Diabetes, anarchy, and social collapse...

cortez

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss the following topic, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it...

We have all, I am sure, been following the situation with the riots and unrest over the last few weeks. Now, it has occurred to me recently that we are probably closer to a state of social collapse in this country than we have been for a long time. I should add that I don't think we're very close - in fact I think such a thing is exceedingly unlikely... But over the last few years some things have happened which many of us, I am sure, would never have dreamed could occur (the collapse and virtual nationalisation of the banking sector; the Tories winning (well, half winning) an election; Nick Clegg as Deputy PM :shock:; Woolies disappearing from the high street... I mean I could go on...).

So to get to my point - as if you hadn't guessed it already. If this country were to collapse into a state of anarchy, or something like it , what would become of us diabetics? Almost all of us rely, to a greater or lesser extent, on the state for our very existence. If it wasn't for the blessed NHS where would be? Where would we get the things we need - insulin, needles, medication, test strips, etc, etc, etc... Would the anarchists be supplying them to us, I wonder? From what I saw of their antics last Thursday it seems somewhat unlikely...

I remember watching a programme a few years ago about the 'detention' (not the right word) camps set up during the conflict in Bosnia-Herzegovina in the '90s. The one thing that really struck me was a survivor who stated that the 'first people to go' were the diabetics (since they had no access to supplies)...

I apologise for bringing this topic up. But, as I said, even though it's an extraordinarily unlikely outcome enough 'unlikely' things have happened over the last few years that we would be foolish to entirely dismiss it. Perhaps, in fact, it is time the diabetic community started thinking about how we might cope if such a situation did, in fact, arise.

Hope I haven't depressed anyone!

Regards,
Chris

Riverside

Believe it or not this was actually one of my main concerns when I was diagnosed earlier in my teens.. couldn't care less now though.

Honestly it wouldn't be worth living in such a society. People would go into their inner animal survival mode and turn into pure monsters out of desperation, it would be hell.

Remember the UK only produces something like <20% of her populations food, we wouldn't be the only ones in major trouble from lack of supplies.

jameshallam

I had the same thought when I was diagnosed... I always thought I would be pretty good at looking after myself if the state collapsed - then I got diabetes and would be the first to go!!

Not a major worry, since it is so unlikely it will ever happen. Also, I'm sure if it did happen, there would be other thigns to worry about...

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Like the zombie apocolypse.

cortez

Celtic.Piskie said:
Like the zombie apocolypse.
Diabetic zombies, perhaps? :D

Thanks for the replies, guys. Nice to know that I'm not the only one to have considered this (thankfully exceedingly unlikely!) outcome.

But then again, imagine the following scenario: a bunch of terrorists launches an attack on one of the major nuclear installations, blowing it up and contaminating large swathes of the country in the process. As a result many people die or are displaced, and the government imposes an indefinite period of martial law. Now I suspect that is not so unlikely as social collapse brought about through political or economic factors. Still very unlikely, but not vanishingly so...

But surely the important thing for us to consider, as diabetics, is: would there be anything we could do? Would we necessarily have to just sit and wait for death? We are currently at the whim and mercy of the large, faceless corporations that manufacture our insulin, monitors, test strips, etc. Is it conceivable that we could liberate ourselves and find some way of ensuring the continued availability of at least our most basic supplies? Seems like a crazy idea, yes; but I do not think that it would actually be impossible (as Hannibal said: "We will either find a way, or make one"). Maybe some sort of cooperative society... perhaps working alongside the manufacturers and health professionals but with a mandate to take over from them in the event of some breakdown in social order. Oh, I don't know, just thinking aloud really... But what if that were to happen? How liberating would that be?

Chris

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Get me too a biochemistry lab !!

Thankfully, i'm pretty sure i have enough knowledge of biochemistry to keep me alive in some way from pig pancreases.
Plus, it would keep the hubby in bacon and crackling. haha.

Zombies are equal opportunity biters.... there was at least one in a wheelchair from Shaun Of The Dead....
I guess meat is low in carb hahaha.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aha. Never thought of that.
So in the event of a zombie apocalypse my new zombie plan is to get infected as quickly as possibly then I can move to a Carb free diet :p

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The Hounslow diabetes group supports the Tanzanian diabetes patients.

Mainly type 2, very few type 1 - they die within 18 months of diagnosis :(

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
i used to live in an area where anarchy ruled :lol:
but yes i believe it very unlikely but the impossible can sometimes creep up behind you and give you a stern hard kick just to say hey i'm here.
clegg deputy puppet you mean :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Life to short to worry about what might never be, enjoy living for the moment and put such thoughts out of your mind. :)

Nige isl

jameshallam

I actually did think about what I would do!

Raid the local pharmacy and get myself enough supplies to last a while.
Go low-carb (god I hate the thought...) so use less insulin.
Start doing waaay more exercise (again reducing the amount of insulin).

and hope "the system" gets back on it's feet soon.

I do enjoy tv shows/films about this kind of thing (although they are usually rubbish)
Anyone see the one on the BBC last year - Survivors I think it was called...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I remember the original 'Survivors' - a really good series!

We'd all have to go low-carb after the apocalypse, 'cos agriculture would collapse. Probaby end in cannibalism (tastes like pork, they say).

There's a very good SF book called 'Lucifer's Hammer', can't remember who it's by, when an enormous meteorite hits the Earth. The chief science geek character in that was a type 1 diabetic, and was saving all sorts of science books including how to manufacture insulin.

I don't know how he was going to monitor his levels, though . . . Solar-powered meter, perhaps? Is there one? Which only leaves us the test strips . . .

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
take a crowbar to boots, then pray then die.......oh well

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure to keep enough insulin left to end it quickly, I guess.

janeislay

I believe anarchy and social collapse WILL happen, and sooner than you fear.

When the world population is exploding and the planet is struggling with food shortages and climate change, pollution and pesticides can only get worse.

I'll be better off than most, with my sheep, pigs, ponies, poultry, wild deer and fishing boat - and the fact that I'm on an island where I hope to heck some bright spark will stop ferries running to and from :lol:

Certainly wouldn't like to be dependent on insulin, but without the ability to get flour or potatoes, the need for it would be very much less. And we'd have to do a great deal more work (exercise) too !

Jane

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Please wait until I get there, Jane, before you stop the ferries! I'm good with livestock - I can even hand-milk - and I'm a gardener, so I should be able to pay my way! :lol:

Viv

jaykay

I decided in my teens what I would do. Head for Scotland! ( land of my youth! )Since then I have trained as a healer, soothsayer and hedge witch. Plus I can cook. Hopefully, I'd be allowed on Jane's Island too :D

janeislay

:lol: how lovely I can choose who joins us and who doesn't ! You both sound useful folk - especially Viv who can get to grips with my sustainable forest garden (just ploughed by the pigs). 8)

I'm a bit of a hedge witch too, but my legs are not good and I fear falling in said hedges; so you can come too, jaykay :D

Let loose with eight whisky distilleries, there may be a lot of folk in need of healing :lol: