Life with diabetes

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @8bitkitty . DAFNE course on the horizon, lucky you.
It's a great course that offers so much. I did the course a few years back.
I thought I knew just about all there was to know but the course really taught me a lot more.
Also a great opportunity to talk and share diabetes stuff with a room full of fellow T1's.
Hope you enjoy the course. It's fun and informative.

Reactions: 8bitkitty

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the best I ever heard I was speaking to a lady one day and the conversation came up about diabetes and I said I'm diabetic .This was her reply oh it must be your hair colour there are two people living beside me same hair colour both are diabetics well I couldn't even be bothered to reply just thought you f...... idot. Must admit thought of something a lot worse to say.

I’d just start clapping slowly with the claps increasing in volume while proceeding to stare them in the eyes without breaking contact lol

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha why do they have to make things more complicated for diabetics than they already are?
Yeah I’m having about 3 hypos a day at the moment, they have put me on such a high dose and it’s also making me put on so much weight!

What do you mean they put you on a high dose?

8bitkitty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean they put you on a high dose?

I’m on novorapid, 12 to 14 units with every meal, sometimes more depending on the meal!
Levermir 32 units in the morning, 28 units before bed.
In a couple of weeks I’ll learn how to carb count and won’t need to inject such high levels, I can’t wait to find out my ratio too!

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on novorapid, 12 to 14 units with every meal, sometimes more depending on the meal!
Levermir 32 units in the morning, 28 units before bed.
In a couple of weeks I’ll learn how to carb count and won’t need to inject such high levels, I can’t wait to find out my ratio too!

How long have you been diabetic?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’d like a day off from having to make complicated dosing calculations with a potentially fatal drug and not having to make life or death clinical decisions Every. Single. Day.

Just one day off. Please?

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d like a day off from having to make complicated dosing calculations with a potentially fatal drug and not having to make life or death clinical decisions Every. Single. Day.

Just one day off. Please?

If I could have a phrase to define my existence, this would be it.

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They just never taught me how, they always put me on set doses ever since diagnosis.
Finally doing the course and I can’t wait!

Well either way, that’s awesome! I’m happy for you and I welcome you to diabetic Mathematics hahahaha

Reactions: 8bitkitty

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Jeesh, you guys are all sounding so down about things.

So, just to step it up a bit, here's a quote from a book by Elliot P Joslin in 1935 (google him - he played a big part in encouraging T1s to take control and self-treat - giving control decisions also means taking responsibility):

"I must say that I do admire the backbone and the brains of the average diabetic and I truly believe on the whole they are superior to the common run of people and therefore their good qualities merit cultivation. Second, I think they are less apt to drink, far less likely to have syphilis or gonorrhea, and distinctly less likely to have, what is anathema to me, 'nervous prostration and nerves.'"

So, there you go, people, EPJ said that in 1935, and it's still true today!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I figured out the ratio thing before they really wanted me to, during the "stick it in if you want to live" meeting. It's not exactly rocket science. It doesn't really WORK, of course, but the IDEA is easy enough.

I am not sure if i actually do want to live, though. I am a walking talking artificial pancreas system and I'm not even a very good ones. Joslin is an idiot. The idea that diabetes makes people special is believed by a lot of people on this forum, that much is obvious. Maybe it makes you special Scott. It makes me into a useless loser who lives from test to test and can basically never concentrate on anything properly. It makes me into a total waste of space. I hate being me because of it. If it makes you feel special you must have had a very boring pointless empty life before. I can remember last year, back when I was actually a person, what it was like, some people have clearly forgotten what normal is.

Go on someone, mark this funny or winner or whatever. Ignore the reality, just say something that seems positive, isn't that how we're all supposed to behave.

8bitkitty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not sure if i actually do want to live, though. I am a walking talking artificial pancreas system and I'm not even a very good ones. Joslin is an idiot. The idea that diabetes makes people special is believed by a lot of people on this forum, that much is obvious. Maybe it makes you special Scott. It makes me into a useless loser who lives from test to test and can basically never concentrate on anything properly. It makes me into a total waste of space. I hate being me because of it. If it makes you feel special you must have had a very boring pointless empty life before. I can remember last year, back when I was actually a person, what it was like, some people have clearly forgotten what normal is.

Go on someone, mark this funny or winner or whatever. Ignore the reality, just say something that seems positive, isn't that how we're all supposed to behave.

I understand you, ever since I developed diabetes I’ve not been the same person.
I’m riddled with anxiety every day, and find it extremely hard to concentrate on anything! I’m tired all of the time, no matter how much I sleep (if I do sleep as I struggle at night!) and I always feel fatigue!
Not to mention my memory is shocking for a 21 year old.
It’s also the fact that we all know we aren’t going to live as long as everybody else... and all of us will definitely develop some sort of complication, even if we do keep it well controlled!
I just wish non-diabetics understood at least.

Last edited:

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand you, ever since I developed diabetes I’ve not been the same person.
I’m riddled with anxiety every day, and find it extremely hard to concentrate on anything! I’m tired all of the time, no matter how much I sleep (if I do sleep as I struggle at night!) and I always feel fatigue!
Not to mention my memory is shocking for a 21 year old.
It’s also the fact that we all know we aren’t going to live as long as everybody else... and all of us will definitely develop some sort of complication, even if we do keep it well controlled!
I just wish non-diabetics understood at least.

All I’ve ever known is Diabetes so I can’t really relate unfortunately:/

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I figured out the ratio thing before they really wanted me to, during the "stick it in if you want to live" meeting. It's not exactly rocket science.
errrr... I hate to tell you this but you really haven't... if you did have this figured out and were able to apply it you'd make things so much easier for yourself.

But the rest and what others have said I agree, it's very tough no doubt... the concentration issues, the lack of understanding from others, etc, etc, etc is particularly frustrating.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All I’ve ever known is Diabetes so I can’t really relate unfortunately:/
Be happy. I would much rather have got it when I was 2. If I could take a pill to forget what life was like before, I'd do it in a second.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
errrr... I hate to tell you this but you really haven't... if you did have this figured out and were able to apply it you'd make things so much easier for yourself.

But the rest and what others have said I agree, it's very tough no doubt... the concentration issues, the lack of understanding from others, etc, etc, etc is particularly frustrating.

I figured out the principle. It doesn't actually work very well because everything is so random. But the principle is simple enough. I have no idea why people need to go on a course in order to learn how to divide things by fifteen.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be happy. I would much rather have got it when I was 2. If I could take a pill to forget what life was like before, I'd do it in a second.

But if you'd have got sugar aged 2 you'd maybe not got to where you are now, maybe, maybe not and as time passes by you'll soon forget how life was pre sugar.

I got it aged 17 and 33 years later don't remember much about anything life before sugar....;p

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
as time passes by you'll soon forget how life was pre sugar.

That is also my worst possible fear. There is a difference between forgetting something and never having known it. If I ever got to a point where I had forgotten what real life is supposed to be like I would just be done at that point.

Last edited: