Type 1 Crossing timezones east to west +7 hours. pretty urgent.

Dragos21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello community,
Is my first thread here, i just found out about you guys; glad to be here!
I've been a diabetic for 12 years now, and I feel that this is my biggest challange so far.
I'm going to travel to the USA, New York for 6 days, and I'm leaving on thursday. The issue is that I have no idea how to adjust my insulin without making big mistakes. My doctor JUST INFORMED ME that i need to take my Humalog only when i'm eating (i knew that my meals and my insulin shots are mandatory) and that my Lantus should stay the same as Romanian hour.
My insulin schedule is:
07:00 - Humalog and meal
13:00 - Humalog and meal
19:00 - Humalog and meal
22:00 - Lantus and snack

So, as she suggested, I will take my Lantus normally, at 22 (New york time :15:00). and humalog just when I'm eating.
I'd like to adjust/delay my insulin so that i'll reach somehow the same hours in New York.. i saw on some website a calculator that suggests I should take half a dose of my Lantus at 22:00 (Romanian ) then a full dose at 22:00 (New york time).

I'm not sure how to proceed. Maybe some of you already been through this and you can advise me :D.

Thank you,

D

Deleted Account

When I travel I move my basal time gradually, 1 or 2 hours per day until I reach the time I want. I find the idea of splitting doses more confusing.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
For such a short trip, I’d take your Lantus at 2200 Romanian time while you’re away. Six days isn’t really long enough to need to make a change.

Dragos21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For such a short trip, I’d take your Lantus at 2200 Romanian time while you’re away. Six days isn’t really long enough to need to make a change.

This is my first option, but I haven't tried so far to take my humalog shots just when i needed to eat.. The rule i've lived by for 12 years is that those 3 are mandatory at those exact hours, and maybe some corrections but no more than 2..
Now i'm thinking that I'll make my lantus at 15:00 New york time, and then I'll stay awake untill 20-22 maybe, and I'll get hungry. Can i eat and take another humalog shot, and in the next day i can just follow my regular schedule for humalog (07,13,19)?

Also, if i take my Lantus at 15, I think at 13 i should inject less insulin units, right? :-?

*also, i want to apologize if don't make myself undestood.

Thank you.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
With a rapid acting insulin like Humalog, the idea is that you just take it when you choose to eat, no matter what time of day that may be. The Lantus provides the background, and needs to be taken every 24 hours, as you are on a once a day dose. I was on it myself for many years, and travelled from the U.K. both west to America and east to Thailand. I just took it at whatever local time was the same as 2300 GMT. I ate meals at local meal times and took my fast acting Novorapid when I ate. Is there a reason for sticking so hard and fast to your 0700/1300/1900 times? The whole point of the basal/bolus regime is to give you the flexibility to eat when and if you want, and cover the food with a shot of fast acting, while taking your background at regular 24 hour intervals.

Dragos21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With a rapid acting insulin like Humalog, the idea is that you just take it when you choose to eat, no matter what time of day that may be. The Lantus provides the background, and needs to be taken every 24 hours, as you are on a once a day dose. I was on it myself for many years, and travelled from the U.K. both west to America and east to Thailand. I just took it at whatever local time was the same as 2300 GMT. I ate meals at local meal times and took my fast acting Novorapid when I ate. Is there a reason for sticking so hard and fast to your 0700/1300/1900 times? The whole point of the basal/bolus regime is to give you the flexibility to eat when and if you want, and cover the food with a shot of fast acting, while taking your background at regular 24 hour intervals.
There's no need for me to stick with my regular hours. Just wanted to be sure that nothing bad will happen to me.
Also, is it ok if I take a humalog shot at 13-14, and then I take my lantus at around 15 ?

Thank you for all of your replies.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is 1500 New York time the same as 2200 Romanian time? That looks like a good idea if it is. You’d be taking it at the usual 24h intervals then. As it’s such a short trip, it would be easier than trying to adjust to USA time.

As for your Humalog, take it whenever it’s a mealtime where you are. That bit is totally flexible! Just keep a close eye on your glucose levels as travel can mess about with our stress hormones etc, and enjoy your trip! And carry lots of glucose tablets so you can make corrections if necessary :)

Dragos21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is lantus also affecting my glucose levels shortly after I inject ? Should I lower my lunch dose or not ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Only you can decide whether to adjust your lunchtime dose. Do you carb count? The Lantus is supposed to provide a steady background level, but has a bit of a peak at 4-6 hours, I think. There’s so many variables with travelling, you just need to monitor your levels closely and adjust accordingly, I’m afraid.

Pneu

I travel a lot generally when going backwards in timezone I will inject at my normal time in the new timezone. Keep in mind you will therefore inject around 6 hour late and I would therefore be testing more just to keep an eye on BGs and inject a correction dose if they rose to high during the 6 hour period.