Ketones

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
last night, before bed, I did my ketones reading vis ketastix (urine). The reading was above 8. Never had it that high before!
Panicked and ate some boiled mushrooms, sugar free jelly and cream and drunk as much water as possible. My bedtime BG was 5.1
My fasting blood 14 hours later was 5.0
I am on a LC med to high fat diet, recently come off metformin. I did exercise yesterday, to the point of breaking out into a sweat. I also lost a 1 lb weight since yesterday :)

* My question is should I be concerned in future if my ketones gives such a high reading or even higher?
I am type 2, diagnosed 12 April 2018. Thank you!

Last edited:

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[I use ketosticks too to check if i am in ketosis. there is no need to panic about very dark purple readings as it could just be that you were dehydrated so that your urine was very strong. Are you drinking the recommended 3 to 4 litres of fluid? also it is widely known that ketosticks are notoriously unreliable so i would personally take the blood test much more seriously than i would ketosticks. i use them purely to see if i am burning fat and haven't slipped out of ketosis. as long as it's pink or purple i am happy. hope this helps.

Reactions: Petaluk

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you!
Yes I think I was dehydrated, my urine had a strong odour, which wasn’t familiar.
What is the blood test you talk of please? Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a ketone meter and strips. They work just like our BG meters.

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!
Yes I think I was dehydrated, my urine had a strong odour, which wasn’t familiar.
What is the blood test you talk of please? Thanks
the blood test i was talking of is the finger prick test with a blood glucose meter.

Reactions: Petaluk