Clinical trials. Gastric surgery.

C

catherinecherub

Clinical trials using bariatric surgery for Type 2's regardless of the present BMI criteria are going ahead in America.http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-tri ... betes.html You are eligible for this trial if your BMI is 26.

I personally think that if these trials are successful then they will use this option more as it is a cheaper way of reducing the amount of money that is spent over the lifetime of a Type 2. Probably a long way off though.

What do others think?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's a great idea.

I can see it being abused, though. With a wider catchment, more people are going to try to abuse the surgery, by continuing to overeat. This will skew the results of the research.

But in principle - controlling BG by using gastric surgery is the way forward. It will certainly reduce the number of obese/super-obese people needing treatment that cost a small fortune to treat in hospitals... (Hope that didn't come across as a dig at the obese?)

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Doctor's everywhere should promote the fact that overweight/obesety is a big cause for type 2 diabetes and not offer invasive measures to try and "cure" obesity, especially in young people so that they can do something about their weight in a healthy, natural way BEFORE the onset of diabetes. I find people are not made aware of diabetes enough and it is a **** shame! Why worry about the cost of treatments when they never warn people??? I never knew that being overweight I was running the risk of becoming diabetic... PREVENTION IS BETTER THEN A CURE!

Having said that, I do know that a lot of type 2's are age onset and not nesessarily overweight and to say all overweight have diabetes is not correct either, but I stand by my opinion that doctor's need to make people more aware of type 2 diabetes and the link with overweight/obese people!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is so much wrong with that post. I just don't know where to start...

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
A lot of people have the attitude of "oh it wont happen to me" I'll continue to stuff my face yum yum

Toms Grandma

Hello, I am a recovering over eater.........unlike alcohol and cigarettes, I cannot just give up food. I went on the lighter life diet some 13 years ago and lost 4 1/2 stone in 4 months. It was brilliant, I did not have to think about food. However, there comes a point, when one has to start eating again. I eat for comfort, I eat when I am happy, I eat when I am sad. I have had hypnosis, acupuncture, counselling. I eat. No amount of being told "YOU WILL BE DIABETIC IF YOU DO NOT STOP OVER EATING" will stop me eating. Like any addiction it has to come from within me. I am lucky, as I say I am a recovering over eater.

Tom's Grandma
Recovering foodaholic

Eiche

Dislikes
Over eating is an adiction, but like all adictions it takes WILLPOWER not to do it! If you really WANT to stop you WILL STOP! I smoked from the age of 13 and I enjoyed smoking every minute of every cigarette and I "tried" to quit smoking twice and failed. Why did I fail? Because I didn't really WANT to quit! One day I ran out of cigarettes and I said "right, no more for me!", that was 3 years ago and I haven't looked back since.... I do still crave smoking, but I just don't do it! Many times I walked to the shop to buy a pack of cigarettes and came home with a bottle of water and chewing gums.... Now please don't tell me that over eating is not the same, because in my opinion it is. I am myself overweight and used to over eat for comfort. I have lost over 3 stone in weight now because I WANT to be healthy! If you have an adiction, don't "TRY" to quit, JUST DO IT! if you say "I will "TRY"", it usually doesn't happen because you don't really want to...
(using YOU as a generalisation no one personally)

anniep

There are some people who consider that being overweight is not a cause of diabetes but that being overweight and T2 have a common cause.

The link between gentics and T2 and being overweight is not yet fully understood. If it were a simple link all fat people would be diabetic and no thin people would be.

Eiche

Dislikes
Patch said:
There is so much wrong with that post. I just don't know where to start...

If you have a different opinion then that is fine, but do me the curtesy and let me have the right to MY opinion ....
catherinecherub said:
What do others think?

... especially when other opinions are asked for :)