Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Re: Viv's Diet

It's difficult to give a plan for this diet, because it's so flexible, but here goes!

My daily eating is as follows:

BREAKFAST - 2 eggs. Usually an omelette 'cos quick and easy, but sometimes scrambled, sometimes with bacon. I tend not to eat fried or poached 'cos no bread to put them on! Or you could have bacon and sausage instead. Or if no time, keep cold meat, cheese & hard-boiled eggs in the fridge and eat those as you go. In summer I might have a salad for breakfast, as below. Omelette filling, if required, could be cheese or mushrooms or even avocado. You could serve with tomatoes.

LUNCH - Salad, with chicken or other cold meat, or tuna, salmon or smoked mackerel. Today's salad included mixed lettuce, baby tomatoes, celery, cucumber, radishes, a slice each of red and orange pepper. Sometimes it may be corned beef with cheese, or mixed salami with smoked pork sausage, but I try not to eat that sort of preserved food more than twice a week. Served with Hellman's mayonnaise (full fat). If out at lunch time, I take the same salad in a box.

Sometimes I'll have hard-boiled egg with asparagus and smoked salmon. That day I wouldn't eat eggs for breakfast.

I might also eat, after the salad or even instead of, stewed rhubarb or blueberries with yoghurt and/or cream. You could eat those for breakfast as well as or instead of the options given above, but only eat them once a day.

SUPPER - roast or casseroled meat, or sausages or even burgers (check the carb content), or fish, served with broccoli, cauliflower, a (very) few baby carrots, cabbage, green beans - any combination from the 'allowed' list.

When fruit is in season I will add a portion a day of berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, plums, or peaches nectarines and apricots 'cos I can't resist them in season - but only one portion of fruit a day, while on the very-low-carb version. Serve with fresh cream or live unsweetened yoghurt.

Also in summer I make a large ratatouille with garlic, courgettes, leeks, peppers, aubergines, tomatoes (tinned) and mushrooms, and eat it for several suppers with (eg) chops, salmon or cheese.

SNACKS - cheese, cold meat, hard-boiled eggs. The little Peperami are useful, as are Baby Bel cheeses. Radishes or baby tomatoes. You can have a few nuts, but they do add carbs, and they have the problem of being so 'more-ish'! Eat only a small serving - a tablespoonful or less. I have no self-control and find it best not to have them in the house.

I drink one or two cups of coffee a day - I can't face the day without coffee! and no tea 'cos I don't drink it. I drink 2 litres of water a day - or try to, anyway. I get through less than 2 pints of milk a week. I sweeten with Splenda, tablet or granule.

Don't worry about all the eggs - they've finally discovered that they are good for you and good for your cholesterol, too! Don't worry about all the meat and cheese and the fat content - natural (ie unprocessed) fat is not the devil it's made out to be, unless for some reason you can't tolerate it. But it won't affect your cholesterol. Mine has already dropped 0.9 in 3 months, and I expect it to keep going down. My blood pressure has dropped nicely too, and I expect to be off meds in another couple of months. My BGs are never out of the NICE Type 2 target range.

No cottage cheese - it has carbohydrate.

You should eat until you're full, not gorge yourself, but you don't have to worry about counting anything except keeping an eye on your carbs, if you add in the fruits and nuts as above.

I try not to go over about 50g of carb a day - that's 25g from the basic diet sheet, and an extra 25g if I fancy (for instance) an oatcake for the 'crunch' mouth feel. But you get best results if you stick to the basic diet.

I hope that helps. Ask again if it's not what you wanted, and I'll try to make it simpler.

Good luck!

Viv :)

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

viviennem said:
SNACKS - cheese, cold meat, hard-boiled eggs. The little Peperami are useful, as are Baby Bel cheeses. Radishes or baby tomatoes. You can have a few nuts, but they do add carbs, and they have the problem of being so 'more-ish'! Eat only a small serving - a tablespoonful or less. I have no self-control and find it best not to have them in the house.

