White carb to complex carb

MarkR 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Know low carb diet is what i'm following however my other half is a ken home cook and I don't want to miss out on her goodies.
So what's everyone's thoughts on following the same or similar recipes but replacing the flour with better carbs. E.g Yorkshire puddings with wholemeal flour, pancakes with wholemeal flour and ground flax seeds etc etc.
Serving of these would still be small but better than craving then when she makes them for the kids.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts.. (you did ask)... whatever the colour flour is bad for you and for the other half and the kids...
I'd rather quash the cravings and hang on to my eyes and toes... but thats just me.

MarkR 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My thoughts.. (you did ask)... whatever the colour flour is bad for you and for the other half and the kids...
I'd rather quash the cravings and hang on to my eyes and toes... but thats just me.

Your right I did ask! I'm still new to this only 2 weeks into diagnosis and haven't had any of these thu us yet as I'm determined to get my bg stable and under control. The missus has been enjoying the challenge of creating me low carb meals that keep me filled up.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Know low carb diet is what i'm following however my other half is a ken home cook and I don't want to miss out on her goodies.
So what's everyone's thoughts on following the same or similar recipes but replacing the flour with better carbs. E.g Yorkshire puddings with wholemeal flour, pancakes with wholemeal flour and ground flax seeds etc etc.
Serving of these would still be small but better than craving then when she makes them for the kids.

Its much better if you can kick the habit - including your kids - however rather than assuming " wholemeal" flour s necessarily the best answer, how about investigating the "Old " traditional flours. These are the ones that still grow to waist height
I don't bother much, though I do have a supply of these traditional ones for the rare occasions when I do want to put a flour thickener in it. In general I have found they don't spike me particularly in small quantities. eg

http://www.countryfile.com/artisanflour

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
The information on "glucose loading" that led to the glycaemic index is flawed in two important aspects for diabetics; The first and most significant is that diabetics show much higher blood sugar increases than nondiabetics. The glycaemic index measurement is usually made on a number of nondiabetics, averaged and then expressed as a percent.
The intial work did not follow the experimental subjects for long enough (3 hours) to see the delayed spike that occurs much later (5 hours +).

These issues are not important for people with a normal metabolism. They may be very significant for diabetics.

If you do go ahead, I would suggest measuring your BG every hour or so for at least six hours to see what happens.

justadad

My son has been a type 1 for over a year now.
Parboiled rice has little effect on his blood sugars compared to white rice.
Buckwheat flour much better than white and wholemeal flour.
Also, coconut and almond flour for pancakes. No drastic spikes that regular flour would definitely cause.

Cheers

Reactions: lindijanice

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My son has been a type 1 for over a year now.
Parboiled rice has little effect on his blood sugars compared to white rice.
Buckwheat flour much better than white and wholemeal flour.
Also, coconut and almond flour for pancakes. No drastic spikes that regular flour would definitely cause.

Cheers

But as you say Type 1 - with presumably the means to adjust insulin doses to cope with than.

Type 2s, like the OP, who may be trying to manage by diet alone may have to avoid the carb intake in the first place.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

If your wife is a keen cook, and is willing to experiment, there are a heck of a lot of options out there that are very low carb.
Not talking about replacing white with brown flour options, I'm talking about replacing the wheat flour with almond or coconut flours. The range of amazing recipes is really impressive.

Have a look at these websites.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/?s=cakes

https://healthylivinginbodyandmind.com/24-fathead-cheese-dough-recipes-low-carb-gluten-free/

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-coconut-lemon-curd-cake/

The ingredient lists seem quite bizarre to a newcomer, and some of the items are best ordered online because your local shop won't have them.
But my goodness, they are worth it!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate low carb for decades whilst cooking for the family - I just added in some potatoes or other carb dense foods for the others and made a small amount of a low carb food for myself - roasting some veges with the meat was a simple option as it did not take up a ring on top of the cooker.
Even these days when visiting family the same options are there - and the others eat their sugar free jelly with sugary fruits though I do sometimes wish the little ones got a lower carb diet rather than all the processed stuff.
I have, at last, done a bit of experimenting with cooking, and discovered that I can eat Yorkshire puddings made with half a pint of water, three large tablespoons of extra thick cream and three half cups of bread flour (US type measures) and a pinch of salt then three large eggs - enough batter to make a dozen small puddings. I first made these to eat last Christmas, and was rather surprised to get readings of 5.6mmol/l after two meals but it was a year since diagnosis by then. Yes, they contain flour - 3/4 of the usual recipe, and it is bread flour, which has a bit more protein - but the carbs from the pint of milk aren't there. The puddings are very light and puffed up, and are delicious made with the fat from the joint.
There are no 'better' carbs that I have found - and I would advise getting low readings as your norm before experimenting to much - but for me - well I would not say that being able to eat Yorkshire puddings again was the icing on the cake - as it is much better than that.

