1 month progress and Metformin decisions.

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening everyone.

Today marks 4 weeks since the nurse told me I had a HBA1c of 105mmol.

In those 4 weeks I have gone LCHF (no meds) and have upped my exercise to 40mins every morning (cross trainer or swimming). MySugr now has my predicted HBA1C as 54mmol which I am pleased with at this point.

I think I am addicted to finger prick testing. My post meal readings are always the same as before I’ve eaten, but I’m still having issues with my morning/before bed readings.

4 weeks ago
Fasting 12.2
Before breakfast 14.4
After breakfast 11.0
Before lunch 9.4
After lunch 9.0
Before dinner 9.3
After dinner 12.4
Before bed 12.5

Yesterday
Fasting 9.0
Before breakfast 8.4
After breakfast (and gym)8.4
Before lunch 7.8
After lunch 6.9
Before dinner 6.4
After dinner 6.3
Before bed 7.6

I’m so happy to see these numbers decrease and am confident that if I carry on in this manner, I will be able to get into non diabetic territory. However, I have a Metformin script sitting in my bedside cabinet and I can’t decide whether to start taking it or carry on with diet and exercise.

My main reasons to start taking it would be to help with the dawn effect and liver dump, and to get my sugars under control quicker (hubby and I have been trying to start a family for 2 years with no luck....fertility testing is what identified the diabetes. Until sugars are under control we have put our plans for a family on hold...and at 32 i feel as though time is not in my side)

My main reasons for not taking it are concern over side effects and a desire to beat the diabeetles on my own.

Does anyone have any Metformin experience they would be willing to share with me? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you

A happy and determined strong girls club.!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took Metformin as soon as I was diagnosed. I started on 500mg/day the first week, then upped by one tablet a week til I reached 3 per day. I started low carb eating at the same time and over the first four weeks my averages dropped slightly each week. I’d say that the diet had more effect than the drug, however although I’m looking to reduce my dose to two per day at my next review I’m happy to stay on it for it’s numerous other benefits. Have you read this?
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01
BTW, I wasn’t diabetic when I had my kids but I had my son aged 34 and my daughter aged 37
EDIT to add I got side effects from Metformin for about a week but have absolutely no side effects now.

Reactions: Allanmax

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My main reasons for not taking it are concern over side effects and a desire to beat the diabeetles on my own.

Does anyone have any Metformin experience they would be willing to share with me? What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Taking Metformin doesn't have to be a once for all lifetime decision. It is not addictive and there is not a rebound effect if you take it and then stop, though of course your bg will after a short time go back to whatever it would be without the help of the med.

I am very happy currently to be taking 2g Glucophage XR (extended release) daily. On top of a very low carb diet it has helped me reach almost normal bgs. Before taking it I was getting very discouraged because I was making a lot of sacrifices in my diet but still not getting the readings I wanted on my meter. However my understanding is that Metformin can only lower bg by maybe 2.75 mmol/ (49.5 mg/dl) That made a big difference for me because my bg was already not so very high.

IMO the important thing is to lower bg to non-harmful levels. The rewards for that are huge in terms of heart attacks not suffered, feet not cut off etc etc. There are no medals for heroically doing everything by diet and exercise, and refusing all help.

Some research suggests that taking Metformin early is more effective in staving off diabetes than waiting til later.

You might feel inspired by this article: http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took Metformin as soon as I was diagnosed. I started on 500mg/day the first week, then upped by one tablet a week til I reached 3 per day. I started low carb eating at the same time and over the first four weeks my averages dropped slightly each week. I’d say that the diet had more effect than the drug, however although I’m looking to reduce my dose to two per day at my next review I’m happy to stay on it for it’s numerous other benefits. Have you read this?
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01
BTW, I wasn’t diabetic when I had my kids but I had my son aged 34 and my daughter aged 37
EDIT to add I got side effects from Metformin for about a week but have absolutely no side effects now.

Thanks for replying Rachox, I really appreciate it, and that article is very interesting.

When you first started Metformin, when did you take it? I’ve heard mixed information but am tempted to take it before bed.

Thank you x

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Taking Metformin doesn't have to be a once for all lifetime decision. It is not addictive and there is not a rebound effect if you take it and then stop, though of course your bg will after a short time go back to whatever it would be without the help of the med.

I am very happy currently to be taking 2g Glucophage XR (extended release) daily. On top of a very low carb diet it has helped me reach almost normal bgs. Before taking it I was getting very discouraged because I was making a lot of sacrifices in my diet but still not getting the readings I wanted on my meter. However my understanding is that Metformin can only lower bg by maybe 2.75 mmol/L. That made a big difference for me because my bg was already not so very high.

IMO the important thing is to lower bg to non-harmful levels. The rewards for that are huge in terms of heart attacks not suffered, feet not cut off etc etc. There are no medals for heroically doing everything by diet and exercise, and refusing all help.

