The Newcastle Diet and reversing #Type2Diabetes. What you think?

The Newcastle Diet and reversing #Type2Diabetes. What you think?

• Looks dangerous

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Looks amazing

• I believe it but I am yet to do it

• I have done it but it didn't work for me

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Newcastle diet that helps reverse Typ2Diabetes for some people. Is getting a LOT of press - some of it good - some of it bad. As I was newly diagnosed in November 2017 I am wondering what the general thoughts are about this?

Does it work? Do you know anyone who has made it work.

Or is it too early to say? As a new member of the community I don't know what the thoughts are about it.

As I am wanting to start a non for profit that helps people reverse Type2Diabetes.

So over to the people who know more about this. Have your say on the poll below.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, even the real Newcastle Diet experiment overseen by Prof Taylor was only a 48% success rate, and that was using generous criteria many of us disagree with. (HbA1c of under 48 after one year with no meds for the previous 2 months isn't reversal in my eyes)

Reactions: OrsonKartt
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely. Great point. Some of the newer research is higher I think. But there is never ever going to be something that is 100% - as the diabetes range is too great. Would love to connect with people that are unhappy about the process.

There are a percentage of people who do the diet and it doesn't work to reverse their Type 2. The success rate is nowhere near 100%. I think we've even had some very disappointed people posting on this forum in the past.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did The Blood Sugar Diet by Dr Michael Mosley which is based on the Newcastle Diet but uses real food. I lost over 20 pounds very quickly on it and now have an HbA1c of 42, so according to Prof Roy Taylor's lenient criteria I did indeed reverse my diabetes. I wouldn't have been able to face the meal replacement version, and felt that real low carb food I ate helped me see it through. I also, as was walking an hour a day, stuck to 1000 calories a day, not 800. I think an important point that even Prof Roy Taylor makes is that is doesn't have to be rapid weight loss that works, as long as weight is lost. Where that leaves thin type 2s - I don't know!

I feel that fact I kept my carbs to under 50g a day was as important as the weight loss.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did The Blood Sugar Diet by Dr Michael Mosley which is based on the Newcastle Diet but uses real food. I lost over 20 pounds very quickly on it and now have an HbA1c of 42, so according to Prof Roy Taylor's lenient criteria I did indeed reverse my diabetes. I wouldn't have been able to face the meal replacement version, and felt that real low carb food I ate helped me see it through. I also, as was walking an hour a day, stuck to 1000 calories a day, not 800. I think an important point that even Prof Roy Taylor makes is that is doesn't have to be rapid weight loss that works, as long as weight is lost. Where that leaves thin type 2s - I don't know!

I feel that fact I kept my carbs to under 50g a day was as important as the weight loss.

Completely with you on this one - and in some of the interviews he says that you can do both. Just that quicker can be better. But again it's whatever worked for you! Great stuff. We would love to use the above in a book I am writing about Type2Diabetes and real people that have reversed it. As I believe we need to change the way doctors in the UK treat the condition. So I started this petition - https://www.change.org/p/to-save-th...today-we-teach-doctors-about-the-new-research - But I might be crazy. But sometimes the world needs a bit of crazy. Here's to crazy ones.... So to speak.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Completely with you on this one - and in some of the interviews he says that you can do both. Just that quicker can be better. But again it's whatever worked for you! Great stuff. We would love to use the above in a book I am writing about Type2Diabetes and real people that have reversed it. As I believe we need to change the way doctors in the UK treat the condition. So I started this petition - https://www.change.org/p/to-save-th...today-we-teach-doctors-about-the-new-research - But I might be crazy. But sometimes the world needs a bit of crazy. Here's to crazy ones.... So to speak.
I haven't achieved a year under 48, so am only an anecdotal example of the early results. As for featuring my story in your book, I'm not necessarily up for that, plus I believe this website owns the copyright for anything written on here so you'd have to get permission from them! But good luck with the petition etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a really really good point. I will go directly and ask them. Probably got a bit too excited there. Great work by the way :) And thanks if you did sign the petition. I think I might ask people to do that first - rather than just saying HI - you wanna write a book with me :) #OverExcited

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just that quicker can be better
The only reason this argument exists is that studies have shown people don't stick to a diet.

SO time and rapid weight loss is not the issue.
It's just that people are more likely to stick to it if its for a shorter period of time.

The benefit of quicker is you can stop dieting sooner.;)
:bag:

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to lay a bet that whilst some people on this forum "reversed" their diabetes according to the lenient criteria, there are hundreds that have achieved this in a relatively short time without a very low calorie diet but with the low carb/high fat approach. I am one of them. I had "reversed" my T2 in considerably less than a year and have maintained it for almost 4 years. I was/am eating real food that was/is enjoyable and sustainable.

However, for those that did the ND and succeeded, my hat goes off to them because I could not have done it. I like my food too much and value mealtimes with my husband. For me and hundreds of others on this forum, it wasn't necessary.

Perhaps have a good read round all the success stories.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only reason this argument exists is that studies have shown people don't stick to a diet.

SO time and rapid weight loss is not the issue.
It's just that people are more likely to stick to it if its for a shorter period of time.

The benefit of quicker is you can stop dieting sooner.;)
Wise words

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to be rude Dan.
But you don't seem to have a clue about what your talking about, how does that qualifie you to write a book?

Unless of course the book is titled "T2, I didn't have a clue ":bookworm:

I definitely didn't have a clue before I got it. Which was only last year. Then I was lucky enough to meet some great people who have studied it for decades between them. So now know a bit more. And writing the book with them.

Thanks for the feedback - on the title - the book is now going to be called:

"Reversing Type2 - I didn't have a clue" (#kidding - not kidding - kidding)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to lay a bet that whilst some people on this forum "reversed" their diabetes according to the lenient criteria, there are hundreds that have achieved this in a relatively short time without a very low calorie diet but with the low carb/high fat approach. I am one of them. I had "reversed" my T2 in considerably less than a year and have maintained it for almost 4 years. I was/am eating real food that was/is enjoyable and sustainable.

However, for those that did the ND and succeeded, my hat goes off to them because I could not have done it. I like my food too much and value mealtimes with my husband. For me and hundreds of others on this forum, it wasn't necessary.

Perhaps have a good read round all the success stories.

Yep I have read LOTS of them. All really inspiring. Congrats that you are one of them with the low carb / high fat approach. That sounds like a great way to do it - as not as hardcore - and with real food.

I can't really get into the rest of it for NDA reasons at the moment - but great to talk with you :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am over sensitive to the weightloss concept - I have been told that I am overweight all my life - even when I had a 24 inch waist - but that was when Twiggy was the ideal body image.
I got down to a Hba1c of 41 a year ago just by sticking to under 50 gm of carbs a day. That was the rule - under 50 gm of carbs per day and from low carb foods, limit of 10 percent carbs except for such essentials as small amounts of high cocoa chocolate.
I found it no trouble to stick to the rule, I really enjoyed the 'restricted' diet. Even the lobster.
When I realized I'd lost 40 lb without trying I was astonished.
Keeping things simple and helping with perseverance should be the aim of anyone wishing to help diabetics with a diet which will hopefully be of great use to them.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DanType2DiabetesFree
How about you tell us a little more about you and your plans and experience/interest in diabetes?

Due to an NDA around a few things - which sounds more exciting than it is - I can't say anything except that I was diagnosed with Type2Diabetes in Nov and then was on the BBC Breakfast in April during #DiabetesAwarenessWeek. As part of the research for a book about it all. As I would like to launch an organisation around helping people reverse the condition.

Reactions: AloeSvea