I had understood nuts had almost no carbs. I eat a low carb nut based muesli for breakfast with a 2% fat greek joghurt (half a pot) every day. I thought the only problem with nuts were the calories. Does anyone know which is correct?

dib

Peanuts and cashews are not good. All other common nuts are either very low or have no carbs. I mix almonds, brazils, macadamias and sometimes walnuts to ward off those pangs between meals, these don't seem to affect my levels.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Thanks dib :) you have reassured me that my breakfast is OK. I knew that cashews weren't OK and that they aren't nuts at all anyway (thanks Patch)

wobblyme

Dislikes
Offal (hate it) rudeness, inpolite people

Had to be cashews and peanuts as a no no..they are the ones I like best!! lol, story of my life...

wobblyme :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I've just checked in the Collins Gem Carb Counter, and it seems 'less than 2g carb per 25g nut kernels' is a good rule of thumb. The trouble is, 25g (1oz) is not much nut! Or not enough for me, anyway. Greed is great! :lol: But a healthy way of upping your carbs from the base line of 20/25g.

Viv

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I have 40g worth of nut muesli for my breakfast. The portion looks tiny although looks more when mixed with half a yoghurt but I feel satisfied all morning after that. I don't get the feeling that I haven't eaten very much. :) I calculated the total carbs for this breakfast as approx 4.5g. Most of the carbs come from the joghurt.

Edit: it's a natural joghurt by the way not a fruit one.

sue32

Dislikes
false people

I notice you say no carrots or peas. In the Glycaemic Load regime they are OK as the GL diet calculates the GI of the amount of food you will eat. I eat both carrots and peas and my BM's are great. But I cannot eat lentils, they raise my sugars by a significant amount. BUT I didn't realise that cashews were high in carbs. I've certainly learned something today. I'll grind them up for the birds!!! :| :D :D :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Lucky birds in your garden. I'm sure they will really appreciate it at this time of the year. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Thanks for posting that, Catherine. Looks like my breakfast is higher carb than I was told. I will start recalculating now... :(

C

catherinecherub

Hi Daisy,
If you are trying to lose weight it is not a good idea to eat too many nuts. The method that I follow only allows 6 almonds or 4 walnut halves or 4 macadamias.
It's a bit like the red wine that a lot of people here drink. A pub measure is 115 calories and I am sure most measures at home are higher. Two glasses a day for a week is 1510 calories and over a month that would be 6,040. It may well slow the weight loss down.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Thanks Catherine. :) I have been so obsessed with the carbs that I had forgotten all about the calories. I wondered why my weight had stopped going down. As I am still trying to lose some weight I will find something else to have for breakfast. Maybe go back to just having joghurt without the nuts.

C

catherinecherub

I am sure you will work out something suitable Daisy.
3,500 calories in lb of fat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

catherinecherub said:
I am sure you will work out something suitable Daisy.
3,500 calories in lb of fat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In that case I'll be more careful with the red wine too. :shock:

Springdot

Thank you for simplifying this diet into an easy to follow format, Viv. I'm starting today and I think it will work as I tend to overeat carbohydrate. Watch this space!

pms543

Most helpful Viv and easy to follow and understand...I am now making a plan too.... :D

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness

Hi Viv, I am on Atkins Induction and doing quite well but I have a problem; I seem to be eating too much protein compared to fats. Have you any suggestions please?, many thanks, Deb xx

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Hi Deb!

You can easily add fat by using butter on your veg, mayonnaise for salads, or oil-based dressings(read the labels - Hellman's full fat mayo doesn't have too many nasties in it), put cream in your coffee if you use white coffee, and eat the occasional avocado. And cheese, of course, for snacking. It doesn't have to be animal or dairy fat, vegetable oils will do it, but I tend to stick to good olive oil. I eat 2 eggs a day as well, which contain fat.

I tend not to worry about getting fat in there - if you're eating meat, cheese, eggs and oily fish, you'll be getting plenty without having to add it.

Does that answer it? Don't forget that (eg) meat isn't pure protein, so you maybe getting less than you think.

Viv :)

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness

Many thanks Viv, I feel that I am doing ok in Induction it was just that I read somewhere that it should be more fat than protein and I was getting hung up on it, thanks again, Deb xx