So itchy!

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been getting crazy itchiness on various parts of my body for the last few weeks. Always at night, after I go to bed. I'm in danger of scratching myself to shreds. The back of my head, the lower abdominal area, my calves, lower back... and more randomly, nowhere is off limits.. soles of my feet, sides of my hands, shoulders.. comes and goes in different areas. There's no rash, just this insatiable itchiness. It's been waking me up and I've been scratching in my sleep (to bleeding - evidence on the sheets!). I don't have any allergies that I know of, and nothing has changed except taking metformin, ceasing statins, and adhering to a VLCHF diet. Anyone else experience this? I did suffer eczema as a child and from memory, it's the same kind of crazed insatiable itching. Gentlemen, please stop reading now.

Ladies, I'm 51 and I just got my period after over a year..... weird hormonal stuff going on maybe?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I think the first thing I would do is scrutinise the leaflets that come in each pack of your medications. Is itching and skin reactions mentioned in any of them?

You may have a rare contraindication that only affects one in ten thousand, but it is still something that is making your life a misery!

If nothing listed, you may be having an even rarer reaction, or a food intolerance. It could even have an environmental trigger like washing powder or a household chemical.

Good luck finding out what it is.

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been getting crazy itchiness on various parts of my body for the last few weeks. Always at night, after I go to bed. I'm in danger of scratching myself to shreds. The back of my head, the lower abdominal area, my calves, lower back... and more randomly, nowhere is off limits.. soles of my feet, sides of my hands, shoulders.. comes and goes in different areas. There's no rash, just this insatiable itchiness. It's been waking me up and I've been scratching in my sleep (to bleeding - evidence on the sheets!). I don't have any allergies that I know of, and nothing has changed except taking metformin, ceasing statins, and adhering to a VLCHF diet. Anyone else experience this? I did suffer eczema as a child and from memory, it's the same kind of crazed insatiable itching. Gentlemen, please stop reading now.

Ladies, I'm 51 and I just got my period after over a year..... weird hormonal stuff going on maybe?

Reactions: MrsGruffy

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really really don't want to worry you but having a 'period' after a gap of a year is not good news. Any bleeding that is unexpected from any part of the body could be a sign of something going awry. Please see your doctor as soon as you can and hopefully they will be able to check and reassure you that you are ok. do not leave it until it is too late. Sending you hugs and good wishes. Let me know how you get on.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When taking metformin and a statin I was itching all over - mostly at night, so it could be that, though it was just one of a number of side effects.