Fasting level 7.5

Clairslloyd

I have recently had the above result and am awaiting results from another test taken yesterday. My doc says I am diabetic but how can she tell from one result. I eat healthily and don't use sugar. I don't class myself as overweight 12 stone,5.8 height and 37 years old. Can anyone put my mind at ease as I am quite scared/upset. Many thanks

Dippy3103

I was diagnosed following two tests, both around the 7.5 level. The good news for you is that at thoses levels you have probably been diagnosed early and can make a real difference!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Claire (apologies if that isn't your name) and welcome to the forum. :) We all felt like that when we were diagnosed (I certainly did) but after a while you get used to it. One thing which will help you is to read the following link which will help you manage your diabetes. As you get your levels under control and can do something positive you will feel better about it. It's not just sugar you have to cut out, you need to reduce carbs as well. This is what we believe is the best way to control your levels:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

Have a good look around and ask any questions you like - we are all here to help :)

hallii

You will slowly come to terms with the fact that you have diabetes, it's not a big deal, you just need to eat properly and do some excercise. Buy a meter and strips ( or get them free from the Doc.) and start doing a few tests. Fasting in morning, 1 hour and 2 hours after eating and keep a record of what you ate and what the test figures were.

You will soon work out what you can or cannot eat.

I only test about twice a week now, I know what I can eat so don't need to test.

Fasting reading of around 6 mmol or below I think is good, 7 mmol and above is not so good but it is a lot lower than some on here so all in all 7.5 is not a disaster. Aim for about 7 - 8 mmol 2 hours after eating ( or lower if you can). These figures are my personal goals, you may need to set yourself higher or indeed lower goals in consulatation with your Doc.

You will need to take control of your day to day management of your diabetes (probably type 2) and let your doctor know you want to do this. In short, "keep your eye on the ball", it seems like your Doc is good and has diagnosed you early. That's good, you can look forward to achieving good control and living a normal life.

Ask your Doc. about any other medications that may be benificial, there are someto protect you from other possible complications.

Keep researching on here and elsewhere, soon you will be an expert :)

H