Some research suggests that taking Metformin early is more effective in staving off diabetes than waiting til later.

You might feel inspired by this article: http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

You speak so much sense. When you put it like this, it seems like an absolute no brainier doesn’t it!

Reactions: JMcB

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying Rachox, I really appreciate it, and that article is very interesting.

When you first started Metformin, when did you take it? I’ve heard mixed information but am tempted to take it before bed.

Thank you x

I don’t think the timing makes a huge difference. I was taking one at breakfast, one after lunch and one at night, but I found the lunchtime one inconvenient and likely to be forgotten. My GP suggested taking two at breakfast and one at dinner, that’s what I do now and it didn’t seem to make any difference to my readings. Just be sure to take it with food.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you first started Metformin, when did you take it?
To avoid the notorious digestive upsets that can put people right off Metformin, it is advisable to start with the lowest possible dose. Having been inspired by David Mendosa's article, I would have liked to start with just 250g, but that would have meant cutting a 500mg pill in half, which just seemed too difficult. I do always take my Metformin pills with food to minimise digestive problems. So I started with 500mg, which probably made no difference to my bgs. After a few weeks I increased to 500mg x 2, so morning and evening. Then after a few more weeks, increased to 500mg x 3, so added one pill at lunch-time. By now it was making a difference, but not as much as I wanted Taking a pill at lunch-time was awkward and risked being forgotten. Finally I persuaded my GP to give me Glucophage XR and I take 1g with breakfast and dinner. The difference is very noticeable. Since the 2nd May my fasting bgs have been ALWAYS normal ie 5 or under (90 in your money!) I never thought I'd see that, and it has encouraged me to be really careful with my carbs.

It is usually said that Metformin doesn't make much / any difference until the dose rises to 1500mg, hence the fact that many people don't think it works at all. But I can't emphasise enough that Metformin won't work alone. IMO a low carb diet will do far more for you. It just doesn't have to be a choice.

Reactions: dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If it was me I would hold off on the Metformin until my next HbA1c (assuming that your will be in a couple of months). This would allow you to see exactly what the diet and excercise is doing for your health. If by then you are still trying to lower your fasting readings then you can try the Metformin to aid the liver.
I take 3 per day with food (one in the am and two in the pm) as this is what my dn suggested and have never had a moment's trouble with it. I was originally on 4 per day. Next review, whether the dn likes it or not, I will be lowering that to 2 per day. The only reason I would like to come off them completely is that I feel I may be over medicated and wish to cut dosages or cut completely the amount of medications (for non Diabetes related conditions) that I am taking.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many of us take Metformin; I have for 15 years now. It is a very safe drug and for most the only side effects can be bowel issues with the non-SR version and lack of appetite and change of taste/metallic taste for a while. It never has much effect so not vital for many who can control the diet well and suffer side effects.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Stronggirlsclub
I take 1g of slow release metformin each night just after eating. Have had zero side effects so far after nearly three years. Those numbers will come down. For me it took about 3 months but we're all different. Then you will notice changes between pre and post eating. Metformin doesn't have a huge impact on high numbers. It works by moderating the glucose release from our livers. It doesn't in any great way, compensate for what we decide to put in our guts. That's purely vigilance and discipline diet wise.
Have fun,
Glenn

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
Fasting 9.0
Before breakfast 8.4
After breakfast (and gym)8.4
Before lunch 7.8
After lunch 6.9
Before dinner 6.4
After dinner 6.3
Before bed 7.6

I had similar results initially...I simply started intermittent fasting by skipping a couple of dinners and that brought the fasting BG to 5.5 mmol. Metformin was not needed...

Reactions: Petaluk

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been diagnosed about 5 weeks now. Was put on metaformin from day one. 500mg in mornings for a week, then upped to 2 tablets a day for 3 weeks one in morning and one tea time, now its 3. morning, the middle one is shift dependent because of different dinner times and evening, I've had no side effects at all and I'm sure it's because of the build up over the month, well for me anyway. With the met and diet, exercise I'm happy to do both. It seems to be working just fine and the weight is going down, so all good. I would take the metaformin. Take all the help you can.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you are absolutely sure that you do not get the usual side effects with Metformin - do not take it before bed.
I managed to take a single tablet for a while, then took two. A few days later I risked taking another two.
Then I threw them away.
I did not dare leave the house after taking a tablet - I was fasting until midday so I could go out at all. I did not dare pick up anything heavy. I was sleeping with two towels wrapped around me, changing the sheets almost every day - and I bought a professional Vax machine as the one I had could not cope.
If I ever begin to think about relaxing the carbs a bit - which my meter shows might be possible, just the idea that it might give my doctor the opportunity to insist I try them again for my own good is enough to make me think otherwise.