Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

40 year old with type 1.

Diagnosed at 16 years old (late) mid 90's

Close control method for most of that.

A young family and increased alcohol intake has made control much more difficult and has got steadily worse in the last 5 years so just trying to wrestle it back, and thought coming on here might give me some inspiration and tips especially with exercise and control

see you around

Chris

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
@Chris Bowsher welcome to the forum I only joined a few days ago too and have been given some great advice I was diagnosed when I was 14 (after a double lung transplant) due to medication I have to take I am now 19

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I am Type 2 with no knowledge of insulin. Hopefully some T1s will be along shortly.

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chris Bowsher

Sounds like @Jeremy_Wood may have some things in common.

Welcome to the forum...
Hi @Chris Bowsher and thanks @Diakat for the referral!

Chris I was diagnosed earlier than you (5yo) but had the same issues in early adulthood with young family, alcohol, rising HbA1c and general stress, anxiety and depression. I don't want to go into too much depth on here but if you want to chat send me a DM and I'll be happy to run you through my experiences.

(disclaimer: I went through hell and have come out the other side with minimal scarring!)

J

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Jeremy_Wood & @Diakat and thank you for the warm welcome.

We do seem similar Jeremy. In my late teens, 20's and early 30's i suffered from pretty bad recurrent anxiety and hypochondria. (i think triggered partly by diabetes diagnosis and by nuture)

It is much less a part of my life now, but i always have to keep one eye on it, as it's always bubbling under the surface.

I think probably having two small children is the biggest factor that affects my diabetes currently.
Mainly because i have very little spare time and also because my life revolves around being reactive rather than proactive. Children are pretty unpredictable!

I've already learnt a few interesting things about control from reading the forum.

I've started carb counting now and taken into account insulin ratios and how they can change during the day depending on various factors.

See you guys around!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diakat

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Jeremy_Wood & @Diakat and thank you for the warm welcome.

We do seem similar Jeremy. In my late teens, 20's and early 30's i suffered from pretty bad recurrent anxiety and hypochondria. (i think triggered partly by diabetes diagnosis and by nuture)

It is much less a part of my life now, but i always have to keep one eye on it, as it's always bubbling under the surface.

I think probably having two small children is the biggest factor that affects my diabetes currently.
Mainly because i have very little spare time and also because my life revolves around being reactive rather than proactive. Children are pretty unpredictable!

I've already learnt a few interesting things about control from reading the forum.

I've started carb counting now and taken into account insulin ratios and how they can change during the day depending on various factors.

See you guys around!
Sounds positive! Keep it up and remember we're all on here for the same thing - to support each other and get support when we need it!

J

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yep, throw kids in the mix and it gets messier. Not to mention more exhausting and frustrating.
Hope chatting here helps you out.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

40 year old with type 1.

Diagnosed at 16 years old (late) mid 90's

Close control method for most of that.

A young family and increased alcohol intake has made control much more difficult and has got steadily worse in the last 5 years so just trying to wrestle it back, and thought coming on here might give me some inspiration and tips especially with exercise and control

see you around

Chris

welcome here Chris , this is a great place for advice and support... there are many type 1´s here too