Prediabetes Blood sugars rising after Exercise...

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

A Question about the mechanics of blood sugar rising shortly after exercise- just trying to get my head around it.

So, after a 45 min jog, I notice my blood sugars going up shortly after...
They say to exercise as it helps regulate the blood sugars and makes the muscles more insulin sensititve right?
My current HBA1C is 35 last test in march, after my first ever reading of 42 back in December last year.
*So I got it back out of range quickly, but I assume there is still insulin resistance of some sort? (how do you know for sure?)

My blood sugar level was 4.9 this morning at 11am (haven't eaten yet today) and I went for a 45 min jog.
Came home, and tested- its now 5.8.
I read that it is normal for the liver to release glycogen, so people have the energy they need, but in an individual with not enough insulin, or insulin resistance, you will often see the blood sugar go up shortly after exercise in response.

*So I assume as mine is going up afterwards, that i still have insulin resistance, even though my hba1c is now 35 ?

I read "During exercise, your body burns glycogen, a form of glucose that is stored in your muscles. After exercise, your muscles replenish their glycogen stores with glucose from the bloodstream. The more glycogen that is burned during a bout of activity, the longer the body's insulin sensitivity is improved"

*So even though I am seeing my blood sugars going up, it is doing a good thing for my body releasing that glycogen right?

I was planning on doing a 24 hr fast today, so wasn't going to eat until this evening late.
I assume that I should expect to see increments today similar where the sugar goes down a bit and then back up on its own as it releases more fuel?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

A Question about the mechanics of blood sugar rising shortly after exercise- just trying to get my head around it.

So, after a 45 min jog, I notice my blood sugars going up shortly after...
They say to exercise as it helps regulate the blood sugars and makes the muscles more insulin sensititve right?
My current HBA1C is 35 last test in march, after my first ever reading of 42 back in December last year.
*So I got it back out of range quickly, but I assume there is still insulin resistance of some sort? (how do you know for sure?)

My blood sugar level was 4.9 this morning at 11am (haven't eaten yet today) and I went for a 45 min jog.
Came home, and tested- its now 5.8.
I read that it is normal for the liver to release glycogen, so people have the energy they need, but in an individual with not enough insulin, or insulin resistance, you will often see the blood sugar go up shortly after exercise in response.

*So I assume as mine is going up afterwards, that i still have insulin resistance, even though my hba1c is now 35 ?

I read "During exercise, your body burns glycogen, a form of glucose that is stored in your muscles. After exercise, your muscles replenish their glycogen stores with glucose from the bloodstream. The more glycogen that is burned during a bout of activity, the longer the body's insulin sensitivity is improved"

*So even though I am seeing my blood sugars going up, it is doing a good thing for my body releasing that glycogen right?

I was planning on doing a 24 hr fast today, so wasn't going to eat until this evening late.
I assume that I should expect to see increments today similar where the sugar goes down a bit and then back up on its own as it releases more fuel?
My first comment is that your blood glucose is not spiking very much - not even into a diabetic range. For example as a type 1 mine can go from 7 to 15 if I do something intense or do weights.
As a trainer, I would say you are doing the right thing re insulin sensitivity and using up excess glucose by exercising provided your routine includes some resistance based exercises e.g.squats, lunges, push up, pull ups...
The fact that your body is releasing a small amount of energy into your blood stream is good in that it is not toxic and shows that your training is demanding. I assume your bg does not stay elevated?
Re insulin resistance I would say that in a perfect world you could perhaps tell by getting testing for hyperinsulinaemia (sorry if I spelt that incoorectly) which is what caused the resistance in the first place however if your HBA1c /OGTT remain normal that is a pretty good indicator. Testing for insulin is complicated and lengthy so that is probably why they don't do it routinely.

