Type 2 Low carb

Lucy_Betts_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not being allowed to have chocolate
I really want to go low carb but I'm struggling as I am used to having cereal for breakfast and that won't work with low carb! I can't face eating meat or fish for breakfast and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. Eggs are okay at weekends when I can eat after I've been up for a while but won't work in the week as I like to eat before work and couldn't face an egg that early.
Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not a fan of eggs and bacon for breakfast at home (when I’m away I love it, I think that’s just cos someone else cooked it!). So at home I make low carb coconut ‘porridge’, not real porridge, not a grain in sight. I have it every day with two or three strawberries and cream. Here’s the recipe if you fancy it:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

ObscureMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Lucy_Betts_
I have two dessert spoons of full fat Greek yoghurt, topped with mixed seeds (from Lidl, sunflower, pumpkin, linseed & sesame seed), pine nuts and ground cinnamon. Has a nice crunch and cinnamon adds a bit of flavour.
I reckon about 6g of carbs in total. Worth a try.

But then I do have a 2 egg scrambled egg or a boiled egg as well as I find I need a bit more brekkie to keep me going.

Reactions: dbr10

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm either Lidl's yoghurt with nuts and Straws, rasps or Passion fruit.
or
celery, olives, nuts and cheese
on work days.
I really would suggest anything other than cereals, they are not going to do you many favours.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really want to go low carb but I'm struggling as I am used to having cereal for breakfast and that won't work with low carb! I can't face eating meat or fish for breakfast and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. Eggs are okay at weekends when I can eat after I've been up for a while but won't work in the week as I like to eat before work and couldn't face an egg that early.
Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

You could do something like hard boiled eggs and if necessary, you could take them to work with you to eat in a break, or whatever.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have home made yoghurt with some berries, whatever is in season, or some cinnamon or mixed spice with a cup of black coffee (I need the caffeine to get me going). Treat days I have eggs, bacon, toms, mushrooms (all cooked in the fat from the bacon with a little olive oil if necessary) and coffee.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't eat brekky either, also most of the time no lunch either,but trying to add lunch these days, but don't always fancy it

Reactions: dunelm

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Greek yoghurt. Frozen berries warmed in a pan so that the berries become juicy, spoon yoghurt over berries and add some cinnamon, and mixed seeds. I will have this for lunch when I eat lunch but can be had at brekky time. What about sausages and mushrooms? High meat content sausages as the carb is low then. You could cook the sausages the night before and heat them up in the microwave. Make your own granola, do a large batch and store it so as ready to eat at brekky time, best to add Almond milk or yoghurt with that rather than normal milk

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Lucy_Betts_
It really depends on how many carbs you are prepared to have and how you define 'low carb'. I see some here are only having < 20g per day. I call myself a low carb person but not fanatical. I have 20g per meal or 30g if it is a very low GI. Some have less, some have more.

For me, processed cereals from the box are out. Too high in carbs and GI. I find that I can tolerate porridge quite well. The only catch being that it must be Lowan brand, low GI rolled oats and only 40g dry weight. That gives me 17g plus 5 g for the milk. It doesn't push my BG up by more than 1 to 1.5 and back down in two hours. I acknowledge we're all different though but it may be worth considering if you can handle it and willing to cook it on the stove. The berries as suggested is excellent too. I have this 1 to 2 times a week and sometimes for lunch. Unlike yourself I actually like bacon, snags and eggs so they get a workout too.
Glenn

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By missing breakfast you’re essentially fasting for half your life.