Tingly hands

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Long term type 1 diabetic here, this last year the hands are getting tingly/fuzzy/dead feeling. What is this condition called! Anyone with experience of it, tell me can it be managed?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there @Dearbhla hazarding a guess but not a GP, it may be neuropathy, it's best to see your consultant about this to get a professional diagnosis.

Reactions: Dearbhla

damianpclow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have Neuropathy. Affects left hand, left leg, right foot & stomach/bowel. Non-reversible but take Gabapentin to help it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Long term type 1 diabetic here, this last year the hands are getting tingly/fuzzy/dead feeling. What is this condition called! Anyone with experience of it, tell me can it be managed?

Hi,

Just out of curiosity. Do you use electric power tools for prolonged periods of time? "Angle grinders"/cutters, Hammer drills..
The vibrations can cause simalar sensations in the hands. Even in non Ds.

Do consult your doctor on this matter.

Good luck.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How are your Bg levels in general ?
Did DAFNE 7or8yrs ago, much better managed since then. 35yrs diabetic, so it's bound to happen. Thing is Juicyj I've found the tingly thing had started a good year ago every now and then, said it to go and consultants, on Rampiril to slow it down...I changed from Rampiril to Valsartan which doesn't give me pains and coughing.
but in the last month it's happening every day, a few times a day. Worrying a bit now.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Just out of curiosity. Do you use electric power tools for prolonged periods of time? "Angle grinders"/cutters, Hammer drills..
The vibrations can cause simalar sensations in the hands. Even in non Ds.

Do consult your doctor on this matter.

Good luck.
Like reynauds affects on fingers.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

While neuropathy is a likely cause, don't rule out low vitamin b12 (pernicious anemia often occurs in diabetics as it is another autoimmune condition)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Carpal tunnel syndome???

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It could be carpal tunnel, like @EllieM says, which can affect anyone, so ask to be referred to a neurology unit for tests for that to before you assume it’s neuropathy? 31 years T1 doesn’t necessarily lead to complications.

Kirbster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As mentioned above, I too was thinking carpal tunnel only because I've had it in both hands before, and required surgery on each. The main symptoms are pain, numbness, and tingling, in the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and the thumb side of the ring fingers. It is often worse at night.

Not sure if that helps but it might help narrow down what it could be until you can see someone about it.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
While neuropathy is a likely cause, don't rule out low vitamin b12 (pernicious anemia often occurs in diabetics as it is another autoimmune condition)
True, yep had muscle spasms, thought they were because of valsartan, reluctant to stop the valsartan...started on b vitamins, after winter/being run down...and the spasms were gone in 2weeks, still taking the valsartan. Swear by the b vitamins too! They seem to get hair and nails growing?