HbA1c results are in

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rang the doctors today and the result is 54 mmol, so I guess that's it, I am officially diabetic. Could the results be that way because I have gorged over the last few months on the bad stuff. I only ask because it does say that if I am symptom free that they should consider a glucose test in a couple of weeks. (Really clutching at straws here). The diabetic nurse is supposed to call me on Monday but I don't know what the next steps are.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hba1c gives an average of the last 3 months blood glucose values so a few months of a poor diet ( in blood sugar terms) will give a higher result but your metabolism essentially needs to be compromised and in trouble for that to happen - people with non compromised metabolisms can gorge on sugary foods and show no elevation in their hba1c , at least not initially.. Once you are in diabetic territory your metabolism will always struggle to process high sugar / high carbohydrate foods. Following a reduced carbohydrate diet can control blood sugars and therefore diabetes, sometimes with the addition of medication sometimes not. Losing a significant amount of weight ( google Newcastle diet) can also significantly improve control of diabetes.
Some will say both approaches can ‘ reverse’ diabetes, others will argue that they just control diabetes but to my mind thats pointless semantics - both approaches will give good control of diabetes that will be lost if the approach is subsequently abandoned and old eating habits resumed

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are clutching at straws. Because you have no symptoms means nothing. Many don't. I didn't. The diagnosis was a complete surprise to me as I felt really well. If you have the glucose test that should confirm matters, but you know what happened on your home made Lucozade test, and your subsequent testing. It is probably time to come out of denial ;)

Reactions: kazd63 and flexi06

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no prior symptoms going into my test, like you I was in denial I kept telling myself it was a false positive but it wasnt. It's not so bad, now you just have to make the effort to eat better and move around more.

I wish you the best in your management and care

Reactions: Prem51

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no prior symptoms going into my test, like you I was in denial I kept telling myself it was a false positive but it wasnt. It's not so bad, now you just have to make the effort to eat better and move around more.

I wish you the best in your management and care

You can reverse it.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rang the doctors today and the result is 54 mmol, so I guess that's it, I am officially diabetic. Could the results be that way because I have gorged over the last few months on the bad stuff. I only ask because it does say that if I am symptom free that they should consider a glucose test in a couple of weeks. (Really clutching at straws here). The diabetic nurse is supposed to call me on Monday but I don't know what the next steps are.
If that was your first HbA1c test you would usually be tested again after 3 months to confirm diagnosis.
When you see the dn you will be given some advice about diet, your feet will be tested for neuropathy, and advised to keep your feet moisturised. You will probably be weighed and have your blood pressure taken.
You will be referred for retinopathy test, and you might be asked if you want to be referred for a diabetes education course.

I'm afraid that you are clutching at straws. I was in denial when I was first diagnosed, especially as I had lowered my HbA1c to pre-diabetic level by my 3 month retest, and then to non-diabetic level at the next 12 month test. But I know that I am diabetic and have to be careful about what I eat if I want to avoid complications.
I didn't have any symptoms too, I still don't and I know I have to take care if I want to keep it like that.

lindisfel

Expert
I hope it's just an anomaly Kazd but they usually do another hba1c after two weeks to confirm or reject the first reading. Being good for the two weeks is not likely to make much difference!:) They will have all your other parameters as well.
regards
Derek

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the weight is coming off, 6lb so far but sugars are up and down, this morning I was 9.2 after sleep, although I did not test myself until a couple of hours after I woke up. Then tested myself a couple of hours later before breakfast after getting up and moving around and it was 8.3. Only managed about 7,300 steps yesterday and some of them were walked after midnight from the previous day coming back from the pub (Water for me). I was also quite surprised at my readings last night, 5.3 before dinner of Steak, Yellow Pepper and Red Onion sautéed in olive oil with creamed spinach. I know the creamed spinach had some carbs in it but negligble really over the course of the day. I did have a couple of teaspoons of mustard that I bought in a restaurant in Norfolk, so no nutrition label. Brunch was an omelette with onions, peppers, ham, a few new potatoes sliced and a little cheese grated on the top. No beans this time as a little too carbs although I have now ordered some reduced sugar beans.
The readings for lunch before and after the omelette were 7.7 before, 6.7 two hours later. Just don't get it.

