85% dark chocolate

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the sound of these. Breaking bars up into equal pieces is always a bit tricky. I had a look at the Hotel Chocolate site and found, to my surprise and pleasure, that they have 3 stockists in my town including a shop of their own and John Lewis, so no postage to pay. I shall certainly look out for BOGOF offers.

Hotel Chocolate 100% buttons are not evenly sized either though :(

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that is the best "first world problem" I have heard for some time.

Ha ha! I just mentioned it because @Alexandra100 was thinking the Hotel Chocolat buttons were a good idea because she was finding breaking chocolate into evenly sized pieces tricky!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Currently £6 for a 230g bag, £10 for 2, which for 100% chocolate is quite reasonable. I also found a 10% off voucher DDS10HC but I'm not sure this can be used in store.
Yes! I bought 2 x 230g bags today in a Cafe Chocolat store and they gave me 10% off with the code. 460g high quality 100% dark chocolate for £9 seems to me a real bargain, even if their portion control is a bit lacking.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
uperficially this looked like a great option - but then I read the back label. The "dark 85%" is 18g carbohydrate per 100g product (4.6g per bar) - the "orange 85% cocoa" is 47g carb per 100g product (17g per bar).

The flavourings are probably the culprit. Often when they say natural flavourings, that can include some sugars......

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
would recommend Cavalier Chocolates instead. It's sweetened with Stevia so it won't spike your blood glucose levels, available at Waitrose or Ocado.com

Check ingredients Along with the stevia alcohols they also include maltitol, which spikes a lot of people

Layjl1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Try chocologic, found it at Morrisons .......... very nice, 5 giant buttons 3g carbs. 1/6th of the block one (i.e. 4 squares) 2.5g carbs.
They have it in both dark and milk chocolate, giant buttons and blocks.

toscamo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 85% cocoa dark chocolate is also about 16g carbs per 100g. The pack contains 5 individually wrapped bars, about 4g carbs in each. Tastes lovely and does melt in the mouth!

Reactions: Mal37

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 85% cocoa dark chocolate is also about 16g carbs per 100g. The pack contains 5 individually wrapped bars, about 4g carbs in each. Tastes lovely and does melt in the mouth!
+1

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try chocologic, found it at Morrisons .......... very nice, 5 giant buttons 3g carbs. 1/6th of the block one (i.e. 4 squares) 2.5g carbs.
They have it in both dark and milk chocolate, giant buttons and blocks.
Contains sweeteners.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also is one of the few chocolate bars that does NOT contain de-fatted (Dutched) cocoa powder. This process reduces the polyphenol content, which is what supposedly makes dark chocolate beneficial to the immune system. Montezuma and Hotel Chocolat chocolate drops are two non-Dutched 100% products which share this virtue.

Reactions: karen8967 and dbr10

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good job noticing this! I always check nutrition info but would not expect something like this.

As another suggestion, I used to enjoy sprinkling a small amount of chocolate flakes on a bowl of fruit (not Flake the bars, just little slivers of chocolate probably intended for making hot chocolate).

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It contains steviol glycosides, a sugar alcohol, which doesn't cause spikes with me, so I'll continue to have a small amount of it.

Liks any of these things, you need to test to see if they affect you.
True. Easy to forget.

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It contains steviol glycosides, a sugar alcohol, which doesn't cause spikes with me, so I'll continue to have a small amount of it.

Liks any of these things, you need to test to see if they affect you.
How do you test for a square of chocolate?

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My actual favourite is Co-op fair trade 85%. It is luxuriously dark and has a delicious, sort of fruity flavour. But I usually have the Lindt because that is slightly lower in carbs and easier to get hold of. But good to know of some others to try. The Lindt 85% is also free of Lecithin, which is a GM soy derivative I believe, haven’t checked the Co-op’s.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Most chocolate brands give the carb count per serving on the label A serving depends on the brand and type of chocolate, and can be as small as one square or sometimes four, if it's a big bar. Chocologic, for instance has 2.5g per 4 squares of dark chocolate, for instance. You could also weigh it and work it out via the amount of grams per 100g.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Not sure what you were meaning by how do you test...now thinking how do you test to see if it affects blood glucose?

Well, same way as other things, just before you have it, for a baseline number, then at 1 hour, then 2. Shouldn't spike by more than 20 points or 2 mmols at that point.