Flexlink Plus bent cannula - design fault?

WendyNicole

After repeated instances of bent cannulas and occlusion warnings on the FlexLink Plus system, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed that the direction of the kink in the cannula on removing it is always (more or less) the same and is possibly related to the spring-loaded mechanism which locks the needle out of the way when it is removed?

I have had 3 of these just today, and looking at the way the system works I am wondering if this is a design flaw. As the needle flips 90' as soon as it is removed from the body, no matter how quickly you do this, part of the needle will still be in the end of the cannula when this happens, possibly causing a kink. Anyone care to comment?

Hazza

Hi Wendy and welcome,
We have had several bent cannulas as have others on here. We eventually starded to use the Rapid D Links on the advice of other members on the forum, and have had no problems since.
We are fairly new to pumping but it is going well now and hopefully will remain that way, but, these things are so unpredictable.
I would give Roche a ring and complain, as we did, and ask them for some samples as an alternative to try out. They sent us a box of Rapid D, free of charge. They go in easily but don't have an inserter, you just push them in, all quite simple really. Just remember to prime the cannula before inserting.

Hope you get sorted soon, the more people that complain the more likely they are to sort it out.

Harry

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too, I had many occlusions and bent cannulas and gave up using them. I complained to Roches as I thought it was every time I was doing a set change and not the whole combined tube and set. I never looked at what was happening with the inserter and the mechanism etc.

Roche agreed to uplift the 4 months of supplys I had (due to the way our pct orders), I thought that the problem was down to just 1 particular batch of sets I had.

I will never go back to any flexilink sets at all. I went to rapid d ones, and like Hazza, I have never looked back, and never had any problems with them.

The rapid d's are also better as you prime the sets BEFORE inserting them, so you are not priming air through your skin before the insulin is pushed through, so know thoughts of having to give a little extra to prime the cannulas.

The connectors from tubing to cannulas are miles better too.

I personally agree with Hazza, but I would put it even more strongly...if ANYBODY has problems with sets or occlusions etc, we should not just accept this occuring, otherwise the pumps and sets will never be improved further, and we will all keep suffering with these problems. I also reported my problems to the MHRA website for reporting mechanical NHS mechanical failures. I know from having spoken to the lady from MHRA I am the only person that has ever repported problems with their pump.

I do like my pump, but the flexilink and flexilink plus sets caused me a number of problems with failures and occlusions, complete blank screen on the remote etc, and when our PCT's are paying so much money for this equipment, then I believe that it should be good, and NOT affect my health detrimentally when their sets fail and or occlusions etc.

I know that there is an allowance of occlusions that these machines are allowed to have within 1 year, but I had 'used' my allowance within 1 month, and I was not prepared to put up with it anymore.

I have never heard anything from Roche about my concerns of these sets, and that also disappointed me. We are after all there customers, and even Toyota cars had to do recalls after so many people complained about their brakes failing.

Ithink that the rapid d's are much better, albeit they have to be changed every 24-48 hours.

bonerp

have you tried tenderlinks?

I tried flexlinks but not for me. The rapid D tend to have more occlusions too. Not reliable.

generally the tenderlinks flex under the skin and stay put without too many problems although they do work better if they are changed as recommended. Dont leave any of them in for longer than suggested. I'm terrible at forgetting to change them!

sugar2

Hi,

reading this thread reminded me to get some spares. i was very explicit, that I didn't want Flexilink plus, but flexilink...and apparently that is what they are sending me. I have not had a problem with Flexilink....but thanks to you guys know not to order the flexilink plus.

i am tempted by teh tenderlinks though..ay have to give them a try.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How I just wish that pump manufacturers would send out questionnaires to all of us pumpers after say 3-4 months usage on a pump to find out directly how we feel about the cannulas and setts etc.

Obviously we are all different and we all have our preferred options, but if some of us find that we have problems with certain types of sets or cannulas, I just think it would help themdesign better ones in the future.

It is very hard to determine when starting off on a pump which cannula/set/length of tubing we like or dislike, and of course we are all different, so my problems with occlusions on flexilink plus sets might just be me and a few others, but I really would like the manufacturers to help the NHS costs, and to monitor and report back to the patients and HCP's with details of which sets are most suited to dertain people, their ages, their activities etc, then at least we may be able to make better judgements before we go on to a certain set and have problems.

Thankfully we have the internet to do research, but I would personally have preferred to have made a better choice of set when I went on to the pump rather than having to swop and change until finding the rapid d one that has been so much better for me.

iHs

WendyNicole said:
After repeated instances of bent cannulas and occlusion warnings on the FlexLink Plus system, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed that the direction of the kink in the cannula on removing it is always (more or less) the same and is possibly related to the spring-loaded mechanism which locks the needle out of the way when it is removed?

I have had 3 of these just today, and looking at the way the system works I am wondering if this is a design flaw. As the needle flips 90' as soon as it is removed from the body, no matter how quickly you do this, part of the needle will still be in the end of the cannula when this happens, possibly causing a kink. Anyone care to comment?

