Low carb restaurants

janeislay

When eating out, why is that you can find vegetarian dishes (usually high carbohydrate pastas, etc) but never low carb dishes ?

Why is that when you ask for more vegetables instead of the potatoes, you get carrots, parsnips, turnips or any root vegetable - never GREEN vegetables ?

Why is it that shops other than supermarkets, (petrol stations, small local Co-ops etc) supply only onions, and other root vegetables - never GREEN vegetables ?

And not that I eat much fruit, other than berries, but the only fruit these small shops sell seem to be bananas !

It's no wonder my BG goes through the roof when I'm away from home :( Why is eating out such a pain ? The whole of Lesmahagow in South Lanarkshire appears to live on Take-aways :(

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Onions and root vegetables have longer shelf lives than leafy green vegetables.

However, tinned / frozen veggies are usually available, increasing range to peas and beans at least.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I think the answer to your question is - because most people do not have a problem with eating carbohydrates. The average person with a funcitoning pancreas will simply metabolise them as nature intended and therefore there is no incentive on the restaurant to offer these kind of choices. Diabetes whilst a common illness is not that common, the vast majority of people don't have it.
I went for a meal yesterday with some friends, not massively high carb but there was some rice and bread in there, which I injected for. One hour later I was 9.1 and I tested my non diabetic friend (he was interested in my testing kit!) and he'd stuffed his face with whatever he wanted plus drunk loads of beer and he was only at 5.3. Hit home how unfair it all is really, but then that's life...

janeislay

I suppose you're right, anticarb. I always think that every third person is diabetic - by the look of what they're eating. There are so many carboholics around nowadays (people that call themselves vegetarians but live on pasta, pizza, bread, cakes and biscuits).

copepod - I don't consider peas or beans much better than root veg :( - certainly not green or leafy !

Dippy3103

I guess anyone who has any kind of restricted diet has the same frustrations. But shops and restaurents can only carry so much stock so they cater to the "normal" diet.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Vegetarian is simply someone who doesn't eat meat... and bread, pasta, etc don't contain any meat. So why the 'supposed'?

Many diabetics don't have a problem with eating those foods either. They have a long shelf life, easy to transport, and extremely tasty and popular.

If you want more diabetic friendly foods, ask for a nice salad instead of vegetables. Always suitable. Pretty much all stores now sell ready made salads. Virtually no carbs.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hiya Jane,

We generally go for the Carvery followed by a cheese plate (I leave the crackers). I load the plate up with Broccoli, cauliflower cheese etc and leave the spuds and yorkshires and generally ask for a bit of all the meats.

Yum Yum

carl

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PizzaExpress do pretty well: it is possible to avoid the stodgy carbs of pizza and pasta and eat fantastic salads and starters full of leafy green spinach/rocket stuff. They're happy to serve you 2 starters instead of a starter and a main, they even do tiny desserts to accompany your coffee if you can justify it. :D