Update: Have just tested myself after breakfast of raspberries, strawberries and double cream, test before breakfast was 8.3 and two hours later is still high at 8.2. I thought swapping 1/2 fat creme fraiche (which is fractionally higher in carbs than full fat creme fraiche) plus a strawberry light and free yogurt for double cream with a trace of carbs would be better. The whole dish was only 7 carbs and approx 168 kcal, 14 fat.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: Have just tested myself after breakfast of raspberries, strawberries and double cream, test before breakfast was 8.3 and two hours later is still high at 8.2. I thought swapping 1/2 fat creme fraiche (which is fractionally higher in carbs than full fat creme fraiche) plus a strawberry light and free yogurt for double cream with a trace of carbs would be better. The whole dish was only 7 carbs and approx 168 kcal, 14 fat.
You are complaining and blaming the meal, but your reading 2 hours after it was actually lower than before, so the only problem there is your fasting bg, which is a little high. It would be a good idea next time to test the same meal after 2 and then 3 hours, to make sure there was not a later rise, but otherwise your new breakfast is a great success!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well the weight is coming off, 6lb so far but sugars are up and down, this morning I was 9.2 after sleep, although I did not test myself until a couple of hours after I woke up. Then tested myself a couple of hours later before breakfast after getting up and moving around and it was 8.3.
Did you test 2 hours after your dinner the night before? And what time did you eat? It will be easier to see a pattern when you have been regularly testing for a few days. Meanwhile, I would temporarily ditch the potatoes and the creamed spinach (I'm assuming this is bought ready prepared?) and see if that helps. You could cook your own spinach from raw. Just wash it then wilt it for a few moments in a pan with with butter / olive oil and top with grated cheese + salt & pepper. Or you could eat baby spinach raw as a salad maybe with Hellman's Real mayonnaise (the lowest carb ready made one, and IMO delicious).

Congratulations on the weight loss. For the bg, just keep on reducing the carbs and replacing them with fats and protein, you'll get there!

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test 2 hours after your dinner the night before? And what time did you eat? It will be easier to see a pattern when you have been regularly testing for a few days. Meanwhile, I would temporarily ditch the potatoes and the creamed spinach (I'm assuming this is bought ready prepared?) and see if that helps. You could cook your own spinach from raw. Just wash it then wilt it for a few moments in a pan with with butter / olive oil and top with grated cheese + salt & pepper. Or you could eat baby spinach raw as a salad maybe with Hellman's Real mayonnaise (the lowest carb ready made one, and IMO delicious).

Congratulations on the weight loss. For the bg, just keep on reducing the carbs and replacing them with fats and protein, you'll get there!

Creamed spinach was homemade, does contain flour probably about 4 tbsp for the whole recipe which was divided into about 6 portions, 900g bag of spinach. I am testing 2 hours from when I first eat, not from when finished. I have been testing a couple of weeks now. Off for a walk now, just had an omelette and the reduced sugar beans, half pot.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Creamed spinach was homemade
Brilliant! Sorry for assuming that you just bought the spinach ready-made. Statistically that was the most likely! But if you are already cooking from scratch, that will make controlling your bg SO much easier to achieve. I'm not at all sure about those beans. But time and testing will tell. For many of us, just plain beans are already too full of carbs, let alone with a sauce, even sugar reduced.

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! Sorry for assuming that you just bought the spinach ready-made. Statistically that was the most likely! But if you are already cooking from scratch, that will make controlling your bg SO much easier to achieve. I'm not at all sure about those beans. But time and testing will tell. For many of us, just plain beans are already too full of carbs, let alone with a sauce, even sugar reduced.

I know, I wasn't sure myself but my sugars were 6.6 @ 12:44pm and two hours later after a 45 minute walk they were 6.1 @ 14:43, so am guessing the beans were okay for me. Although probably keep them to a minimum as they were 11g of carbs for my 100g portion.

Reactions: Prem51