Buzzing feet

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have an appointment with the doctor today. For the last 2 weeks I have felt like there is a mobile phone attached to my feet and someone is calling them. To begin with this was a slight annoyance, but now with every 'buzz' there is painful pins and needles. I have obviously asked Dr Google and it has pointed towards neuropathy, so I am terrified! The thing is, I have been so good! My BG is rarely above 8 and my last HbA1c was the best it has ever been. So what gives? I am type 2. I take 1000mg of Metformin, I am on Linagliptin and Forxiga too. Does anyone else have these symptoms? If so, what was the outcome? I have an evening appointment and I am worried sick!

Last edited:

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It sounds like you are experiencing fasciculation or muscle spasms in the foot. Fasciculation can occur when a muscle is overworked, pulled or used incorrectly. Perhaps the nerve in your foot has been pinched. Foot buzzing can also be brought on by stress or a salt deficiency in your diet.

I found this, not sure if u have seen it.
Ive had something similar but thought nothing of it.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have an appointment with the doctor today.

Diabetes is never straight forward and it's always difficult to know how long a type II was diabetic before diagnosis. Try not to worry to much (I know, easier said than done). Think positive, you've obviously done the right thing by seeing your GP. Early treatment will improve the outcome.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, sorry for the slow reply. The doc said it is the start of neuropathy. I have been a bit upset. He did reassure me and tell me it isn't my fault and that sometimes no matter how good your control is, it can just happen. I have been prescribed 60mg of Duloxetine for two months to see if that will ease the discomfort and I ha e been referred to a podiatrist.

Reactions: Cumberland

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Some people on the forum have reported that when they get their blood glucose under tight control, then they get the sensations of tingling and pins and needles as the nerves recover.

So please do not assume that you are on an inevitable downward spiral.
If you have recently lowered your blood glucose to more normal levels, then the feelings you are getting maybe a good sign.

Obviously, none of us can say whether this is happening to you, but PLEASE do not assume that the sensations you have been experiencing are automatically bad news.

You may find this video by Dr Bernstein interesting (who runs a clinic for Diabetes, and has been treating Type 1s and Type 2s for over 40 years). He advocates tight blood glucose control as both a prevention of neuropathy, and as a way to regenerate the damaged nerves.

Reactions: EveryCloud

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hi all, sorry for the slow reply. The doc said it is the start of neuropathy. I have been a bit upset. He did reassure me and tell me it isn't my fault and that sometimes no matter how good your control is, it can just happen. I have been prescribed 60mg of Duloxetine for two months to see if that will ease the discomfort and I ha e been referred to a podiatrist.

I’m in a similar condition to you

Diabetic neuropathy has been diagnosed by my GP

Started approx 3 months ago and its getting worse not better

Started on Amitriptylene then Duloxatine and yesterday I saw the doctor and he’s put me on Gabapentin

The sensations I feel are pins and needles or it’s like walking on drawing pins with sharp severe pain

Good luck hope your treatment works for you

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Some people on the forum have reported that when they get their blood glucose under tight control, then they get the sensations of tingling and pins and needles as the nerves recover.

So please do not assume that you are on an inevitable downward spiral.
If you have recently lowered your blood glucose to more normal levels, then the feelings you are getting maybe a good sign.

Obviously, none of us can say whether this is happening to you, but PLEASE do not assume that the sensations you have been experiencing are automatically bad news.

You may find this video by Dr Bernstein interesting (who runs a clinic for Diabetes, and has been treating Type 1s and Type 2s for over 40 years). He advocates tight blood glucose control as both a prevention of neuropathy, and as a way to regenerate the damaged nerves.
I will watch this when I get home thanks.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in a similar condition to you

Diabetic neuropathy has been diagnosed by my GP

Started approx 3 months ago and its getting worse not better

Started on Amitriptylene then Duloxatine and yesterday I saw the doctor and he’s put me on Gabapentin

The sensations I feel are pins and needles or it’s like walking on drawing pins with sharp severe pain

Good luck hope your treatment works for you
Thanks. I hope the meds help my feet. I don't think I could cope with any much more pain. I have to walk all day for a living.

Reactions: Cumberland

Firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have an appointment with the doctor today. For the last 2 weeks I have felt like there is a mobile phone attached to my feet and someone is calling them. To begin with this was a slight annoyance, but now with every 'buzz' there is painful pins and needles. I have obviously asked Dr Google and it has pointed towards neuropathy, so I am terrified! The thing is, I have been so good! My BG is rarely above 8 and my last HbA1c was the best it has ever been. So what gives? I am type 2. I take 1000mg of Metformin, I am on Linagliptin and Forxiga too. Does anyone else have these symptoms? If so, what was the outcome? I have an evening appointment and I am worried sick!
Did the buzzing ever resolve for you?