Fasting blood test

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, really dumb question but I simply can’t remember. When fasting prior to a blood test is it okay to drink black tea or coffee? Or is water the only permissible liquid?

I’d hate to deprive myself of a nice cup of tea if I don’t have to!

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Caffeine - and the chemical in Tea which your body converts to caffeine can affect blood glucose levels.

Reactions: norbitonite

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take a thermos (is this an English word? I mean one of those things that keep your coffee warm) of coffee with me when having to have a fasting test and drink it as soon as the needle is out.

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take a thermos (is this an English word? I mean one of those things that keep your coffee warm) of coffee with me when having to have a fasting test and drink it as soon as the needle is out.
As John has said, Thermos is an English word, and that is a very good idea!

Reactions: Antje77

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FYI:
Dewar refused to patent his invention.[1]

Dewar's design was quickly transformed into a commercial item in 1904 as two German glassblowers, Reinhold Burger and Albert Aschenbrenner, discovered that it could be used to keep cold drinks cold and warm drinks warm.[2][3] The Dewar flask design had never been patented but the German men who discovered the commercial use for the product renamed it "Thermos," and subsequently claimed both the rights to the commercial product and the trademark to the name. In his subsequent attempt to claim the rights to the invention, Dewar instead lost a court case to the company.[4] The manufacturing and performance of the Thermos bottle was significantly improved and refined by the Viennese inventor and merchant Gustav Robert Paalen, who designed various types for domestic use, which he also patented, and distributed widely, through his Thermos Bottle Companies in the United States and Canada. The name later became a genericized trademark after the term "thermos" became the household name for such a liquid container.[2] The vacuum flask went on to be used for many different types of scientific experiments and the commercial “Thermos” was transformed into a common item. "Thermos" remains a registered trademark in some countries, but it was declared a genericized trademark by court action in the United States in 1963, since it had become colloquially synonymous with vacuum flasks in general. However, there are other vacuum flasks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
FYI:
Dewar refused to patent his invention.[1]

Dewar's design was quickly transformed into a commercial item in 1904 as two German glassblowers, Reinhold Burger and Albert Aschenbrenner, discovered that it could be used to keep cold drinks cold and warm drinks warm.[2][3] The Dewar flask design had never been patented but the German men who discovered the commercial use for the product renamed it "Thermos," and subsequently claimed both the rights to the commercial product and the trademark to the name. In his subsequent attempt to claim the rights to the invention, Dewar instead lost a court case to the company.[4] The manufacturing and performance of the Thermos bottle was significantly improved and refined by the Viennese inventor and merchant Gustav Robert Paalen, who designed various types for domestic use, which he also patented, and distributed widely, through his Thermos Bottle Companies in the United States and Canada. The name later became a genericized trademark after the term "thermos" became the household name for such a liquid container.[2] The vacuum flask went on to be used for many different types of scientific experiments and the commercial “Thermos” was transformed into a common item. "Thermos" remains a registered trademark in some countries, but it was declared a genericized trademark by court action in the United States in 1963, since it had become colloquially synonymous with vacuum flasks in general. However, there are other vacuum flasks.
Ah, thanks @hankjam ! From now on I'll use a Dewar's and be a very interesting person :p

Reactions: hankjam