1 appears so low (without symptoms) that it should have been re-tested. Even GP surgery machines throw out rogue results.
One thing that does make it difficult is that I'm in the Perimenopause and this can also cause symptoms similar to low blood sugars so I need to ask them about this. But, fingers crossed, I feel very good and I've not noticed anything untoward. I'll see what they say next week and I'll keep my regular diary of my own readings to see how that is at home.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but six times a month ... almost all others go 4 times a year .. what country do you live in ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Freema
‘Six monthly checks’ means one test every 6 months, not 6 tests a month.
Just one of the phrases that look a bit odd if English isn’t your first language. :)

thank you I am really stupid in not knowing this kind of expressions , hahaha .. sorry for all my stupid questions

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
but six times a month ... almost all others go 4 times a year .. what country do you live in ?
Hi @Freema
‘Six monthly checks’ means one test every 6 months, not 6 tests a month.
Just one of the phrases that look a bit odd if English isn’t your first language. :)

Thank you Brunneria for explaining that. A day of confusion and surprise in our household today xx :playful:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, a retest on your blood panel would be a good idea.
I too would question which result was the 2.2?
Because there are other tests that can give such readings and they are not blood glucose readings.
Something in that low reading would be hypoglycaemia.
If it was a fasting blood test, then other tests are necessary to eliminate other conditions. But they did say your hba1c is fine.
That is what got me a number of tests to get my diagnosis, my blood readings would be normal. My Hba1c would be normal, but I would get Hypoglycaemia following a high spike after three hours. And it was porridge that was the culprit when I had a hypo in the doctors office and they didn't have a clue!
But your are doing low carb.
It is confusing, isn't it?

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not where I'm from!

Trying to use big words really confuses those without the education to go with it!

Not all of us experience higher education! (Or even lower education!)

:):angelic::rolleyes:

Reactions: Aldebaran

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Except that is ambiguous, too. Twice a year, or every two years?

Wonderfully complex language, English.

Lol I think every two years would be biannually rather than biannual but who is counting?;)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just on that 2.2. Type 2s who go low carb can be a lot more tolerant of lower levels than their junk eating fomer selves so that could be why you presumably felt ok. Personally I would be very wibbly at 2.2 but then I am on insulin and my brain is used to higher sugar levels. But if you are now a fat burner then your brain gets ketones as well as glucose for fuel and generally likes that better!

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, a retest on your blood panel would be a good idea.
I too would question which result was the 2.2?
Because there are other tests that can give such readings and they are not blood glucose readings.
Something in that low reading would be hypoglycaemia.
If it was a fasting blood test, then other tests are necessary to eliminate other conditions. But they did say your hba1c is fine.
That is what got me a number of tests to get my diagnosis, my blood readings would be normal. My Hba1c would be normal, but I would get Hypoglycaemia following a high spike after three hours. And it was porridge that was the culprit when I had a hypo in the doctors office and they didn't have a clue!
But your are doing low carb.
It is confusing, isn't it?

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
I'm confused myself Lamont but I was shocked at the time. However, he did say that my Hba1c was good and when I described what I ate for my breakfast, he did ask if I ate porridge that is a slow release carb. It would be interesting to know if porridge worked similarly on me as it did you. I wish you could hear the doctors and nurses when they discuss my case because they are genuinely perplexed but delighted that I've done it. One doctor has asked if he can use my case in a future student class. I didn't think I'd done anything so momentous but I take it as a compliment.
Yes I am very low carb, barring parties, barbeques, etc, where I would devour someone's arm if they sprinkled salt on it but those occasions are few and far between. I've adapted to it without realising it too.
Yes this is so confusing and can look so complex especially when we sometimes have experts who don't agree with each other.
I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Lamont.
Just on that 2.2. Type 2s who go low carb can be a lot more tolerant of lower levels than their junk eating fomer selves so that could be why you presumably felt ok. Personally I would be very wibbly at 2.2 but then I am on insulin and my brain is used to higher sugar levels. But if you are now a fat burner then your brain gets ketones as well as glucose for fuel and generally likes that better!
I appreciate the information here Nicole, I didn't know that, although at the back of mind, I did wonder if I had become more tolerant over time. It's strange because on a Saturday, as a rule, we go to my in-laws and I call it a treat day. We eat white teacakes, pork pies, sausage rolls and a bun at the end, in other words, lots of carbs. I can eat like a horse so I fill my plate. But I have noticed now that on several occasions, when we're home and usually around 11.00pm, I feel sick, I can shake, my vision goes foggy and I feel awful. I said to my husband that I can't do this because of how it feels later on. I think my body is so attuned to eating properly, that it rebels when I don't. It just shows what junk was doing to me when I ate it and I really did eat a lot of it. Your post has helped, thank you.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But I have noticed now that on several occasions, when we're home and usually around 11.00pm, I feel sick, I can shake, my vision goes foggy and I feel awful.
Sounds like your blood sugar is low. Maybe you should have a quick look at the reactive hypoglycaemis forum and see if it rings any bells?
Congrats on annihilating the T2 :)