1st Diabetes review(type 2) confused and a bit gutted

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, had my first review with DN today since being diagnosed before Xmas 2017. Was really pleased my HbA1c had gone down from 52 to 40 and thought I’d get a well done after following low carb advice I got on the forum. I’m on metformin 2 x 500g a day and even though I told her I’d gone low carb she attributed the fall purely to the metformin and decided to keep me on it. Then she took my blood pressure and it had gone up, especially the lower number, it was 92., so have to go back for check at end of month. Thought I had done well and now really disappointed. Sorry it’s a bit war and peace but has anyone else had this experience?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rubbish nurses.. yes.. ignore her.. no way could metformin have had such a good effect on HbA1c..she's just towing the party line.. my nurse said the same until I told her I had stopped taking the pesky things after 3 weeks... that wiped the smile off her face.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, had my first review with DN today since being diagnosed before Xmas 2017. Was really pleased my HbA1c had gone down from 52 to 40 and thought I’d get a well done after following low carb advice I got on the forum. I’m on metformin 2 x 500g a day and even though I told her I’d gone low carb she attributed the fall purely to the metformin and decided to keep me on it. Then she took my blood pressure and it had gone up, especially the lower number, it was 92., so have to go back for check at end of month. Thought I had done well and now really disappointed. Sorry it’s a bit war and peace but has anyone else had this experience?

Yes. Probably most of us from what I read here. The DN did not listen to you. Strange my Hba1c went down to 41 and they wanted to take Metformin off me. It doesn't actually help that much; but, even a small difference, over time, might be significant. Why wouldn't we want to give ourselves any advantage? Are you sure your BP didn't go up because of the consultation? Mine would have.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rubbish nurses.. yes.. ignore her.. no way could metformin have had such a good effect on HbA1c..she's just towing the party line.. my nurse said the same until I told her I had stopped taking the pesky things after 3 weeks... that wiped the smile off her face.
Brilliant.

Reactions: waterlily2

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks bulkbiker, May do the same just to see if I can prove her wrong. Blood pressure bit is worrying though

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes. Probably most of us from what I read here. The DN did not listen to you. Strange my Hba1c went down to 41 and they wanted to take Metformin off me. It doesn't actually help that much; but, even a small difference, over time, might be significant. Why wouldn't we want to give ourselves any advantage? Are you sure your BP didn't go up because of the consultation? Mine would have.

Thanks dbr10 I actually asked her to repeat it and came back worse, will check myself at home later, I never get a reading like that at home

Reactions: dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I told my nurse that I thought that I had proven that diet was a big factor in sugar control and she agreed. I also said that the result was much more significant than what you get from pills and she agreed.

I seem to have totally changed her mind for her over the years but we began with the faith in pills malarky.

From all the stories I have read on here my DN is a bit unusual.

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
You might 'suffer' from white coat syndrome. This is when a professional (nurse, Dr etc) takes your blood pressure you are anxious about it and the numbers go up. Worth taking it yourself before you go to the next appointment at the end of the month. My last check I had come down from 44 to 40 and my DN thought this was great.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @waterlily2 sorry you had a disappointing experience rather than the really well done and tell me how you did it which is what you deserved. So here’s a well done from me and a congratulatory hug too.
It’s also your decision about the Metformin.
Re your blood pressure - mine is always high in the drs surgery which they’ve accepted. What I do is take readings at home for the two weeks before appointments record on a piece of paper and work out the average. I take this in to my appointment and this average is what now goes on my record. Why not do the same and take it with you you dont want be on be meds unless you have actually got high blood pressure. Take care

Last edited:

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bulkbiker, May do the same just to see if I can prove her wrong. Blood pressure bit is worrying though
I also suffer from white coat syndrome and my nurse was very understanding and arranged for me to borrow a blood pressure monitor from the surgery for a week, where I was able to take readings at roughly the same time each day, twice a day, then give them my week's records. It could be worth asking if they would do the same for you.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With regards to your blood pressure, buy yourself a meter. They are not expensive, I got a ‘top of the range’ Omron one on eBay for less than £30. There are much cheaper ones than that available, not long ago Lloyd’s Pharmacy were almost giving them away. Take your blood pressure every day, maybe even several times a day at first and you will find out the time when it’s lowest. If you have a smartphone there is a brilliant app called iBP. I record mine and hubby’s readings on there, it calls up your history in terms of a table, averages, graphs. My GP loves it, I just hand over the phone and away he goes. Many, many people have artificially elevated BP in the doctor’s Surgery, probably due to anxiety, ‘White Coat Syndrome’ is a well known phenomenon, and BP meds are not what you want to be on if you can possibly avoid them. The same actions that will control your blood glucose will have a positive effect on your Blood Pressure. Good luck to you, you are doing great, just carry on, you are in control!

