More Cholesterol nonsense

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not strictly about Diabetes so forgive me......

My wife, who is 55 5ft 2 tall and barely 6st 10 (94 lbs) and with a blood pressure reading that is so low it’s barely measurable, had a Blood Test recently and was asked to make an appointment “as a matter of urgency”

Anyway her total Cholesterol came back as 6.8 so of course going on Statins is the only way to head off impending doom.

Her refusal was met with disbelief and a threat that she would have to go through all this “stress” every year until she did as she was told !!!

Her breakdown is interesting and probably quite unusual, and certainly not understood or even looked at by the Doctor.

Total Cholesterol 6.8
Serum non HDL Cholesterol 3.1
Serum triglycerides 1.0
Serum LDL Cholesterol 2.65
Serum HDL Cholesterol 3.70
Serum Cholesterol/HDL 1.8

Doctors are idiots !!!

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am sorry I don't get it. Her cholesterol is too high - yes? I am in similar position and surgery demanding I have stantins but I do not want them. Are you saying I don't need and your wife does not need them? This is all so confusing for newbies =apols if I sound a bit thick here.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry I don't get it. Her cholesterol is too high - yes? I am in similar position and surgery demanding I have stantins but I do not want them. Are you saying I don't need and your wife does not need them? This is all so confusing for newbies =apols if I sound a bit thick here.

Have a look at the breakdown of @britishpub 's wife. It is only the HDL that is making her Total appear high, but as HDL is the good cholesterol we need it to be high - her's is stupendously high at 3.7. Her Trigs and LDL are fine.

The total cholesterol is meaningless on its own. It is the levels of the bits and bobs that make up the total that matter, and the ratios between them. This is because not all cholesterol is "bad". The ratio between trigs and HDL is very important and should be under 0.87. Hers is 0.27. Also the ratio between the total and the HDL, which should be under 5. Hers is 1.8. All her doctor looked at was the supposedly high total, and that is the wrong thing to do because the vast majority of it is good cholesterol..

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JenniB There are studies that show that potentially having too much HDL (good stuff) isn't necessarily good for you, but overall I would prefer it that way round.

As @Bluetit1802 says, the concentration on just the "headline" number is not useful.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick update. I spoke to the DN today while i was at the surgery for something else and she has agreed to me having a full cholesterol breakdown test with my next HbA1c in June : )

Reactions: Speedbird and dbr10