Newly diagnosed

Eibor69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed . Had a reading of 98. I have been put on metformin but I am determined to reverse my diabetes. Just educating myself. Any recommendations on the best glucose tester, I’ve noticed they can vary in price quite a bi. Thanks

Reactions: Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed . Had a reading of 98. I have been put on metformin but I am determined to reverse my diabetes. Just educating myself. Any recommendations on the best glucose tester, I’ve noticed they can vary in price quite a bi. Thanks
The TEE2 is free, but alas not the strips to use with it, which cost £7.75 for 50 ex VAT.
You get a useful little carrying case, 10 free strips, 10 free lancets (which will last for ages if, like me, you re-use them) a free lancet gun and free bottles of testing fluid. Customer service is fantastic. You can speak directly to a REAL PERSON 24/7 on a freephone line (0800 881 542 whenever you have a question or if you prefer not to order online. Your order arrives pretty much by return of post. You can have a replacement gun, more batteries and more testing fluid all free. The meter works fast and it only requires a small drop of blood. It supposedly will transfer readings to an app by bluetooth, but only some phones and tablets are suitable. Mine aren't.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Alternatively you can buy a CodeFree meter starter kit for £12.89 here:
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

These two are the meters many of us on this Forum who self-fund use. They have probably the cheapest strips. The advantage of the Codefree is that the strips work out slightly cheaper than for the TEE2 if you buy 50 (£7.69), but much cheaper if you buy in bulk. (To do this you have to put in a special code, available here on the Forum.) One disadvantage is that the Codefree customer service is way inferior to that of the TEE2 and only available during working hours Monday to Friday. This is particularly important if one is new to testing, as it means with the TEE2 one can get advice at any time of the day or night. One's Codefree order arrives much more slowly than the TEE2. So if, like me, you have a tendency to forget to order until you are about to run out, the TEE2 is better. With the Codefree not only do you have to pay for the meter, you also pay for any replacement batteries or testing fluid you may need later.

Don't forget that as a diabetic you don't have to pay VAT. You can sign up for this on the order forms.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s the Code free discount codes for bulk buying strips, if you choose the Code Free:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Brings the price down to £5.98 per pack of 50 if you buy 10 packs.

Reactions: Eibor69

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Have a good read round, and ask loads of questions.

Good luck on your journey :)

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Eibor69

I'm glad that you came here for help. Even I'd the same dream to reverse my diabetes and get back to a life full of food. However, what I learned here is that diabetes can't be reserved, but surely there are ways that can help you in managing the condition. Here are a few people that have managed diabetes so well that now they have slowly started to introduce carbs to their diet again. Here is an example of this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/gradually-introducing-a-few-more-carbs.144692/

Now, talking about the management, You can really get those levels down. I was 62 when i was diagnosed 2 months ago and now I'm 49 and soon it'll get even better. If you are looking for some information, I really love this one for the treatment part: https://zovon.com/health-conditions/diabetes/

I hope this helps you like it did to me. I hope you live a better life!

Reactions: Eibor69 and Prem51

NannyP 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The TEE2 is free, but alas not the strips to use with it, which cost £7.75 for 50 ex VAT.
You get a useful little carrying case, 10 free strips, 10 free lancets (which will last for ages if, like me, you re-use them) a free lancet gun and free bottles of testing fluid. Customer service is fantastic. You can speak directly to a REAL PERSON 24/7 on a freephone line (0800 881 542 whenever you have a question or if you prefer not to order online. Your order arrives pretty much by return of post. You can have a replacement gun, more batteries and more testing fluid all free. The meter works fast and it only requires a small drop of blood. It supposedly will transfer readings to an app by bluetooth, but only some phones and tablets are suitable. Mine aren't.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Alternatively you can buy a CodeFree meter starter kit for £12.89 here:
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

These two are the meters many of us on this Forum who self-fund use. They have probably the cheapest strips. The advantage of the Codefree is that the strips work out slightly cheaper than for the TEE2 if you buy 50 (£7.69), but much cheaper if you buy in bulk. (To do this you have to put in a special code, available here on the Forum.) One disadvantage is that the Codefree customer service is way inferior to that of the TEE2 and only available during working hours Monday to Friday. This is particularly important if one is new to testing, as it means with the TEE2 one can get advice at any time of the day or night. One's Codefree order arrives much more slowly than the TEE2. So if, like me, you have a tendency to forget to order until you are about to run out, the TEE2 is better. With the Codefree not only do you have to pay for the meter, you also pay for any replacement batteries or testing fluid you may need later.

Don't forget that as a diabetic you don't have to pay VAT. You can sign up for this on the order forms.

I agree with Alexander100 in regards to Tee2, I was very surprised to get a carry case, lancets,lancet gun and the testing fluid. I ordered on bank holiday Monday and items were delivered Thursday.

best wishes

Reactions: Eibor69 and Prem51

Eibor69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to you all for replying and thank you for the help. I know I will be diabetic for life and I can never again be carefree about the food I eat but by cutting the carbs along with exercise im hoping to get off the meds and keep my glucose levels to near normal, for now at least, I don’t know if this is possible for me yet but I’m going to give it the most effort I have ever made in my life for my life for my kids. Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are one of the lucky ones then by going low carb your metabolism will get back into balance again, and the meter will help as some people car tolerate some foods better than others - porridge oats are one of those as some people can eat them with barely a flicker on the meter and others go stratospheric just hearing a Scottish accent.
If you can get back into the normal range - I saw that at 6 months from diagnosis, then things seem to settle down nicely.
I have found that if I were to convert my Hba1c number into years, that is about how old I feel these days.

Eibor69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat porridge every morning best get a meter fast. My Hba1c was 98 with a fasting test at 13. I would love to get my Hba1c down to my age 48.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just over a yar ago I was diagnosed with a Hbc1a of 97 , within 4 months I was down in the 30's and nearly 3 stone lighter thankfully still in the 30's and almost 5 stone lighter
Simple really, no beer ( for 6months) , no rice, no bread, no pasta certainly no weetabix or shredded wheat ( tried some the other wek and my BG shot up to 9 almost immediatly) Biggest problem I found was fruit , I used to eat masses of fruit, now I have the odd orange or apple . Breakfst is usually yogurt and rasberries or strawberries which I enjoy
I can eat a nan these days without too much of a rise and a few small boiled potatoes with skins.
One thing I found out within a month of being diagnosed , red wine and gin and slimline tonic do no harm. A little bright spot in my journey.
Best of luck on your journey, it's not that hard, honestly.