Type 1 daughter is she entitled to any benefits ?

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter who is 18 and a type 1 on multiple daily injections but suffers terribly from tiredness and lack of go, but she holds down a full time job, any advice cheers folks

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 diabetes alone does not entitle you to any benefits. If you have complications like blindness you may qualify because of that but not type 1 alone.

D

Deleted Account

I would suggest investigating why she is tired - having type 1 alone should not result in lack of energy as Steve Redgrave showed.
OK, not everyone has the energy of an Olympic rower but I have not found diabetes zaps my get up and go.

It may be because she is struggling to control her BG or it may be a symptom of something else. Definitely worth discussing with her healthcare team.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do T1s still get free prescriptions for all illnesses? I guess that's a benefit, (albeit one you'd much rather not need to have....)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I doubt just for being type1. You say your daughter holds down a full time job so I take it as she just gas the tiredness.
I suggest she mentions to her gp about that

Reactions: spyda410

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suggest investigating why she is tired - having type 1 alone should not result in lack of energy as Steve Redgrave showed.
OK, not everyone has the energy of an Olympic rower

He's a T2 you know! He had to use insulin for his body to handle the food needed for him to compete.

Reactions: Hawkey

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do T1s still get free prescriptions for all illnesses? I guess that's a benefit, (albeit one you'd much rather not need to have....)
I would assume so. I'm a medically controlled type 2 so I qualify for free prescriptions. Ask your healthcare team, if so they can give you a form to complete and send away. If you are, and send the form off it can take about a month to get your exemption certificate so in the meantime when getting prescriptions ask for a receipt that will allow you to claim back any money spent on prescriptions.

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
I believe the only benefits we get are free presriptions, though I'm not complaining about that!

I've had type one for 11 years, tried to claim some help based on retinopathy (loss of vision in my left eye), neuropathy, depression and not being hypo aware, but unfortunately denied for everything.

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unfortunately, I’ve been unsuccessful with my application for PIP so prescriptions is all we get long term. However, if she’s planning to go to uni, look into a disabled student allowance. I got given a bunch of stuff to help me keep up on bad days including reimbursement for printer ink, a dictor phone to record lectures and some software to help with revision.