Joined a while ago but not really been on..

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
None really except people who think they are somebody or better than you when they arent
Hi guys. Age 62, disabled with severe arthritic condition. type 2 for a few years now on Metformin and Victoza injection. Apparently it wasn't doing its job so took Victoza away and gave me an extra tablet. That did nothing either to lower so last week went on Insulin. Don't know much about it, my practice nurse talks down to you instead of explaining so only know what I read on here. Started in 10ml before bed, raised to 12 last saturday, to 14 on Tuesday and 16 last night. Ideally wants me to get up with a reading of 7. Sadly still at between 8.6 and 9.2. Going to bed on average of 10.2 to 12.5. feeling so rough tonight and 13.2. not helped by having bad cough and cold. I have eaten the same exactly each day this week but varies so much, why?? On six other medications including Warfarin so have to watch what eat and drink there also. I really need to get on top of this as now stressing me out so any help going to be greatly appreciated as my surgery just give you prescription and on your way. I am greatly overweight not helped by limited mobility due to severe arthritis in both knees

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Your daily diet? Arthritis demands close attention as weight gain and accompanying stress is simply building and exacerbating the problem ... what was your Hba1C?

Reactions: Fit725

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sadly, I cannot offer advice on insulin use as I have no experience of it.
There are, however, many members who are very knowledgeable on insulin use and someone will be along soon to offer help.

Reactions: Garway

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
having bad cough and cold. I have eaten the same exactly each day this week but varies so much, why??
Having a cold won't help. I would give it some time to find the right dose and don't expect too much as long as you're having this cold. Hope you'll feel better soon!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys. Age 62, disabled with severe arthritic condition. type 2 for a few years now on Metformin and Victoza injection. Apparently it wasn't doing its job so took Victoza away and gave me an extra tablet. That did nothing either to lower so last week went on Insulin. Don't know much about it, my practice nurse talks down to you instead of explaining so only know what I read on here. Started in 10ml before bed, raised to 12 last saturday, to 14 on Tuesday and 16 last night. Ideally wants me to get up with a reading of 7. Sadly still at between 8.6 and 9.2. Going to bed on average of 10.2 to 12.5. feeling so rough tonight and 13.2. not helped by having bad cough and cold. I have eaten the same exactly each day this week but varies so much, why?? On six other medications including Warfarin so have to watch what eat and drink there also. I really need to get on top of this as now stressing me out so any help going to be greatly appreciated as my surgery just give you prescription and on your way. I am greatly overweight not helped by limited mobility due to severe arthritis in both knees

Have you tried a low carb high fat diet?

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
None really except people who think they are somebody or better than you when they arent
Hi Mike. Not sure on the Hba1C. My doc or nurse never explain anythibg except tell me what they want it to be is 7 on waking and around 9 on going to bed. No leaflets in the surgery on the ibsulin. Told me what to look for hypi etc. That's why thought would seek the forum out. Breakfast.... Porridge or two slices brown bread toasted. Piece of fruit mid morning. Often skip lunch but since insulin having small salad. Evening meal chicken and vegetables. Fruit low fat yoghurt. Cups of black tea as dont like milk and at least couple litres water per dayj. Maybe fruit mid afternoon¡ I have got more stressed since insulin though with no help or understanding and know nobody on it.

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Having a cold won't help. I would give it some time to find the right dose and don't expect too much as long as you're having this cold. Hope you'll feel better soon!
Thankyou. I have just become paranoid over it

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
No, but think maybe best plan. Going to make a 7 day food plan tomorrow. Thanks

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
No, but seems to be best way forward. Goingbto make plan for next season days

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope this helps and welcome!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

These are low carb options mate to lower blood glucose levels and to avoid diabetic complications...

Bread

LivLife (available from Waitrose / Ocado.com)

Keto bread (lots of recipes on YouTube).

Celeriac

Cut in medium slices, boil for 5 minutes then roast or fry like chips and tastes so much better than potatoes!

Pasta

Lots of Keto pasta recipes on YouTube.

Chocolates

Cavalier (sweetened with Stevia)

Lindt 90% dark chocolates

Montezuma 100% dark chocolates
(available from Waitrose / Ocado.com)

Avoid high glycemic, starchy foods ie potatoes, white rice, pasta, noodles, flour, sweetcorn, pumpkin, and root vegetables except carrots.

Eat low glycemic above ground vegetables ie cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, aubergine, courgettes, red peppers, mushrooms etc.

Eat healthy fats ie avocados, salmon, walnuts, eggs, cheese, full fat creams, olives, edamame beans, full fat yogurt.

