Can I become a commercial Airline pilot with Type 1 Diabetes

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I am turning 18 in the near future and have had T1D for nearly 4 years. I am looking to start flight training soon through the Private Pilots License and ultimately become a Commercial Pilot in the future. My question is, can I become a Commercial Pilot if I have T1D. I understand that this article: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_u...-diabetes-allowed-to-fly-commercial-aircraft/ says pilots with diabetes allowed to fly commercial aircraft, however does this mean that if you are a pilot and hold a license and you develop T1D while you hold your license that you can go back into commercial operations or does it mean that anyone with T1D can become a commercial pilot and fly commercial aircraft? @ScottyD
No you cannot. No one knows what will be happening to your BS levels.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,

I have been working in the aviation business for a long time and it is country/airline related. It depends on the laws regarding diabetes pilots. You need solid proof that you are well controlled and can stand the time zone crossing. But if you can proof that together with your care team go for it and dont let anyone steal the cheese from your sandwich. These days you have a professional cycle team were the members are all living with type 1. They have proven that the sky has no limit if you are determined enough. So knock'em dead kiddo;)

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had my 6 monthly check-up with the Civil Aviation Authority earlier in the week.

I'm good to fly for another 6 months!

• We now have over 30,000 flying hours built up from pilots with diabetes. A research paper has just been published and released to the medical world.
  • Austria has joined the UK and Ireland in allowing insulin dependant pilots to fly.
  • A new system is being introduced to allow all our data to be easily accessed and quickly generate reports (UK Aviation Authority seemingly being very pro active).
  • A trial could be under way very soon in which pilots like myself using the Libre and other CGMS/Flashing glucose monitoring systems will take our usual blood sample from a finger prick but also at the same time, take a reading from the CGMS reader and make a direct comparison. Should the trial be successful, blood testing could be satisfied using CGMS. That's still very early days but it's a proposal for the future.
The above might be a little bit of interest to some of you.

LeoH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my 6 monthly check-up with the Civil Aviation Authority earlier in the week.

I'm good to fly for another 6 months!

• We now have over 30,000 flying hours built up from pilots with diabetes. A research paper has just been published and released to the medical world.
  • Austria has joined the UK and Ireland in allowing insulin dependant pilots to fly.
  • A new system is being introduced to allow all our data to be easily accessed and quickly generate reports (UK Aviation Authority seemingly being very pro active).
  • A trial could be under way very soon in which pilots like myself using the Libre and other CGMS/Flashing glucose monitoring systems will take our usual blood sample from a finger prick but also at the same time, take a reading from the CGMS reader and make a direct comparison. Should the trial be successful, blood testing could be satisfied using CGMS. That's still very early days but it's a proposal for the future.
The above might be a little bit of interest to some of you.

Hey Scotty! Glad to hear that it is possible for type 1 diabetics to be commercial airline pilots. I have had hard times since becoming a pilot has always been my dream and still is. I am currently 25y old male and I have had T1D for 23years now and I live in Finland. I reached out Finnair and some medical authors back when I was 18 to check if it's possible but unfortunately it does require some changes to aviation law before it's possible in here.

Now that I saw this post I am motivated to look more options. I really don't have anything that keeps me here if I only know that I can make my dreams come true in somewhere else. Do you know if it's possible for me to try and contact for example CAA or other authorities to start the rumble? Or is it even possible for me to take the medical exams since I live in Finland? It requires lots of work and I have to contact several different authors before I make any decisions but this post truly inspired me once again and I really am ready to do everything I can to make my dreams come true. Thank you for these great news!

Best Regards,
Leo

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

Unfortunately you are not allowed to do any jobs that stop you managing your diabetes like being a bus driver or a Police officer. Unfortunately the job you are after stops diabetes management which means you are not allowed to do that job.

Hope this helps and sorry for ruining your dreams but it’s true.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @22nw22 - this is incorrect information, yes there are commercial pilots with type 1, it involves strict control yes, we have a commercial pilot who posts on the forum @ScottyD who will happily vouch for this.

In regards to other job roles then it depends on the employer but as a rule of thumb to comply with DVLA you have to test every 2 hours if driving a vehicle, but it shouldn't prohibit you from doing any job.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

Unfortunately you are not allowed to do any jobs that stop you managing your diabetes like being a bus driver or a Police officer. Unfortunately the job you are after stops diabetes management which means you are not allowed to do that job.

Hello.

Sorry but you are wrong and I am living proof.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @22nw22 - this is incorrect information, yes there are commercial pilots with type 1, it involves strict control yes, we have a commercial pilot who posts on the forum @ScottyD who will happily vouch for this.

In regards to other job roles then it depends on the employer but as a rule of thumb to comply with DVLA you have to test every 2 hours if driving a vehicle, but it shouldn't prohibit you from doing any job.
But I think loads of jobs you can do I think things like Paramedic and Police will stop you managing your diabetes at least if you're the driver of that emergency vehicle.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Scotty! Glad to hear that it is possible for type 1 diabetics to be commercial airline pilots. I have had hard times since becoming a pilot has always been my dream and still is. I am currently 25y old male and I have had T1D for 23years now and I live in Finland. I reached out Finnair and some medical authors back when I was 18 to check if it's possible but unfortunately it does require some changes to aviation law before it's possible in here.

Now that I saw this post I am motivated to look more options. I really don't have anything that keeps me here if I only know that I can make my dreams come true in somewhere else. Do you know if it's possible for me to try and contact for example CAA or other authorities to start the rumble? Or is it even possible for me to take the medical exams since I live in Finland? It requires lots of work and I have to contact several different authors before I make any decisions but this post truly inspired me once again and I really am ready to do everything I can to make my dreams come true. Thank you for these great news!

Best Regards,
Leo

Sorry for the delay! I replied to your PM!