Hi Wendy

I've also had loads of problems with the E4 occlusions but have stopped using the Flexlink and Flexlink Plus for a while and am ok at the mo (touch wood) with the Tenderlink.

I dont think the problem is with the cannula kinking as I've just had a go at activating the set without inserting it and the cannula remains straight when withdrawing the little white block needle flip thing. I think there is a design flaw in that the needle inside the tube clip that delivers the insulin is not quite long enough. It barely pierces the membrane and there is a significant gap between the tip of the needle and the cannula itself thus making a void. If the needle was a tiny bit longer these sets would be ok but as they are, I think lots of people will find that they have to put a new set in every 12-15hrs or face having higher bg levels and then the E4's. If you have some 8mm disposable syringes lying about try to insert the syringe needle into the membrane and then you'll see for yourself how far it is able to travel into the membrane before you hit the cannula, then look at the tube clip.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Does anybody from accuchek read these postings? I agree with other comments, although I am not technically minded to see where the fault is. I sent mine back, supposedly for accuchek to review to see if there was a problem with a particular batch that I was sent.

However I do know other people have had the same batch numbers as mine, and I do wonder whether they have had the same problems.....

I just could not see how occlusions could suddenly just start happening on a consistent basis without something mechanically or technically being wrong with the sets.....as now-not one single occlusion since.

Slinger

ive been on my pump now for just over 2 yrs using the flixlink (not flexlink plus). i have never had any problems with the cannulas and never had any occlusions errors on my pump. has everyone been using an insertor or been doing it manually

ste

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Was using the inserter for flexilink and flexilink plus's. Now just put the rapid d's in manually. Having had such bad times's with the first two, I would never go back, I have never had an occlusion again since changing over, and levels pretty much static consistently. The rapid d's are so easy to go in as well, no fear factor of the inserter.

Slinger

i ordered some rapid d's and some tenderlinks yesterday to see how i go with them.

its the first time since being on a pump that i have had to insert a cannula manually, my wife was laughing when i turn with cannula in hand and said 'i dont want to do this', i used to use the introducer for the flexlink. im hoping these will keep me my BG levels more steady.

iHs

Hi Slinger

Although we all refer to the Rapid D as the Rapid D, there is also the Rapid D Link which enables you to disconnect from the set if you want to. The Rapid D doesn't allow this but the Rapid D Link does so make sure that will get the correct set :) It is a lovely set and is more or less flat on the skin.

The Tenderlink I admit does look daunting but goes in fairly painless using something icey cold on the tummy first (ice block or frozen peas etc). Just make sure when you insert the introducer that you don't angle it inwards too much so that the cannula ends up being bent as you withdraw the needle and stick the set down. Evidence of this will be rising bg levels that don't come down with correction or increased TBR.

Slinger

hi iHs,

the rapid d'd are the rapid d links. i have the 70cm transfer set and with about 10cm line on the cannula. i think in future i'll be ordering the 50cm transfer sets.

once ive used this box i will try the tenderlinks unless my BG are really stable (dont fix that is not broke).

cheers
ste

bonerp

I had 4 occlusions yesterday on rapid D's - **** things. Been a bit slack reordering tenderlinks so been using these. Made me order a fresh supply thats for sure!

And managed to rip one out today on a door plate grrrr

sugar2

bonerp said:
I And managed to rip one out today on a door plate grrrr

:D Since getting a pump, my view on door handles has completely changed! they used to be a necessary impliment, that you need to open the door...now they are a minefield of possible problems!

Slinger

Been using the rapid d's for a few days now and so far my bg has been more stable. Maybe when using the flexlink is why I couldn't get my basal sorted. Going to do a fasting tonight and see how my basal is

Ste

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ste

How you getting on since you changed to rapid d's?

Slinger

hi donnellysdogs

been a lot more stable BG readings. i have also tried the tenderlinks which was a bit hairy at first but not to bad once its in. still need to trim my basal at night time. woke up a few times in the morning just hitting hypo's BG.

cheers
ste

Shaolin64

Hi,

I have found that my cannula is a 90 degree kink about half way up the cannula, has anyone else had this problem or similar?
I have heard people not pushing the button until they have stuck the plaster on the skin, which i guess would also bend the cannula but you should notice this. Has anyone had any similar problems liek this?

Cheers

S

iHs

Shaolin64 said:
Hi,

I have found that my cannula is a 90 degree kink about half way up the cannula, has anyone else had this problem or similar?
I have heard people not pushing the button until they have stuck the plaster on the skin, which i guess would also bend the cannula but you should notice this. Has anyone had any similar problems liek this?

Cheers

S

Hi

I think the inserter for the Flexlink Plus sets is needed really to make sure that they go in correctly. My pump rep heard my concerns over the Flexlink Plus and asked how I was pulling off the introducer bit and informed me that I should pull it off by grabbing it at the sides and not at the ends. I told the rep that I was pulling it off at the sides but was told that some people try to pull it off by the ends and that was a possible cause of the cannula kinking.