Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Highest FBG reading to date (i think). 6.7. Normally 4s or 5s. But there is a reason. Yesterday I reached a weight loss milestone. 40lbs. My final weight loss goal actually so i was very giddy. I always have a small treat when I reach a milestone. But I had a big one yesterday as it coincided with my hba1c etc blood test at the drs. Not got next one for 6 months. So my treat was a piece of (JAWS music would be very apt here!!!) CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE WITH CREAM AND A DOLLOP OF (MUSIC GETS LOUDER!!!) SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM. Naughty....but VERY nice. Last night after 2 hours 7.6. And this morning 6.7 which in the bigger scheme of things I think isn't too bad. I expected it to be much worse. Happy Friday folks.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 today
All down to the red wine last night I think. I overdid it and now have a headache. Serves me right.

@JanetMcDowell that’s brilliant! Well done.

@Mal37 yes I agree, if the day starts off well, with a reading in the 5s it does affect my mood and motivation. Glad about your weight loss.

@Debandez well done that’s really a great achievement, chocolate cake well deserved. Fingers crossed for your A1c result, I’m sure it’ll be a good one, your numbers always seem spot on.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Highest FBG reading to date (i think). 6.7. Normally 4s or 5s. But there is a reason. Yesterday I reached a weight loss milestone. 40lbs. My final weight loss goal actually so i was very giddy. I always have a small treat when I reach a milestone. But I had a big one yesterday as it coincided with my hba1c etc blood test at the drs. Not got next one for 6 months. So my treat was a piece of (JAWS music would be very apt here!!!) CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE WITH CREAM AND A DOLLOP OF (MUSIC GETS LOUDER!!!) SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM. Naughty....but VERY nice. Last night after 2 hours 7.6. And this morning 6.7 which in the bigger scheme of things I think isn't too bad. I expected it to be much worse. Happy Friday folks.
Nice that you had a treat to congratulate yourself and that any damage was slight. I have tried to treat myself with gifts rather than food ... but used to be just like you. I now find that .. what used to once appear to be yummy treats, now means nothing, which is great. I can serve cake, give ice creams etc to my daughter without feeling a need for any myself. I honestly never fancy it. I hope you are as delighted as I would be with your achievement and WELL DONE YOU :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice that you had a treat to congratulate yourself and that any damage was slight. I have tried to treat myself with gifts rather than food ... but used to be just like you. I now find that .. what used to once appear to be yummy treats, now means nothing, which is great. I can serve cake, give ice creams etc to my daughter without feeling a need for any myself. I honestly never fancy it. I hope you are as delighted as I would be with your achievement and WELL DONE YOU :)
It's tradition which is so hard to break. Treat with food. It didn't help we had hubbys brother for dinner and i always buy in a dessert. Bad timing to have a dessert readily available on a milestone day. I could hear it shouting 'eat me' so I just had to oblige!!! But I'm going to try and break with tradition and go with the alternative treat suggestion. Thanks :)

Reactions: JanetMcDowell

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really starting to think fbg is not a useful measure for me. The second reading of the day is my highest average over about a month and a half now. Just tested 2 hrs after 2 cups of tea with double cream and 5.4. This after an hour walk after taking fbg - 4.7 I do not like that rise one bit but am happy enough with fbg. Whinge over but I know Fung says it is a natural Keto adaption - insulin sparing? - anyone else have this issue or have solutions please?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really starting to think fbg is not a useful measure for me. The second reading of the day is my highest average over about a month and a half now. Just tested 2 hrs after 2 cups of tea with double cream and 5.4. This after an hour walk after taking fbg - 4.7 I do not like that rise one bit but am happy enough with fbg. Whinge over but I know Fung says it is a natural Keto adaption - insulin sparing? - anyone else have this issue or have solutions please?

Same here. Second reading is always higher than waking - with a few exceptions, usually when dawn phenomenon has already kicked in before I get up. Like today, restless night, FBG higher than the last few days, but second reading exactly the same.

No solutions and have come to accept it. The FBG helps me to see any damage from the day before - it's usually within a fairly narrow range, so anything out of the ordinary prompts me to review the previous day. So I still find it useful, but not as useful as pre and post meals.