Thailand Holiday

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
I would really value people's opinions of whether it would be sensible to come off the pump and go back onto injections for my two week holiday to Thailand in July.

I've been abroad with my pump a few times and never really had a problem. I just limited my swimming pool time and kept it in the shade whenever possible but that was for typical lying around beach holidays. This time I plan to be a bit more out and about with some boat trips etc.

Im not going until July so this will give me plenty of time to sort my regime out if I choose to switch back.

Can anyone share any experiences?

Thanks
Xoxox

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you were fine with your pump last time you were travelling I would advise you to take it this time too. However, it's always a good idea to take some backup pens with you, so if you decide during the holiday that the pump isn't working then you could always switch. Also, you may decide to take a couple of days of "pump holiday" during the trip - just use pens for those days (eg maybe the days you are more active) then use your pump on the other days.

Reactions: **shell**

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I fly quite a lot to Penang Malaysia, always take my pump with me and a few spare pens just in case. Never had any issues, take my pump off when swimming, occasionally found my insulin needed changing early - but only if I'd spent a day or two exposed in hot sunshine.

Reactions: **shell**
D

Deleted Account

you may decide to take a couple of days of "pump holiday" during the trip - just use pens for those days (eg maybe the days you are more active) then use your pump on the other days.
For me, coming off the pump for a few days would be more trouble than help: being active, I would not be able to adjust my basal, my bolus doses change slightly over time and I would not know how much I should be bolusing with a pen (it is different to a pump) and going back on to the pump after the holiday may have issues with long acting insulin still in your body (when I started pumping, I was told Lantus can hang around for 4 or 5 days).
I always carry pens with me when I am away but they are for absolute emergency.

I am always active but more so when on holiday. I always wear my pump except when I am in the water. On those occasions, I temporarily reattach myself for a quick bolus equivalent to one hour of basal every hour. If I was very active in the water, I would not worry if this period was extended to two hours.

My pump has been to some pretty hot countries and, provided I keep it out of direct sunlight, I have not had any problems.

In short, if like @**shell** I was lucky enough to be going to Thailand, I would pump my way around the country.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been to Thailand twice with a pump, once without and it’s much easier with a pump. Don't think twice about it, what is it that worries you most?

Reactions: Chas C

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
I’ve been to Thailand twice with a pump, once without and it’s much easier with a pump. Don't think twice about it, what is it that worries you most?
The things that worry me most are:

The heat. I'm doing sleeper trains etc which will no doubt get hot and although I have things to keep my vials and cartridges cool I'm worried about the insulin in my pump.

Water. I hope to spend plenty of time in pools and in the sea. Although I do like what is mentioned above about coming out and doing a quick bolus.

Supplies. Obviously I will be taking emergency back up pens and cartridges but pump supplies take up an awful lot of space.... space that I could use for another pair of shoes!

They all seem quite trivial worries and I've had a pump for four years now so it's nothing new to me. I just feel a little unsure x

D

Deleted Account

The heat. I'm doing sleeper trains etc which will no doubt get hot and although I have things to keep my vials and cartridges cool I'm worried about the insulin in my pump.
I would be surprised if the sleeper trains get that hot that they will damage your pump/insulin.
However, if you are that worried, Frio do pump pouches which you can keep your pump in whilst on the trains.

Supplies. Obviously I will be taking emergency back up pens and cartridges but pump supplies take up an awful lot of space.... space that I could use for another pair of shoes!
You could turn this around and think of it as once you have got through your supplies you have space in your case to buy a new pair of (cheap) shoes in Thailand. If you are anything like me, on the outgoing trip, I fill the space available so have no space for new things.

Reactions: porl69

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@**shell** I had same worries as you on my first trip. Make sure you have enough spares, assume you will use twice as many cartridges as you would at home, put insulin/spare pens in frio wallets when travelling and no access to fridge.

I've spent 14 days white water kayaking in Nepal with no access to fridges and carrying everything in my kayak, food, clothes, insulin etc and all was fine. Also you would be surprised how easy (and cheap) it is to get insulin abroad if you need it.

Enjoy your holiday - it will be great and you'll come home wondering why your worrying now :)

Reactions: Kim Possible

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The things that worry me most are:

Water. I hope to spend plenty of time in pools and in the sea. Although I do like what is mentioned above about coming out and doing a quick bolus.

They all seem quite trivial worries and I've had a pump for four years now so it's nothing new to me. I just feel a little unsure x
Sorry, just seen this. I've slept overnight on the Thai trains and despite the heat, the pump in the insulin was fine although obviously changed every 3days. It’s a pain having to take stuff for plans A,B & C but that’s just the way it is for us. As was commented, at least you'll have space at the end for souvenirs! You probably know about Frio bags to keep insulin and pens cool, they are amazing. I hate the worry before you go on a trek but having done 3 over the last 3 years, you'll look back and wonder why. Do carry on asking questions though, I'll check later.

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spent a year travelling through Malaysia and Thailand with my pump. When I knew I’d be in water, I planned it by the hour. If my hourly dose was 1unit I gave myself 0.5 swam etc for an hour then gave myself the other 0.5 unit when I got out and plugged back in.
Trains were so cheap I always went 2nd or 1st class so no overcrowding to add to the heat. Main problem was the lack of padding on the beds and I always ended up laying on my pump which dug in!
If you go for the smoothies check the ingredients first. I calculated for the fruit but it was a few days before I noticed the creaminess is achieved by adding condensed milk which explained my BG results!
Another point - if you get a boat over to some of the islands, be aware that you are sometimes dropped off in the water. A number of times I had to quickly remove my pump, waterproof it and jump into the water with my backpack. Cheapest isn’t always the best option ha ha!
Enjoy