Reactions: STARRYNIGHTS

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing for insulin is complicated and lengthy so that is probably why they don't do it routinely.
Its a blood test like any other just that the NHS has apparently never heard of it whereas private companies seem to be able to do it easily. I've had my fasting insulin one twice now just a shame I have to pay £39 a time for it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its a blood test like any other just that the NHS has apparently never heard of it whereas private companies seem to be able to do it easily. I've had my fasting insulin one twice now just a shame I have to pay £39 a time for it.
That is interesting. I want one for my husband but have been scoffed at by the lovely but old school GP. Which company did you use and was it a blood test for a Kraft (5 hour process) one as referenced by Ivor Cummiins?

Reactions: STARRYNIGHTS

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: NicoleC1971

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all this info!

I would happily pay to get the blood test privately as i know there are more needy people out there than me, but i want to know where i stand, so I can arrest this and never progress to T2 !
Having an Aunty with shocking health, and having been in a coma from organ shutdown for over a month, and a subsequent tracheal resection which isn't working, due to damage when she was intubated in a hurry, it has driven home how i don't ever want to be going there if I can help it!

@bulkbiker - If you want to pay for a private test, do the doctors office do the draw for free for you even if you have no NHS test being done at the same time?

@NicoleC1971 Thanks for all that info!
3 hours later- still fasting my BC is 4.1... feeling a teeny bit weak now and my binge brain is kicking in, but i won't eat until 9pm as i am determined to make 24 hours just to prove to myself I can do it!
So far (7 mths post partum) all I have done exercise wise is a slow 45 min jog a couple of times a week for the last month.
I aim to take the dogs for a Jog every weekday morning now if i can if its not raining.

I was very sedentary most of the last preg as I was so sick, and then when the vomiting stopped, I had carpal tunnel, restless legs, constant ailments including a really bad chronic cough so I just felt miserable and ****!
Then post pregnancy i had a diastasis recti over 3cm, so I wasn't able to start exercising again until it had closed sufficiently.
It is now almost completely closed, but for a gap un the upper abdominals.
Yes- i could have gone for a walk, but it took me time to be able to get back into juggling 4 home educated kids and a baby- but I'm doing it now, especially since i know how important exercise is.

We have free weights at home and a weight bench so I am going to start doing weights again.

I have been about 48.5 - 51.5 kg my whole adult life (5'4") but got up to 78 kg at the end of the preg, (and i have had 5 babies) so even though it was all out the front, it is still alot for my frame to carry.
I lost the first 7 kg after the birth in a couple of the weeks, and the next 10 kg has been hard work to get rid of.
I still have 11 kgs to go.
All my fat is around my middle unfortunately so the worst possible place to be!

Even though my HBA1C shows normal now (and hopefully even better next time ) I still know from looking with a glucose meter, that sometimes my levels aren't always back down below 7.8 2hr ppd .Most of the time they are below that by a fair bit, but once or twice i have seen it at 8.0.
My fasting is normally around av 4.9, ranging from 4.4 to 5.4 on odd readings, but I have had 3 readings in the last week at 6.2, 6.6 and 6.5 which worried me!

They are the only higher fasting readings I have had.
The day it showed 6.6 fasting, I tested again a while later, still fasting and it was 7.7, so who knows why the frick it was doing that?

So I really have no idea how to gauge how I am doing yet, or to feel relaxed about it, when i see the odd thing like that.
The doctor said i am no longer pre-diabetic and he's happy, but obviously even though my hba1c looks good, my blood sugar doesn't always behave like a normal person, so I know I am not "normal" if you know what I mean, so I am still a bit worried when i see funny numbers!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker - If you want to pay for a private test, do the doctors office do the draw for free for you even if you have no NHS test being done at the same time?
I doubt it.. Although I will admit I have never asked.
The first time I had the test I went for a private blood draw £25.00
The second time I got the test to come at the same time as my HbA1c test so just took the medichecks vial along with me to the phlebotomist. As I had already asked for the insulin test from the surgery and thy said they didn't/couldn't do it the phleb was ok with filling up the medichecks vial (once she found my vein on the 4th attempt... but that's another story)