Reactions: waterlily2

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @waterlily2 sorry you had a disappointing experience rather than the really well done and tell me how you did it which is what you deserved. So here’s a well done from me and a congratulatory hug too.
It’s also your decision about the Metformin.
Re your blood pressure - mine is always high in the drs surgery which they’ve accepted. What I do is take readings at home for the two weeks before appointments record on a piece of paper and work out the average. I take this in to my appointment and this average is what now goes on my record. Why not do the same and take it with you you dont want be on be meds unless you have actually got high blood pressure. Take care

Thanks shelley262, I really appreciate the hug and will definitely take your advice re the blood pressure

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I’m jumping in here again! It’s not actually down to your DN what drugs you choose to take, it’s down to you. You need to get a bit more positive and assertive! Think out what you want to do, what you want to say, and practice it a lot, phrases that you are comfortable with. Practice it, say it out loud! I would be saying, “I am very happy following a Low Carb Diet and I have decided that I want to stop taking Metformin”. It’s that simple! It is your body, it is your life, it is your choice! If she tries to persuade you to stay on it, be ready with a response. “Thank you for your concern, I really do appreciate it, but I would prefer to try to do without this drug, at least until my next review, then we can discuss it again”. Medical professionals are sometimes a little uncomfortable with assertive patients, but with politeness, plenty of smiles and positive comments, you can achieve what you want to achieve. Well done, you, again, you are doing brilliantly!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I’m jumping in here again! It’s not actually down to your DN what drugs you choose to take, it’s down to you. You need to get a bit more positive and assertive! Think out what you want to do, what you want to say, and practice it a lot, phrases that you are comfortable with. Practice it, say it out loud! I would be saying, “I am very happy following a Low Carb Diet and I have decided that I want to stop taking Metformin”. It’s that simple! It is your body, it is your life, it is your choice! If she tries to persuade you to stay on it, be ready with a response. “Thank you for your concern, I really do appreciate it, but I would prefer to try to do without this drug, at least until my next review, then we can discuss it again”. Medical professionals are sometimes a little uncomfortable with assertive patients, but with politeness, plenty of smiles and positive comments, you can achieve what you want to achieve. Well done, you, again, you are doing brilliantly!
Good advice @AtkinsMo ive got my DN appt first thing in am and am taking on board your advice for in case we start on the you need to take statins to avoid a heart attack route!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@waterlily2 - If she took your BP when you were a bit tense - which could be quite possible at your review, it could have nudged it up a bit. Don't panic, and just wee what it is next time around.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good advice @AtkinsMo ive got my DN appt first thing in am and am taking on board your advice for in case we start on the you need to take statins to avoid a heart attack route!
Oh well, the Statin debate is another one! I have been steadfastly refusing Statins for many years. Haha, I usually start that conversation with “There are no circumstances where you could persuade me to take Statins, so there’s no point us wasting our time having the discussion”. As it’s one of my passions and I find the science and the manipulation of statistics fascinating, it’s easy to throw in snippets like, “You do know that this so called risk reduction is Relative Risk, are you aware of how low the percentage reduction in Absolute Risk is? And even more interesting, of course, is that there is NO risk reduction for women! Fascinating subject.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine went down after low carbing for about 6 months and losing a chunk of weight.
Mine went too low after losing weight. Had to come off the pills; which, of course, suggests that I basically took them for ten years when it wasn't really necessary.

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With regards to your blood pressure, buy yourself a meter. They are not expensive, I got a ‘top of the range’ Omron one on eBay for less than £30. There are much cheaper ones than that available, not long ago Lloyd’s Pharmacy were almost giving them away. Take your blood pressure every day, maybe even several times a day at first and you will find out the time when it’s lowest. If you have a smartphone there is a brilliant app called iBP. I record mine and hubby’s readings on there, it calls up your history in terms of a table, averages, graphs. My GP loves it, I just hand over the phone and away he goes. Many, many people have artificially elevated BP in the doctor’s Surgery, probably due to anxiety, ‘White Coat Syndrome’ is a well known phenomenon, and BP meds are not what you want to be on if you can possibly avoid them. The same actions that will control your blood glucose will have a positive effect on your Blood Pressure. Good luck to you, you are doing great, just carry on, you are in control!

Thanks AtkinsMo, I’ve got an omron meter already so will use it daily until I go back. Thanks for advice on the app, I’ll look into that one. Must be white coat syndrome, had medical at work 3 weeks ago and blood pressure was fine