Liver function

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week I had my full blood works taken, this morning I get a call from GP surgery to say I need to make a NON URGENT appointment regarding my liver function. No appointments available until next Friday (18th May) so best is a phone consultation next Tuesday (15th) I take Levothyroxine just 50mcg one day 100mcg the next for my thyroid. Receptionist kept saying not to panic as it was NON URGENT, but I'm panicking.

I've been type 1 for 46 years without any problems so far.

I know it's impossible to say, but any suggestions what can be going on, it's going to be a long week

Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What you need is a print out of the test results (if you don't have access to them on-line as many of us do). Without that you have no idea which functions are causing concern, and there is nothing we can do to explain things. Perhaps ring the receptionist again and ask her to do a print out that you can call in to collect.

At the end of the day, the receptionist is right - if it had been urgent, your doctor would not have asked for a non-urgent appointment.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week I had my full blood works taken, this morning I get a call from GP surgery to say I need to make a NON URGENT appointment regarding my liver function. No appointments available until next Friday (18th May) so best is a phone consultation next Tuesday (15th) I take Levothyroxine just 50mcg one day 100mcg the next for my thyroid. Receptionist kept saying not to panic as it was NON URGENT, but I'm panicking.

I've been type 1 for 46 years without any problems so far.

I know it's impossible to say, but any suggestions what can be going on, it's going to be a long week

Thanks.
I had full blood works last Wednesday as well as a chest X-Ray due to this coughing virus I've had for a number of weeks. I've heard nothing back from either the hospital or my GP but went online and noticed problems with my liver function and needed to see my GP. I immediately made an appointment when one became available and am seeing someone tomorrow. I'm assuming that because no one has been in touch that it's non urgent. I've also been on Levothyroxine since last August and have been diabetic now for 52 years.

Reactions: Grannypat

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had full blood works last Wednesday as well as a chest X-Ray due to this coughing virus I've had for a number of weeks. I've heard nothing back from either the hospital or my GP but went online and noticed problems with my liver function and needed to see my GP. I immediately made an appointment when one became available and am seeing someone tomorrow. I'm assuming that because no one has been in touch that it's non urgent. I've also been on Levothyroxine since last August and have been diabetic now for 52 years.

Sounds similar to mine, surgery just phoned to say results back, problem with liver function and to make a non-urgent appointment, or telephone consult, which is next Tuesday, I've been on Levothyroxine for the past 4 years now, but just a low dose, maybe my dose needs upping as thyroid/liver function are associated with each other.........well that's what I'm hoping. Good luck tomorrow, please do let us know how you get on.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect it is fatty liver and your GP will send you for a scan to confirm.

The good news is that low carb diets are proven to reverse fatty liver.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds similar to mine, surgery just phoned to say results back, problem with liver function and to make a non-urgent appointment, or telephone consult, which is next Tuesday, I've been on Levothyroxine for the past 4 years now, but just a low dose, maybe my dose needs upping as thyroid/liver function are associated with each other.........well that's what I'm hoping. Good luck tomorrow, please do let us know how you get on.
I expect it is fatty liver and your GP will send you for a scan to confirm.

The good news is that low carb diets are proven to reverse fatty liver.
I've been low carbing now for about 4 years but have noticed that there were two other occasions when there was a problem with my liver function. It always seems to be when I have been particularly ill and at a low ebb.

Last edited:

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffer with sciatica and had been taking Ibuprofen for about a week, only stopped the weekend before my blood tests, now I'm wondering if these made my results show up as abnormal. Same here low carb diet :bored:

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to go for another blood test in three weeks to see if my liver function has settled, but they have found problems elsewhere which could be a cause.

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to go for another blood test in three weeks to see if my liver function has settled, but they have found problems elsewhere which could be a cause.

What else did they find if you don't mind me asking? I'm getting worried now

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well had my GP call, apparently my bilirubin levels were slightly raised, she didn't seem overly concerned about it, said my white blood count was slightly raised too so the two could be linked, I told her I had had the sickness bug a while back so she thinks that 'could' be it. She mentioned something called Gilberts Syndrome (never heard of it) but wants me to repeat the blood test in 2 months time. So hopefully I'm not being written off just yet :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still waiting to find out what is going on with my liver and, in fact, all the rest of me. I only agreed to have surgery on my parathyroid because I was told that the dysfunction would kill me in about 10 years. Well - I'll be lucky to last another 10 years anyway, but I wanted to feel as well as possible during my declining years. I don't know if there is a connection between liver and thyroid function, but for years I was told that there was nothing I could do about my NAFL disease. Now I'm told that if I had worked at it, I could have done something about it. So it's my fault that I didn't and now it's too late!

My parathyroid was growing into my thyroid, so a lump of that had to be taken away as well. That was last September and soon I was put onto Levothyroxine (50Mcgm then upped to 75Mcgm). Since then I've been feeling steadily worse and now can't stand up without fainting. I don't know what the issue is but I can't help linking it to the parathyroid surgery.

I finally got a doctor's appointment for tomorrow, so perhaps something can be sorted out then. Blood test due next week - that might show something, but I have no idea what.

PS and endoscopy last month showed something wrong in my stomach, but haven't heard the result of a biopsy taken then. Probably would have done if there was anything sinister going on. Do I believe that? Not really but we live in hope.