Podiatrist referrals for Type 2s.

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if Type 2's are supposed to be referred to a podiatrist? When I saw the nurse a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I'd been having trouble with an I growing toe nail, she gave it a quick glance and said I wasn't entitled to a referral.
In hindsight I believe there's some fungal infection there, as the nail is more thickened and white and I have to admit to picking at it, to try and stop it growing in at the side. It was really painful for a few weeks and I think it was due to me making it sore.
The NHS site says that we are entitled to a referral. It's very confusing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only speak for my surgery.

No, we do not get referred to a podiatrist automatically. The nurse does our foot checks for sensation and pulse. However, there is a self referral service to a podiatrist for people with problems, which is free. There is a waiting list, and once she has examined your feet you are discharged unless something needs attention, in which case she will see you again until it is resolved. Other than that, it is a private one.

D

Deleted member 464700

I also had an ingrowing toe nail and the HHS Nurse said I should see a chiropodist, but they were not allowed to recommend one. I just asked for a list of local Chirps and they wouldn't give me that either. I have now got a local Lady that I see every six weeks at a cost of £22, and my toe nail is now fixed

Reactions: Alexandra100

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
At my surgery, if type2, you only get referred to a podiatrist if there is a problem that the surgery can,t deal with.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have just got a new health care plan for Podiatry, I get five free visits a year to a podiatrist.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed that my nails are a lot less rounded as I have been putting a moisturizing cream on them fairly frequently - though it has taken some time to happen as the nail has had to grow right from the base in its new flexible form.
I would caution against cutting the nail short as I found that putting cream under the end of the nail helped - perhaps as it was kept there rather than being rubbed off quickly. As I am confident that my feet are not suffering from a lack of blood supply I do wear sandals - but I buy boy's ones, which are a lot sturdier than women's and have much wider, more protective toes

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
my dn referred me to podiatrist at the local clinic after I told her that I had been paying privately, they see me three monthly now.

Just lucky I guess (doesn't often work that way!)

Reactions: Bluetit1802