Avoid sauces with hidden sugars and carbs, always read the labels at the back of packaging.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Are you overweight ? If so, lose it. It really makes a massive difference. This is just as important as diet control for T2 affected people.
Glenn

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, but seems to be best way forward. Goingbto make plan for next season days
what sort of insulin are you on? is it fixed doses at fixed times? your profile may need updating as it isnt showing insulin. With insulin you need to watch how low you go with carbs and have the advice of your surgery to avoid hypos.

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sadly, I cannot offer advice on insulin use as I have no experience of it.
There are, however, many members who are very knowledgeable on insulin use and someone will be along soon to offer help.
Thankyou for the replies. I was just feeling a little out of sorts not knowing things, what immediate changes to expecting insulin. Hubby really no use as doesn't understand anything like this at all. He doesn't mean to be ignorant but not helping by taking no interest. It may just be this cold making me worse as not normally one to become emotional and stressed lol.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbohydrate is what it is all about - sugar and starch increases your blood glucose levels and you do seem to be eating bread and fruit, and for some people porridge is too much - you should be able to test if you can cope with it - but with the additional factor of insulin you need to be careful as you have to counteract overdoses with carbohydrate.
If you have been overdoing the carbs, exceeding what you can cope with naturally then the insulin is to try to correct that, but reducing carbs is a powerful tool in the control of BG and so you could start to see much lower numbers if you reduce carbs.

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
what sort of insulin are you on? is it fixed doses at fixed times? your profile may need updating as it isnt showing insulin. With insulin you need to watch how low you go with carbs and have the advice of your surgery to avoid hypos.
I only went on it last week so roughly ten days and this is first time on for some time. Will amend it all tomrrow now back on.it is a pen and I have to take it at night before bed. Started at 10 and told until it went to seven in the morning to keep upping by 2ml every 2/3days.... Just reached 16 tonight..pen says Lantus Solostar insulin glargine.

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hope this helps and welcome!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

These are low carb options mate to lower blood glucose levels and to avoid diabetic complications...

Bread

LivLife (available from Waitrose / Ocado.com)

Keto bread (lots of recipes on YouTube).

Celeriac

Cut in medium slices, boil for 5 minutes then roast or fry like chips and tastes so much better than potatoes!

Pasta

Lots of Keto pasta recipes on YouTube.

Chocolates

Cavalier (sweetened with Stevia)

Lindt 90% dark chocolates

Montezuma 100% dark chocolates
(available from Waitrose / Ocado.com)

Avoid high glycemic, starchy foods ie potatoes, white rice, pasta, noodles, flour, sweetcorn, pumpkin, and root vegetables except carrots.

Eat low glycemic above ground vegetables ie cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, aubergine, courgettes, red peppers, mushrooms etc.

Eat healthy fats ie avocados, salmon, walnuts, eggs, cheese, full fat creams, olives, edamame beans, full fat yogurt.

Avoid sauces with hidden sugars and carbs, always read the labels at the back of packaging.

Thankyou for that information. I will go through tomorrow what I need to buy in my weekly shop. You have been a good help this evening. I couldn't believe the nurse had no leaflets on food, diet etc.i have found a nearby group so am going to hopefully go on Tuesday.

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Carbohydrate is what it is all about - sugar and starch increases your blood glucose levels and you do seem to be eating bread and fruit, and for some people porridge is too much - you should be able to test if you can cope with it - but with the additional factor of insulin you need to be careful as you have to counteract overdoses with carbohydrate.
If you have been overdoing the carbs, exceeding what you can cope with naturally then the insulin is to try to correct that, but reducing carbs is a powerful tool in the control of BG and so you could start to see much lower numbers if you reduce carbs.

Porridge, toast and fruit all suggestions from nurse when I asked for food leaflet but I will definitely take a look tomorrow. Thankyou for your help this evening , everybody has been so kind x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Porridge, toast and fruit all suggestions from nurse when I asked for food leaflet but I will definitely take a look tomorrow. Thankyou for your help this evening , everybody has been so kind x

God help me ... that is ridiculous dietary advice Sharron. ALL very bad for diabetics.... make sure you demand your HbA1C print out and find a more competent nurse.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou for that information. I will go through tomorrow what I need to buy in my weekly shop. You have been a good help this evening. I couldn't believe the nurse had no leaflets on food, diet etc.i have found a nearby group so am going to hopefully go on Tuesday.

The NHS guidelines on diet maimed thousands of people because they are outdated and absolutely appalling!

You will find this forum and our community more informative, supportive and helpful!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only went on it last week so roughly ten days and this is first time on for some time. Will amend it all tomrrow now back on.it is a pen and I have to take it at night before bed. Started at 10 and told until it went to seven in the morning to keep upping by 2ml every 2/3days.... Just reached 16 tonight..pen says Lantus Solostar insulin glargine.
It looks like you will need to talk to your doctor/nurse if you plan to low carb while taking this, so they can adjust your dose to fit your carb intake.