Ladies Shoes Recommendations For Diabetics

woodbine

My 74 year old mother has recently been discharged from hospital, after diagnosis and treatment of diabetes. Unfortunately, she is now down to 9 toes.

The doctors impressed on her the importance of caring for her feet, and selecting shoes that won't cut or rub her feet.

Can anyone recommend a supplier or brand of shoes suitable for her. She's hoping for something not too grannyish, but I have said that she may have to comprimise.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

jmd12

Hotter shoes are good - they have various styles that come in wider widths. I have found them comfortable and have had a couple of pairs for years and years!
Have bought cheaper shoes and ended up throwing them out.
You can buy them on line too or by post if you do not have a local stockist.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rather than recommending a particular manufacturer, I would say that trying on shoes is even more important with a diagnosis of diabetes and foot problems. Trying on shoes in afternoon is better, as feet tend to swell through the day.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Yes, it's imperative that she tries them on, as peoples feet are so variable.
Get them measured, and try on many different shoes.

'Diabetic' shoes are really unneccessary, any comfortable shoes will be better. Look for something with a good support on the arch, and a whole, not open, toe. Other than that, it doesn't have to be dull in the least.
Comfort for HER feet is the biggest priority.

I've been wearing New Rock shoes for over 10 years. They're definitly not to everyone's tastes lol.. but they're good quality and suit my feet.
Never order online, unless you've already got a pair, as you can't be sure they'll be good for your feet.

anniep

My Mum diabetic with wide feet and she found cosyfeet shoes very good. discovering these was the first time in years she had shoes that fitted.

we were only able to use the internet but there was no hassle about buying to try and returning any that didn't fit.

They are not cheap but they do have their internet site set up so that diabetics can reclaim the vat on the shoes.