Funny feelin in the back

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Gas anyone ever got what feels like an itchy rash on their shoulder blades . I’ve been feelin this for about 3 weeks now . It feels like a rash but under the skin and kinda Numby . There’s no rash or any sign of anything on the surface but sometimes it gets quite sore in an itchy way

Reactions: Freema

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could it be shingles?
Don’t know . I thought shingles was around yer stomach . This is just at the bottom of my left shoulder blade . Don’t know much about shingles I’ll gave to do the google . Cheers for suggesting it

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes go through periods, a couple of weeks, where I just want to rip my back off, tends to be lower than shoulder blades and downwards along the spine.... not an area I can get to easily... Mrs Hj says there's nothing there to see... and then it goes away... and then comes back... it's not great. Never tried to get a doc to see it... life it is too short to worry about getting an appointment.
Hope yours clears off.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've had a persistant itch on my left shoulder blade for at least 5 years, just in a place I can't quite reach. (If I get my husband to scratch it it feels glorious, almost as good as other activities that I might do with him :)). There's no rash, or tingling, and it's not painful, so I just live with it. It's really annoying, though.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My back gets very itchy sometimes.. my skin is dry and it helps if I moisturise daily. I also keep a very effective back scratcher near my chair :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it be a fungi infektion I had that initially when being diagnosed with diabetes , I Think I Got it because my PH value was changed by the High blood glucose and rapid lowering , I had it around my armpits but many do get it on their back and are NOT able to see it then , but well that would leave some red spots/ areas after a while

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you get a family member to check for redness? If there is, a doc appt seems a good idea.

As for back scratching, I have a designated ruler. One of those Perspex school ones. 30 cm. works like a charm. Mr B laughs at me for it, but all I can say is that he obviously lacks empathy. A good back scratch is heavenly.

Absxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have the itchy back thing I was told by a GPsR in dermatology that it’s because the bacteria that lives on your skin becomes more prevalent when sugars are high. Why it’s mainly my back I don’t know, but I feel it’s true in my case as it does go in cycles with my blood sugars.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Nope defo not shingles . No rash no blisters
Hi. You don't always get a rash with shingles. It is caused by a virus that persists in your nerves and causes symptoms along major nerve paths, which are circumferential around the body. The shoulder blades and stomach are typical places you can get it, but eyes, ears etc can also be affected. I had a long investigation for numbness and pains in my back, involving a heart consultant and various scans. Then a very mild shingles rash turned up! I still get the numbness, tingles and pain, but no rash.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions . I think I’ll bring it up at next docs appt . I’m due one for HbA1c results . See what he says it’s drivin me mad . In a sore itchy tingly way . I think it’s a touch of neuropathy but I don’t think my bloods are high enough for that

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Peadair O Brionn I don't know if you are a laborer or work out to the point of breaking a sweat?? It could be that with working up a sweat you are reacting to the sweat drying on your skin.....sounds odd, I know, but the Hubby experiences it and that is the only thing we can figure out - hard to be wiping your back when digging! Some people also find that the shampoo they use can irritate their back if they don't rinse their back off thoroughly....have you changed products lately?
(It is indeed very annoying for the Hubby as he is sure there is something on his back - between the shoulder blades and I can't see anything!!) I will also put a thin smear of cortisone cream on the area if he is really suffering and it seems to be a relief.....Hope it abates soon! L

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey @Peadair O Brionn I don't know if you are a laborer or work out to the point of breaking a sweat?? It could be that with working up a sweat you are reacting to the sweat drying on your skin.....sounds odd, I know, but the Hubby experiences it and that is the only thing we can figure out - hard to be wiping your back when digging! Some people also find that the shampoo they use can irritate their back if they don't rinse their back off thoroughly....have you changed products lately?
(It is indeed very annoying for the Hubby as he is sure there is something on his back - between the shoulder blades and I can't see anything!!) I will also put a thin smear of cortisone cream on the area if he is really suffering and it seems to be a relief.....Hope it abates soon! L

Thanks I’ll try the cortisone cream see what happens

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gas anyone ever got what feels like an itchy rash on their shoulder blades . I’ve been feelin this for about 3 weeks now . It feels like a rash but under the skin and kinda Numby . There’s no rash or any sign of anything on the surface but sometimes it gets quite sore in an itchy way
If it's one side more than the other and always in the same place, it could be coming from your neck. If the nerve gets pinched or irritated where it exits the spine it can cause pain in that area and also tingling and a feeling of ants crawling? I would see your doctor if it persists.