MarkR 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome

If your wife is a keen cook, and is willing to experiment, there are a heck of a lot of options out there that are very low carb.
Not talking about replacing white with brown flour options, I'm talking about replacing the wheat flour with almond or coconut flours. The range of amazing recipes is really impressive.

Have a look at these websites.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/?s=cakes

https://healthylivinginbodyandmind.com/24-fathead-cheese-dough-recipes-low-carb-gluten-free/

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-coconut-lemon-curd-cake/

The ingredient lists seem quite bizarre to a newcomer, and some of the items are best ordered online because your local shop won't have them.
But my goodness, they are worth it!
I've just shown her this and her face lit up at the baking options.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam I am interested in trying those Yorkshire puds. I have no idea what a cup size is (other than a 36B) How much is that in grams or ounces?

MarkR 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Resurgam I am interested in trying those Yorkshire puds. I have no idea what a cup size is (other than a 36B) How much is that in grams or ounces?
Hi I'm Mark's wife Emma and a us cup weight can differ depending on the ingredient but a good easy measure 1cup is approx 1/2 a mug.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi I'm Mark's wife Emma and a us cup weight can differ depending on the ingredient but a good easy measure 1cup is approx 1/2 a mug.
Easy fail-proof way.. Take a mug fill up with plain flour empty into bowl, add milk fill right to top of the mug same as flour, tip into bowl, add two eggs to the bowl, some salt...Then just beat like crazy...

MarkR 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Easy fail-proof way.. Take a mug fill up with plain flour empty into bowl, add milk fill right to top of the mug same as flour, tip into bowl, add two eggs to the bowl, some salt...Then just beat like crazy...
Good old fashioned measuring, I however like to measure and count every carb and calorie.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
But that is a pretty standard 'ordinary' recipe - not tweaked for lower BG results.
I'll just go find a weighing device.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you, but how big is a mug???? Mine are all different sizes. Much easier to have it in grams or ounces.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did just one trial - using the bread flour from Lidl I usually use and got 275gm total flour - it should be added in three stages into a goblet blender or jug with stick blender, as adding it all at once can cause clogging or sticking to the sides of the container. You might get away with less flour - the final batter should be the consistency of double cream.
These are still quite high in carbs, but - for a special occasion, and several trials, increasing the number one at a time - if you can manage that, you can test your tolerance, and will power too, though others at the table will, I am sure, hoover up the rest of the puds no problem.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did just one trial - using the bread flour from Lidl I usually use and got 275gm total flour - it should be added in three stages into a goblet blender or jug with stick blender, as adding it all at once can cause clogging or sticking to the sides of the container. You might get away with less flour - the final batter should be the consistency of double cream.
These are still quite high in carbs, but - for a special occasion, and several trials, increasing the number one at a time - if you can manage that, you can test your tolerance, and will power too, though others at the table will, I am sure, hoover up the rest of the puds no problem.

Thank you.

MarkR 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.
Emma again, I'd totally forgot I had mocked up a recipe last week not yet trailed it but this was it with carb and calorie count. X

100g wholemeal flour
150ml skimmed milk
2 medium eggs
Makes 12
86 Calories and 12.7g Carbs per pudding.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Emma again, I'd totally forgot I had mocked up a recipe last week not yet trailed it but this was it with carb and calorie count. X

100g wholemeal flour
150ml skimmed milk
2 medium eggs
Makes 12
86 Calories and 12.7g Carbs per pudding.

Thank you. However, too many carbs for me for one pudding. 20g carbs is the most I have in any evening meal, and less at lunch. No breakfasts. Other than the skimmed milk (which has more carbs than full fat) it isn't too far removed from a normal yorkshire pud mix.