Low carb diet type 1 diabetic and exercise

MStreet89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, new to the forums, I’ve not posted before but I do read a few topics.
I’ve been running since late October and “coping” by eating a high carb meal 1-2 hours before and having little or no insulin for it. 40g carbs with no insulin would put my bloods up and I’d set off when my blood sugar was over 11 mmol/L. I’ve gotten to a stage with my running where I can do 10k comfortably and often I’d finish with my blood sugar within range.
2 weeks ago, to complicate things, I’ve started a low carb diet after reading Adam Brown’s bright spots and land mines and I’m managing to control my blood sugars a lot better now and I actually enjoy (in a weird way) my diabetes. Having removed the variable of carbs to what effects my bloods, I know feel I have a lot more control and it’s kind of a fun challenge getting it right.

However, I’m struggling with my running. It’s something I can’t and don’t want to give up for all sorts of reasons. Now that my 40g minimum of carbs pre run is out of the occasion, what is the best practice?

Reducing basal rate an hour before? (If so, by how much?)
Or do I eat carbs just for exercise to raise my blood sugar? (If so, how much?)

I’m on a freestyle libre and it’s not always accurate (sometimes get readings 3-5mmol/L higher than they actually are) but currently this sensor is. I’m happy to scan that as it’s quick and doesn’t slow me down much, doing a finger prick test requires me to stop - what do others on here do?

Also when you have a reading, depending on what it is, do you stop and eat (what?) or do you keep running and eat glucose tablets? (How many?)

Thanks for the help and apologies if this sort of topic gets asked a lot and I’ve asked so many questions in one post - I’ve done a few searches and couldn’t see anything recent (plus they weren’t 100% specific to me)

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow 10km is very good, I wish I could!! When you say you struggle do you mean you feel out of energy or you have a hypo?

I'm type 1 on low carb diet. I run 4km regularly but I make sure I run before meal when I have no fast acting insulin in my body. My bs then tend to be stable or go up a bit after running but never down. In the past I experienced a hypo running after meal so I now avoid running after meal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MStreet89

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, new to the forums, I’ve not posted before but I do read a few topics.
I’ve been running since late October and “coping” by eating a high carb meal 1-2 hours before and having little or no insulin for it. 40g carbs with no insulin would put my bloods up and I’d set off when my blood sugar was over 11 mmol/L. I’ve gotten to a stage with my running where I can do 10k comfortably and often I’d finish with my blood sugar within range.
2 weeks ago, to complicate things, I’ve started a low carb diet after reading Adam Brown’s bright spots and land mines and I’m managing to control my blood sugars a lot better now and I actually enjoy (in a weird way) my diabetes. Having removed the variable of carbs to what effects my bloods, I know feel I have a lot more control and it’s kind of a fun challenge getting it right.

However, I’m struggling with my running. It’s something I can’t and don’t want to give up for all sorts of reasons. Now that my 40g minimum of carbs pre run is out of the occasion, what is the best practice?

Reducing basal rate an hour before? (If so, by how much?)
Or do I eat carbs just for exercise to raise my blood sugar? (If so, how much?)

I’m on a freestyle libre and it’s not always accurate (sometimes get readings 3-5mmol/L higher than they actually are) but currently this sensor is. I’m happy to scan that as it’s quick and doesn’t slow me down much, doing a finger prick test requires me to stop - what do others on here do?

Also when you have a reading, depending on what it is, do you stop and eat (what?) or do you keep running and eat glucose tablets? (How many?)

Thanks for the help and apologies if this sort of topic gets asked a lot and I’ve asked so many questions in one post - I’ve done a few searches and couldn’t see anything recent (plus they weren’t 100% specific to me)

Hi there @MStreet89 - Welcome to the forum.

This chap, as you can see, reading his profile is T1, keto and a runner. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/contributors/dr-ian-lake/ . I'll try to find a link to his blog, but at this moment, it escapes me.

Edited to add, this link isn't specifically about exercise, so I'll dig a bit: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/ian-lake-normal-glucose-type-1/

Reactions: MStreet89

MStreet89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow 10km is very good, I wish I could!! When you say you struggle do you mean you feel out of energy or you have a hypo?

I'm type 1 on low carb diet. I run 4km regularly but I make sure I run before meal when I have no fast acting insulin in my body. My bs then tend to be stable or go up a bit after running but never down. In the past I experienced a hypo running after meal so I now avoid running after meal.

It’s taken me a few months to get to 10k. I just go steady, it’s not about speed - time on your feet.

When I say I’ve struggled it’s with just taking glucose tablets on the last run when I started at around 8.8. I ended up eating a full pack of glucose tablets.

Having said that, I did have a correction bolus an hour or 2 prior that I think was way off so your advice of eating and insulin in general is helpful as I think that was a major factor in my hypos.

Reactions: mytype1.life

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi MStreet89
Before taking advice from Dr Ian Lake on running, I recommend you look at what his running performance is like on LC. I have read many posts by him without seeing any results. Given how many older T1s get Parkrun age-grades in the high 70s and above, I personally would not take advice from anyone running a lot below that.
Successful T1 runners eat more carb than many people would have you believe.

Reactions: gemma_T1

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s taken me a few months to get to 10k. I just go steady, it’s not about speed - time on your feet.

When I say I’ve struggled it’s with just taking glucose tablets on the last run when I started at around 8.8. I ended up eating a full pack of glucose tablets.

Having said that, I did have a correction bolus an hour or 2 prior that I think was way off so your advice of eating and insulin in general is helpful as I think that was a major factor in my hypos.

Hello!
I’ve just posted something very similar before I read this. I’m also looking for advice but a few tips from me:
- try to avoid having any insulin on board when you run
- reduce your basal rate 1.5-2 hours before (% will vary from person to person)
- take on board slow releasing carbs 1-1.5 hours before (i haven’t tried this but will do soon).
How did you find your sugars the next day? I was running so much lower and had to keep ‘grazing’ in between meals which I wouldn’t normally need to do or get away with!

Hope this helps.
Happy running :)

Reactions: gemma_T1