new parent of type1 boy

Issy 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all just a quick hello! My son was diagnosed 10days ago so very early days for us! He's 8 and very angry at the moment which i totally get. This looks a wonderful place for advice, help and meeting others in the same situation. The past two days his numbers have been in range which is fab but absolutely terrifies me . thanks for letting me Join.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Issy 2 and welcome :)

We have a parents section so feel free to browse round and meet other parents. It’s is quite a lot to come to terms with but kids are very adaptable and with support he will get used to the routine of this, a good book for parents is ‘think like a pancreas’ written by a type 1 and a useful book to build knowledge, best wishes.

Issy 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Issy 2 and welcome :)

We have a parents section so feel free to browse round and meet other parents. It’s is quite a lot to come to terms with but kids are very adaptable and with support he will get used to the routine of this, a good book for parents is ‘think like a pancreas’ written by a type 1 and a useful book to build knowledge, best wishes.

Thanks I will definitely take a look at the book and look out the parents section. Thanks again

D

Deleted Account

Welcome to the team.

I was not diagnosed until my 30s so can only vaguely imagine what it is like for an eight year old (and his parents).
On the days I am feeling frustrated by diabetes, I take inspiration from those who are in the public eye with the condition: if you can be a Premiership Rugby player, Oscar-winning actress, famous musician, prime minister, ... with diabetes, it shouldn't stop your son doing what he wants.

lindseyste

Hi all just a quick hello! My son was diagnosed 10days ago so very early days for us! He's 8 and very angry at the moment which i totally get. This looks a wonderful place for advice, help and meeting others in the same situation. The past two days his numbers have been in range which is fab but absolutely terrifies me . thanks for letting me Join.

Hi Helen my son was 8 when diagnosed he will be 14 this year. My heart and soul go out to you ❣ days will be tough and life is about to change completely. But you know what your little boy will take it way way better than us adults because they are stronger than us. He will make you so proud my advice to you listen to the consultants and nurses hopefully you will get good ones ours are fab we are In Merseyside Wirral.
Take each day at a time we tried to make one day a week not all about the big D it’s not easy but keeps you sane. My son is still angry he is changed deep within but it’s also made him who he is today. Diabetes is **** the frustration from lack of knowledge from the rest of the world is even worse learn to bite your tongue quick. Smile at the stupid comments it does get easier not better I would be
Lying but it definitely gets easier. I wish I had a magic wand for all our children they are all the bravest children ever.
Research the freestyle Libre available In Asda pharmacy 46.00 expensive but amazing.
Carb count the honeymoon period is hard in itself.
And lastly research times in certain foods to release carbs culprits are pizza chips deep fried food and basically all fast food. These foods release carbs slower a lot slower due to fat content the insulin kicks in first and before you know it bloods are low you treat them, later the carbs eventually kick in and he is sky high. This is one thing I learnt myself and wish someone would have told me. We now wait till after the meal for those fast food once a month treats to inject.
Wow that’s a lot to take in maybe
Read a line a day lol.
I wish you all love and tell your son he is not Alone x

Dannymum

Hi Issy,
Welcome to the forum, it is full of useful advice and support.
My son was diagnosed at 4.5 yrs, he is 12 now. It is a long , hard road, so you have to keep strong for him. You will get used to what works / does not work for him.
Try to keep him on a healthy, long term diet, lots of low carb. I give Dan lots of berry fruit, cheese, dairy, meat and try to avoid grains, but it is difficult. I find lots of exercise is essential to keep the insulin working well.
Take care & good luck. It is very scary at first, but you learn alot very quickly.
DMxx